• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Brand New 2017 Yamaha AR195 and SX195

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know what is wrong with the boattest.com? They used to be spot on with their reviews, it is complete shit now. This is a part of their review of the 2017 SX195... o_Oo_Oo_O
upload_2016-12-13_22-24-53.png

Problem, anyone?

Hell, yeah. This is a 2015+ 240/242 or a 2017 212X. Super misleading/confusing.
There is no articulating keel in 195s, just a small "rudder" appended to the ride plate.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
BTW - their (boattest) review of the new 210 with TR-1 engines is completely flawed, too.

--

Last edited:

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree, they showed the wrong boat model in that section. 195's only have one engine last I checked...LOL. They do consider that rudder a "articulating Keel" though, pretty complex name for a small little rudder.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The performance numbers look pretty good though, and the cruise speed fuel economy seems better than the 192?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The performance numbers look pretty good though, and the cruise speed fuel economy seems better than the 192?
I noticed that, too. Assuming it is correct, I wonder if that is the benefit of the more efficient larger pump (160mm)?
To put in perspective though, at WOT these boats are basically on par with 240s (20 vs 22gph). They run on premium, too.

--

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed that, too. Assuming it is correct, I wonder if that is the benefit of the more efficient larger pump (160mm)?
To put in perspective though, at WOT these boats are basically on par with 240s (20 vs 22gph). They run on premium, too.

--
Very true, I didn't think about the premium fuel requirement... Yamaha needs to make a larger displacement normally aspirated marine motor and strap it onto the 160mm pump! 2.5L maybe?

Mandalaya

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha has really stepped up their small boat game by adding the SVHO engine and 160 mm pump to the 19 foot hull. This engine powers the 195 to a maximum speed of just under 55 MPH which is a gain of 6 MPH over the previous 192 series.

The SVHO engine comes with;
  • A larger intercooler increasing cooling efficiency by 25%
  • A larger super chamber in the turbo
  • Larger injectors to increase fuel flow
  • A new, stronger forged piston design
  • A new oil cooler increasing cooling efficiency by 110%
The 160 mm pump has;
  • A 8 vane stator
  • A 75mm hub diameter
  • A 4 bolt end cone
The interior of the new 195 series has a Carega Italian steering wheel, all new upholstery and billet aluminum grab handles.

The single clean out plug is the new design that Yamaha has rolled out across all models.

Pictures of the new 195s are available in these threads 2017 Yamaha AR195 Photos and 2017 Yamaha SX195 Photos.

@Julian had the pleasure of trying out the new 195s earlier this month. Here is his video review.

Yamaha added an engine that is over 20% more powerful, runnning on more expensive 91 octane gas and it only increased maximum speed by 6 MPH, with about the same time to plane and acceleration and gas consumption. Are there any other gains or advantages that would justify moving into the 195 series?

Mandalaya

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know what is wrong with the boattest.com? They used to be spot on with their reviews, it is complete shit now. This is a part of their review of the 2017 SX195... o_Oo_Oo_O
View attachment 49202

Problem, anyone?

Hell, yeah. This is a 2015+ 240/242 or a 2017 212X. Super misleading/confusing.
There is no articulating keel in 195s, just a small "rudder" appended to the ride plate.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
BTW - their (boattest) review of the new 210 with TR-1 engines is completely flawed, too.

--
What is the rudder made off? Does not look very strong.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the rudder made off? Does not look very strong.
Oh, no worries there, those are VERY strong. Built of some kind of aluminum alloy. Same as the ride plate and the pump.
Those "articulating keels" have been around for two years now, I have not heard of any failures or damage specifically to that part or the "rudder" which is a part of the ride plate in the new 190/192s.
There has been a 240 boat that ripped the whole hull off on some rocks about a year ago. But that's different.

