• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Official "2018 boats are coming" thread!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are my reasons:

No props - for safety and water sports use
Smaller and lighter engines so potentially more cabin/deck space and 'trailerability'
Quick hole shot and time to plane
Single manufacturer to deal with warranty issues - in addition to a good warranty period
Twin engines for redundancy and maneuverability
Plus all of the other benefits that come inherently with the engines (low maintenance, easy winterization, etc.)

I'm sure there are other reasons I can think of, but those are the ones that come to the top of mind.

Edit: I will add that I think the overseas Yamaha cabin cruisers are fugly and would not sell well in the North American market. They look dated and not on par with recent advances in hull designs and applications.
Granted I am ignorant, but some of these things don't mesh up on a 30' plus boat. I get the no prop aspect, but I don't think saving a few hundred pounds on the engines is going to make a difference trailering a 30+' boat. You are going to need a really stout tow vehicle regardless, and isn't storing a jetboat on the water a no no?

Single manufacturer to deal with warranty issues - in addition to a good warranty period.
We don't know what a Yamaha 30'+ jetboat warranty period would be, and is that different than other cabin cruisers? Is it a major hassle to get warranty service work on a Mercury engine if the hull was manufactured by Chaparral, and vice versa?

To me cabin cruisers are luxury not performance. You are talking about a luxury boat and one of the pros you can save some money by changing the oil yourself. To me these are all huge pluses to the family buying a 40-50k ski boat, but don't make much impact in the luxury market.

Aren't there already lot of cabin cruisers with twin engines? And maybe I am wrong but I doubt the engine performance you see in the current boats translates into a much bigger boat.

I get wanting to see something different, but if I have 200k (and I don't) to spend on a boat I don't think Yamaha's performance in the quality department lends it self well to that market.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Granted I am ignorant, but some of these things don't mesh up on a 30' plus boat. I get the no prop aspect, but I don't think saving a few hundred pounds on the engines is going to make a difference trailering a 30+' boat. You are going to need a really stout tow vehicle regardless, and isn't storing a jetboat on the water a no no?

Single manufacturer to deal with warranty issues - in addition to a good warranty period.
We don't know what a Yamaha 30'+ jetboat warranty period would be, and is that different than other cabin cruisers? Is it a major hassle to get warranty service work on a Mercury engine if the hull was manufactured by Chaparral, and vice versa?

To me cabin cruisers are luxury not performance. You are talking about a luxury boat and one of the pros you can save some money by changing the oil yourself. To me these are all huge pluses to the family buying a 40-50k ski boat, but don't make much impact in the luxury market.

Aren't there already lot of cabin cruisers with twin engines? And maybe I am wrong but I doubt the engine performance you see in the current boats translates into a much bigger boat.

I get wanting to see something different, but if I have 200k (and I don't) to spend on a boat I don't think Yamaha's performance in the quality department lends it self well to that market.
Not to speak for everyone else, but I don't think people are looking for a 30+ foot luxury yacht. I think a 25' cuddy or even a 27' cruiser would be the logical next step. Typically in that size range single engines are still the norm. I also think that regardless of the size of boat, there are people who will do their own maintenance, especially on engines as easily serviceable as ours are. I am sure there are plenty of folks who change their own oil and winterize their trailerable cruisers. The problem is, with an I/O or larger inboard engine, they become more complex to do the simple things that we take for granted. Lower units, bellows, draining the block, etc.

I do however agree on a few of your points - first, many have speculated that Yamaha has looked at larger platforms but either efficiency or engine mating hasn't worked. Second, Yamaha's are current designed to be trailered or kept on a lift, period. Third, Yamaha definitely would need to step up its game in the quality department. Unsealed anchor locker compartments, thin fiberglassing, and other issues don't lend themselves to the quality that people expect as they go up in the size of boat. But their are still plenty of mid to low end manufacturers that have found a place in the cruiser market.

I think if Yamaha tested the waters with even a cuddy in the 24' market they would see it sell well. That personally isn't what I am looking for, I would like to see something in the 27' range or ideally a larger bowrider with a midcabin but that would take a large diversion from their current hull designs and significant R&D.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's fair. Your points are certainly more valid framed as a 25-27 cuddy. I got the 30' # from the several other posters dreaming of the overseas Yamaha picture on this thread and specifically mentioning a 30 plus foot boat. I'm not in the market for either. Outside of the safety of no prop, I just think the appeal of Yamaha jetboats diminishes the more money you have to spend and the bigger the boat gets. As hole shot, draft, and jetboat handling become less important

Last edited:

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would like to see a yamaha 16 footer, 4-5 seater. Like the Scarab 165, with the 195 engine and pumps. Would look really good next to my bigger boat! How fun would that be!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to see a yamaha 16 footer, 4-5 seater. Like the Scarab 165, with the 195 engine and pumps. Would look really good next to my bigger boat! How fun would that be!
Those do look fun, but to me Scarab prices those in no mans land for what you are getting. How well do they perform? Their higher end versions are 27k lower end 18k. It seems like you can get so much more boat elsewhere for those prices. But those should fit in just about any garage.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The yamaha 165 would be a side by side jet ski for me and the wife on smooth water days. All boats cost too much but, can you get two top end skis and a trailer for 25k? That's what I would compare it too cost wise. How fast you think it would be?

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think the 165 is the equivalent of two top end skis imo because it's not going to really matching performance. The Scarab board posts seem to say the base is high 30s top speed not sure on the 250hp option. Even lower end skis will top that.

I would think you can get two reasonable skis and dual trailer for 25k and still come out ahead on performance. And if you want the boat aspect a bevy of other runabouts in the 25k range that give you more versatility if it doesn't have to be a jet. The Sx190 would be a better option imo at 28k. They still look fun and cool, so if money is no concern I'd have one. That's more their market less practical more cool. I am guessing if Yamaha came out with their version it probably would be priced lower than the Scarab versions as Yamahas are generally cheaper than the Scarab counterparts.

Last edited:

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Damn, I just thought it sounded like fun. Sucked all the fun out of this thread...

Mtschelling

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
After seeing the ASP on the Chaps at last years Hartford CT boat show can't help but think Yamaha could easily match and or put there own flair on an extension for watersports or lounging.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my opinion, I doubt we'll see any big improvements in the 24' boats this year. I also expect that if you are willing to wait for the 2018 lineup, you'll see some bigger discounts on leftovers as fall and winter starts to show up.

Mike Serra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would love to see at least a 75 gallon fuel tank on the 24' boats. I'd probably trade in the 2017 I just bought!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After seeing the ASP on the Chaps at last years Hartford CT boat show can't help but think Yamaha could easily match and or put there own flair on an extension for watersports or lounging.
yeah, Yamaha has to have something like this in the works. Everybody and their brother wants to surf now. So much so people are making the jump to v drive boats. All the big names have pricepoint boats now so you can get a real wake boat starting in the 60's.

Mike Serra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How bad is it? A bit absurd that my twin 1000cc have the same fuel tank as your twin 1800cc. I feel like I'm never at the pump
It's not that bad.. Just have wished the tank was larger so I can avoid marina pricing when we take longer trips (50 - 70 miles one way) or when pulling tubes all day. The least amount I have burned in one day is 25 gallons and the most about 65 so far. That is cruising about 28mph ~5900 - 6000rpm / ~13gph. You would think that on a boat that burns 26-27gph WOT would have a larger tank than 50 gallons.

Jayg2002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
About to place a deposit on a 2018 SX 195. So excited. See pics of 19 ft models my dealer shared with me

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmm that AR195 graphic reminds me of the Glastrom