• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

These Kenwood Amps are a fantastic value..

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Am I being overly optimistic in trying to simplify the install of this Kenwood KAC-M3004 amp OR hopefully I am reading this correct? I have attached a couple images from the owners manual that came with the amp I received today. First question : Image #1 seems to indicate that a separate "power on wire" is NOT required for this model ? The way I read this only a positive wire from the battery (10 gauge) and a similar 10 gauge ground wire from battery negative post plus the RCA inputs from pre amp output are all that is needed ? I believe Kenwood calls this Auto Signal Sensing. That would leave connection labeled #4 in the second attachment unused ? Secondly : Should I still put an inline fuse on the positive wire from the battery being that the amp has a 30 amp fuse ( #1 on image #2) built in ? I will not be running a sub (at least on this amp) only six Polk MM651UMs , therefore plan to use only 10 gauge wire from the battery compartment to the helm area. Thanks all !

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@WildCatFan54, my understanding was that auto sensing works with high level (speaker output) signals connected to the amplifier but may not work if RCA cables are used for the signal.

10 gauge wire would be marginal at 10' of length. 8 gauge is preferable.

A fuse near the battery or distribution channel would protect your boat if the wires were somehow shorted before the amplifier.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Put in a power distribution block at your helm.. fuse it there.

Use a power turn on lead that way the amp wont drain your battery if the auto sensing voltage crap doesnt work.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You guys are the BEST. Thats why I ask for a second / third opinion. Thanks

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@WildCatFan54 I had a P-con wire in a bundle on the back of my kenwwood KMR-765-BT and connected it to the P-con connection on the amp. And I used RCA cables between the receiver and the amp.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
thanks @zipper. I will carefully examine the factory wiring bundle in the helm area looking for a P-con wire before running another.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From my experience with the "auto sensing" stuff: yeah, it works. Neat. However, sometimes it takes a while for the amp to turn off. That leads to unnecessary battery drain. When you hook up the remote wire, the powering on/off of the amp happens at the same time as the source of the remote (hooked to your stereo or a switched 12v source). You're already running RCAs from your stereo to the amp, so just include an additional wire for the remote when you fish the wires. Heck, I'm pretty sure you can buy RCA cables with the remote wire built in (it's usually a third wire between the two RCA cables), meaning you'd only have to fish one cable from the stereo!

Audiophiles, please correct me if I am wrong here, but yes, you need a fuse close to the battery on the power supply wiring. I'm pretty sure that fuse is to protect your cables and prevent a fire in the event of a short more than it is to protect your amp (which already has a fuse, like you said).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I'm using 4 gauge wire rated at 150 amps from the battery to a distribution block, will a 100 amp circuit breaker suffice as a fuse between the battery and distribution block? Or do I need to use a fuse just above operating amperage (30 each amp, s0 a 60 amp fuse)?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I'm using 4 gauge wire rated at 150 amps from the battery to a distribution block, will a 100 amp circuit breaker suffice as a fuse between the battery and distribution block? Or do I need to use a fuse just above operating amperage (30 each amp, s0 a 60 amp fuse)?
A 100 amp fuse will be fine. The purpose of the fuse is not to protect the amps but to prevent fire.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I ordered the amp and it has arrived. Will be installing. This amp seems too good to be true, especially for the price. But I'm looking forward to putting it in.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ordered the amp and it has arrived. Will be installing. This amp seems too good to be true, especially for the price. But I'm looking forward to putting it in.
I hooked up both amps last night to test before buttoning everything up. One of the open box amps had the gain cranked up, LOUD is all I can say :D

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hooked up both amps last night to test before buttoning everything up. One of the open box amps had the gain cranked up, LOUD is all I can say :D
Awesome! It certainly seems to get great reviews.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The circuitry for Class D anplifiers is significantly improving and becoming more widely available. As this trend continues much of the "magic" engineering needed for manufacturing amplifiers will become less important. I expert that on a few years we will see amplifiers from value minded companies like MonoPrice that are equal in performance to JL and other high priced offerings.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The circuitry for Class D anplifiers is significantly improving and becoming more widely available. As this trend continues much of the "magic" engineering needed for manufacturing amplifiers will become less important. I expert that on a few years we will see amplifiers from value minded companies like MonoPrice that are equal in performance to JL and other high priced offerings.
Here is one good example of this trend:
http://www.nvx.com/mvpa4-4-channel-compact-car-amplifier-400w-rms/

--

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well....I took the plunge on one of these amps for $120 on Amazon and all it can say is....I must have gotten a dud. It pops when starting up and is garbled and then actually works and sounds great. When I take the volume down to zero and move it then it pops again. Very annoying. I'll return this one and might give it another try. It also pops when turning off. I have turn-on wire instead of signal sensing and my JL amp that powers my towers and sub works perfectly. If it doesn't work like it does for most of you I'll likely just bit the bullet and go with the JD m400/4.

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well....I took the plunge on one of these amps for $120 on Amazon and all it can say is....I must have gotten a dud. It pops when starting up and is garbled and then actually works and sounds great. When I take the volume down to zero and move it then it pops again. Very annoying. I'll return this one and might give it another try. It also pops when turning off. I have turn-on wire instead of signal sensing and my JL amp that powers my towers and sub works perfectly. If it doesn't work like it does for most of you I'll likely just bit the bullet and go with the JD m400/4.
Sorry to hear yours didn't work out. Mine don't pop at all. You must have gotten a bad one. The two that I have come on right away without any noise and are really loud when turned up. I need to tune them a little more. Right now they top out at 80% volume and start to distort just a bit, but I'm betting I can fix that by properly tuning them.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear yours didn't work out. Mine don't pop at all. You must have gotten a bad one. The two that I have come on right away without any noise and are really loud when turned up. I need to tune them a little more. Right now they top out at 80% volume and start to distort just a bit, but I'm betting I can fix that by properly tuning them.
I swapped the speaker level level inputs and used a line level from my aux out and it still popped when turning the volume. I thought the speaker level inputs might be the issue. I've never used speaker level but I know it's a common practice for car audio. I'd like to keep my 3 zones (4 if you count sub woofer dedicated channel) as I can control boat, tower, and sub speakers independently without an external device.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Partly finished. I need to add the 2 new speakers mid cabin, and I'm still waiting on that powered sub from Sonix Electronics.

I had a little trouble getting that 8 gauge wire under the terminals for the amps. I'll have to try and find some spade connectors and re do it, but it sound fabulous in my driveway and from 50 feet away.

View attachment 55391 View attachment 55392 View attachment 55393 View attachment 55394
@firecap797 I love the clean look. Where did you get the power distribution box?