• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Test driving 223 vrx tomorrow, need input ASAP

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at the chaps before I bought my AR last year and liked them a lot. I agree the interiors were far nicer and I liked the overall look better. My concerns like others are the BRP engines, heard to many bad stories about them and the plastic jet nozzles. Also pricing was much higher for the same size boat. I like that my boat is all one manufacturer so no dickering over warranty issues. Nice boat though, which I could have one of each!!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the review, I too love the looks of the chaps. You plan on getting it?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am now the proud owner of a Chaparral 223 vrx :) Signed paperwork today....just have to wait a few months to enjoy....nothing like paying 1,000 over the next 3 months before you even get to enjoy it. The good news is that I plan on checking in and reporting issues. Like many others, I am nervous about the Rotax engines. The yamaha engines almost swayed me but we fell in love with the chaparral. My plan is to give feedback on clogging of jets, maintenance, reliabiity, performance and up. Fuel and noise levels as well. Being new to jets, I found it very difficult to differentiate fact vs fiction when reading online info. I know it's a case study of one boat, but every bit helps build the knowledge base.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats can't wait to hear from you about all this. As a lot of us want to know these things, especially the longevity of the BRP's and the clean out port issue. That is the two hottest topics on everyone's mind.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations and I look forward to the reviews. I like the design and extras but I think that is what I will expect for the $60K range given the competition across all lines of boats. Funny that you get a "free" wakeboard with the boat.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats! Can't wait to hear all about it. The 223 is definitely on my list of boats to consider when I decide to get something new.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have two jet skis with the rotax engines (2006) and not a lick of trouble outside of a starter solenoid replacement at around 180 hours (on both, but only $16). I too received the 5 year warranty on my 223VRX which makes me feel good. Plus I met with one of the BRP engineers last month at the boat show and he said they may be extending the supercharger recommended rebuild to 300 or 400 hours. Lack of clean out ports has not been an issue (so far, not to jinx it). I look forward to hearing more about your experience.... come on spring!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you learn the sequence for the reverse move you probably won't have many issues with weeds, it is actually quicker to remove the weeds that way that using the clean out ports. Also try to avoid using reverse in shallow water since it kicks up the bottom and sends it up into your intake grates.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Beautiful! Are the seat cushions hinged on the bottom or do you have to lift them out/remove to access the storage underneath them? I know the 243
Has hinged seats but not sure about the 223. That's a nice feature that I would like on my next boat.
The 2015 223 seats have no hinges. All are lift-outs.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a bummer. Don't get me wrong, the boats are very nice, but at $55K - $60K +, I'm going to want some hinged seats!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a bummer. Don't get me wrong, the boats are very nice, but at $55K - $60K +, I'm going to want some hinged seats!
I've had them(hinged cushions), I've dealt with their issues...... don't want them in my boat! Removable cushions are the way to go IMHO, but it's total preference. Seems like the masses want what the expensive lines have just because.

Vortexguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Your 223 Vortex with the twin 250s should run around 63mph after 7-8 hrs of break in. I worked at a Chaparral Dealer and spent many hours on all the models. Own a 243 myself and have owned Yamahas as well. The Vortex is just a better built boat. Check out the website Chaparral has dedicated to the Vortex. It shows comparisons on the water with the Yamaha. After aprox 50 hours on the Vortex I can tell you it is one of the most impressive boats I have owned. We have a 33 ft formula that hardly ever gets used now that we have the Vortex.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Very interesting to read this forum. I took a big leap in buying a 223 VR with 150hp's in England. Now waiting for it to arrive from the states and will trailer it down to a lake on the alps where my house is. I was totally taken by the fit and finish and the layout of the boat. My concern was mainly around fuel consumption, given that we pay way more for gas in Europe than you do in the states. Fortunately there has a been a recent drop in price and that calmed my concern (although probably falsely as it will eventually rise again .. but hey.. you only live once !).. Anyone have an real world data on cruising gas consumption? Look forward to sharing my experiences when I have got it up and running this summer. Here's a (winter) picture of my mooring !
Talloires2.jpg

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What a beautiful spot! What is the elevation there? Will be very interested to read your impressions of the boat once you get to use it.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice looking boat at a glance. I'm not too sure about the crowded engine compartment. But, if you aren't going to do your own maintenance, then I guess that is okay.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Very interesting to read this forum. I took a big leap in buying a 223 VR with 150hp's in England. Now waiting for it to arrive from the states and will trailer it down to a lake on the alps where my house is. I was totally taken by the fit and finish and the layout of the boat. My concern was mainly around fuel consumption, given that we pay way more for gas in Europe than you do in the states. Fortunately there has a been a recent drop in price and that calmed my concern (although probably falsely as it will eventually rise again .. but hey.. you only live once !).. Anyone have an real world data on cruising gas consumption? ....
:Welcome:

I have the same boat as you. VR with twin 150's. Unfortunately I have not seen my boat since last October, so what I am saying here is going from memory (but I tend to obsess about my boat, so I think my memory is pretty good on this subject :D ) At no wake speed I was getting 4-5 miles per gal. When playing with the throttle down and pushing it, I was in the 1 1/2 miles per gal. And when on cruise at around 30 mph, or when I had the ECO selection on (boat determines best cruising speed for gas consumption) I was getting in the 3 1/2 miles per gal range.

For weight in boat, which affects this, I generally have a full take of fuel and a family of 4 on the boat, plus kids friends and often 2 dogs which add another 150 pounds.

I am about a month away from getting my boat in the water. If after I do and I see that I have made any mistakes to these numbers, I will let you know.

Enjoy your boat when you get it!! That looks like an absolutely wonderful scenic place to boat on. Post back often with questions, comments or anything else related to your Chaparral. We need to build our data base here with information, questions and pictures.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
What a beautiful spot! What is the elevation there? Will be very interested to read your impressions of the boat once you get to use it.
Hi.. it is about 400 metres above sea level.. and the mountain behind goes up to about 2,200 at the highest spot. Yes its stunningly beautiful. Will let you know how the boat deals with it

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
:Welcome:

I have the same boat as you. VR with twin 150's. Unfortunately I have not seen my boat since last October, so what I am saying here is going from memory (but I tend to obsess about my boat, so I think my memory is pretty good on this subject :D ) At no wake speed I was getting 4-5 miles per gal. When playing with the throttle down and pushing it, I was in the 1 1/2 miles per gal. And when on cruise at around 30 mph, or when I had the ECO selection on (boat determines best cruising speed for gas consumption) I was getting in the 3 1/2 miles per gal range.

For weight in boat, which affects this, I generally have a full take of fuel and a family of 4 on the boat, plus kids friends and often 2 dogs which add another 150 pounds.

I am about a month away from getting my boat in the water. If after I do and I see that I have made any mistakes to these numbers, I will let you know.

Enjoy your boat when you get it!! That looks like an absolutely wonderful scenic place to boat on. Post back often with questions, comments or anything else related to your Chaparral. We need to build our data base here with information, questions and pictures.
Thanks for the info.. (or maybe not!)... in Europe we tend to work in terms of X litres of fuel per 100km.. so when i did the conversion of 3.5 your miles/gal that works out at about 80litres/100km. and with the current price of gas thats about €110 or $125.. Scary !!