--

Cheappc-ari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
So, I picked up my 2017 AR195 today. I'm coming from a Seadoo Speedster 255. We only had time for the dealer delivery ride today, but there are some nice fit and finish touches in addition to the more obvious mechanical improvements. I'll try posting up some picks soon. New to the forum so I'm sure I'll encounter some hurdles.
I have a speedster 155, thinking of moving up to a 195... how do you like it so far, pros and cons coming from a speedster 255? thanks in advance..

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have a speedster 155, thinking of moving up to a 195... how do you like it so far, pros and cons coming from a speedster 255? thanks in advance..
Is your Speedster the 15' length?

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Yea its the same as the speedster 255
I had a 15' Speedster 255 before I got the SX192. I think it is a logical step up if you need more room in the boat but still want a manageable size for towing and storage. The few times I had someone sitting in the rear facing seat in the Speedster, I had to be careful not to take water over the bow at low speeds where four people can comfortably spend the day in a 19' Yamaha. The large bimini top on the SX adds to comfort also. Because of the compact engine mounted low, I think the usable interior space is comparable to many 21' i/o boats. I think my 255 was faster than the Yamaha but the boat was so short, I could only use full power in smooth water and had to slow down for boat wakes. The Yamaha's size handles chop well. I liked the two stick controls of the Sea-Doo as I think throttle control was better but the Yamaha controls work fine. Even though I haven't sucked anything into the Yamaha, having the clean-out ports is a comfort. I had to idle back to the ramp a few times to clear debris from the Sea-Doo.
When I made the switch, Sea-Doo had already stopped making boats and I have never seen any of the other brands of jet boats using BRP motors so I only considered Yamaha. I also assumed that everything about Yamaha would be superior to Sea-Doo. We had our Speedster for five years, other than a battery that died instantly, we had no problems with it. I was surprised how smooth the three cylinder engine was. I have not had the same reliability from the Yamaha. After two years and 80 hours, my timing chain and gears failed due to the known problem. My engine was replaced with improved parts that are on the new boats. While I am glad I didn't have to fight Yamaha to get the engine replaced, it took four months to complete the work. No one in authority at Yamaha expressed any regret that I had four months of downtime on a boat that I was still making payments on.
I have the boat back now and it is running well so I hope the problems are behind me.

Cheappc-ari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Wow! Thanks for your reply, you know I heard so many bad stories about Sea-Doo that when I purchased my speedster in 2012 I made sure they gave me the 3 year extended warranty..

its been 5 years I also never had anything wrong go wrong with my Sea-Doo except my battery which is to be expected, I have taking out every other weekend for 5 years and absolutely no issues at all, it's been a blast, knocking on wood..

What about ease of towing?, Ease of trailering? Is there any hassle compared to the speedster?

Thanks for your reply! It sure is helping me make up my mind

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I don't know if I am the best resource on towing the 15' Sea-Doo vs. 19' Yamaha but here is my experience: For the first four years with the Sea Doo, I was towing with a 6cyl. Toyota Tacoma with manual transmission. I could tell it was back there but it towed easily and the MPG stayed the same because I drove slower when towing. When I bought a truck camper, I bought a Ford F-250 diesel. I had the F-250 the last year with the Sea Doo. As you can imagine, I couldn't tell it was back there and couldn't even see it when I had the camper on the truck. I can tell the Yamaha is back there when towing with the F-250 and it costs 1-2 MPG but otherwise there is no drama. I couldn't tell you if the trailer brakes help at all. We tow through the hills every weekend. I think any full-size truck would pull the Yamaha easily. I don't have any experience pulling that size boat with mid-size 6 cyl vehicles so I can't comment about driveablity. But given the varying steepness and condition of launch ramps, I prefer that my tow vehicle weigh substantially more than the boat.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Excuse me if this has been addressed previously... Can I put 15 rims on AR195 boat trailer? It has 215 75 14..... 14x6 5 lug rims... if 15 will work did tire size have to change (215)..?

Mandalaya

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone upgraded from a SX/AR 192 to the 195 and can provide a good real life experience pros and cons?

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry, no help here , went straight for the AR195...last boat was..IMG_0557.JPG

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
From school bus driver to jet pilot:winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup"