• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

This looks pretty effective and it won't rip your pump off

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That link does not work.
Even though I don't wake surf I am glad that I started this post as it may be of some importance to those of you who do. Also Gatlin has been making wake parts for quite a while and perhaps this will be of some interest to them.
I would imagine making one deflector overlaid on a base that attaches to the boat and having adjustments so that you can find the best depth setting for your boat would be a easy enough way to determine the proper level of influence for your needs. Also looking at alternate materials like aluminum may be something to look into .

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That link does not work.
Even though I don't wake surf I am glad that I started this post as it may be of some importance to those of you who do. Also Gatlin has been making wake parts for quite a while and perhaps this will be of some interest to them.
I would imagine making one deflector overlaid on a base that attaches to the boat and having adjustments so that you can find the best depth setting for your boat would be a easy enough way to determine the proper level of influence for your needs. Also looking at alternate materials like aluminum may be something to look into .
Well, easier said than done... lol

I'm still somewhat curious about the WakeBooster.
But I'm willing to bet the Gatlin Wedge and swim deck bag will still take it home, for now.
I would definitely want to see what people think of the Yamaha new surfboard, it is counter-intuitive as that design would not be the fastest, in theory. My Hyperlite Quad (which is about the fastest there is) works extremely well with Yamaha wake, but I'd like something else for smaller riders.
Surf TVs..? I don't think so.

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well, easier said than done... lol

I'm still somewhat curious about the WakeBooster.
But I'm willing to bet the Gatlin Wedge and swim deck bag will still take it home, for now.
I would definitely want to see what people think of the Yamaha new surfboard, it is counter-intuitive as that design would not be the fastest, in theory. My Hyperlite Quad (which is about the fastest there is) works extremely well with Yamaha wake, but I'd like something else for smaller riders.
Surf TVs..? I don't think so.

--
Yeah I tend agree with you about gatlin stuff from what I’ve seen. My guess is that there will be a trade off. Want the biggest nicest wake... go with gatlin. Want the most convient wake that you still can surf (especially with mixed side families).... go with wakebooster. That’s my gut feeling for now til we get some more real world reviews coming in on the booster.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Wakebooster is not marketed for the single engine Yamahas although the tie attachment area underneath the swim platform is nearly the same, if not larger than the twin engine boats.

I assume the problem is that it would act more like a jammed rudder on the 190s sending the boat into a tight circle.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well perhaps having a set of specially shaped deflectors on both sides at the same time would solve the problem

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry all for the late reply. Been away for the holidays.IMG_1042.JPG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those trying the DIY booster thing here is my DIY pipe booster protoype with $20 in parts. Perhaps someone can improve upon it. Long sweep 3 inch 90 degree pvc electrical conduit from big box home improvement store through bolted and 3m 4200 sealed to some left over hdpe. Used trim router to cut the slots for the tie down mount and vise deformed pex and through pin to secure. I had to play with the cut angle on the pipe and placement of the mounting slot. I also quickly rounded off all sharp edges with a dremel.

With only 400lbs of underseat ballast and less than 400 lbs of people ballast I got the below result. With a custom swim deck bag and more people pushing the pipe booster further under the water I bet it would be even better. One big key is that the mounting plate has to be tight to the hull or you get spray. The pin and some thin foam to seal against the hull are the improvements I need to make at this point. The black parachute cord is a saftey (in case ripped off the hull don’t want it hitting me) and drop lanyard (it could sink when trying to install if dropped) that I attach to the docking cleat. This setup held surprisingly well and less force on this than one might think.

Don’t know how this stacks up with the other options out there and coming but for a few bucks of plastic and bolts it certainly is cost effective, compact, and most people could do this. I do wonder how booster type devices would work with in conjunction with the TV surf. Can’t wait for the water near me to warm up and do some more “testing”.

E49D523E-CBD1-4A18-AA8D-21AB55941DC0.jpeg A2DFE63C-8DE5-4052-ADF1-55C5AC6D9E3C.jpeg

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For those trying the DIY booster thing here is my DIY pipe booster protoype with $20 in parts. Perhaps someone can improve upon it. Long sweep 3 inch 90 degree pvc electrical conduit from big box home improvement store through bolted and 3m 4200 sealed to some left over hdpe. Used trim router to cut the slots for the tie down mount and vise deformed pex and through pin to secure. I had to play with the cut angle on the pipe and placement of the mounting slot. I also quickly rounded off all sharp edges with a dremel.

With only 400lbs of underseat ballast and less than 400 lbs of people ballast I got the below result. With a custom swim deck bag and more people pushing the pipe booster further under the water I bet it would be even better. One big key is that the mounting plate has to be tight to the hull or you get spray. The pin and some thin foam to seal against the hull are the improvements I need to make at this point. The black parachute cord is a saftey (in case ripped off the hull don’t want it hitting me) and drop lanyard (it could sink when trying to install if dropped) that I attach to the docking cleat. This setup held surprisingly well and less force on this than one might think.

Don’t know how this stacks up with the other options out there and coming but for a few bucks of plastic and bolts it certainly is cost effective, compact, and most people could do this. I do wonder how booster type devices would work with in conjunction with the TV surf. Can’t wait for the water near me to warm up and do some more “testing”.

View attachment 86193 View attachment 86194

Dang, thats awesome.... I wonder what would happen if you doubled the pipe up.... or more! Just imagine how much water could be redirected....... I wonder how much would be too much, or how much would result in too much drag....?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dang, thats awesome.... I wonder what would happen if you doubled the pipe up.... or more! Just imagine how much water could be redirected....... I wonder how much would be too much, or how much would result in too much drag....?
Doubling the pipe up is an interesting idea and could be tried stacked, side by side, or staggered. I want to dial in the mounting and ballast first then I may try those options. Will be interesting to see if/how others adapt this concept and the results. As I said previously there are more options then ever and this year will be interesting to see what works best. For anyone trying this I don’t know the strength of the tie down so please be careful not to rip it off and I highly recommend a safety lanyard to prevent personal injury.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think your pipe would be better if it were cut in half so it’s like a scoop rather than a tube. You should make one the same but split and see if there is a difference. It would be interesting to know. My theory is if it’s a scoop you have a better chance of influencing great water even before it touches the surface of the scoop as opposed to a tube likely only influencing the water that flows directly thru it. Hope that makes sense lol.

The tie downs are not reinforced so perhaps adding a backing plate to help distribute the load would be ideal. The previous owner of @Bill D boat had his reinforced because he used a boat lift that attached to the rear tie downs. There may be some pics around her somewhere if the backing plates. I know it will be a PITA to work within the inner swim platform so wouldn’t be looking forward to that lol.

These “scoops” or diverters I imagine could generate a decent load but since they aren’t fully exposed to open water and rather tucked behind the hull it’s hard to say just how much force they would receive. I don’t think it would be anywhere near as much as say the Wedge is in Malibu and Axis boats as those can have enough force to simulate 900-1200 lbs of ballast respectively. Not sure what that translates to actual forces being applied but they do reinforce backing plates into their hull during the fiberglass process.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think your pipe would be better if it were cut in half so it’s like a scoop rather than a tube. You should make one the same but split and see if there is a difference. It would be interesting to know. My theory is if it’s a scoop you have a better chance of influencing great water even before it touches the surface of the scoop as opposed to a tube likely only influencing the water that flows directly thru it. Hope that makes sense lol.

The tie downs are not reinforced so perhaps adding a backing plate to help distribute the load would be ideal. The previous owner of @Bill D boat had his reinforced because he used a boat lift that attached to the rear tie downs. There may be some pics around her somewhere if the backing plates. I know it will be a PITA to work within the inner swim platform so wouldn’t be looking forward to that lol.

These “scoops” or diverters I imagine could generate a decent load but since they aren’t fully exposed to open water and rather tucked behind the hull it’s hard to say just how much force they would receive. I don’t think it would be anywhere near as much as say the Wedge is in Malibu and Axis boats as those can have enough force to simulate 900-1200 lbs of ballast respectively. Not sure what that translates to actual forces being applied but they do reinforce backing plates into their hull during the fiberglass process.
There really is not much down force with this. The pex plumbing pipe I used was not compressed at all. My greater concern is twisting force. I did not notice any deformation of the slots I cut in the 1/2 hdpe but it is possible with more use that will bear itself. One would think that Yamaha tested their Wakebooster and would not want to be covering repairs if the tie down ripped off. All that said reinforcement is on my list to do. Possibly not too hard working through the cupholder holes.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 86193 View attachment 86194
Man, that is @#$%$# BRILLIANT.
I can not believe I did not come up with that, having spent freaking days thinking those things over... That bent pipe idea is unbelievably good.

My hat goes OFF TO YOU!!!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There really is not much down force with this. The pex plumbing pipe I used was not compressed at all. My greater concern is twisting force. I did not notice any deformation of the slots I cut in the 1/2 hdpe but it is possible with more use that will bear itself. One would think that Yamaha tested their Wakebooster and would not want to be covering repairs if the tie down ripped off. All that said reinforcement is on my list to do. Possibly not too hard working through the cupholder holes.
You should seriously think of patenting that!! THAT is worth a patent.
Holy cow.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last Summer I was experimenting with those...
upload_2019-1-2_14-41-5.pngupload_2019-1-2_14-41-30.png

It was a disaster as I could not figure out proper way to mount those under the swim deck.

@Mainah This pipe idea of yours is so good. Let work on it, if you don;t mind some help.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do wonder how booster type devices would work with in conjunction with the TV surf. Can’t wait for the water near me to warm up and do some more “testing”.
Your bent pipe thingy concept may work well as a wake booster with the Wake Wedge.

--

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice job it obviously cleaned up the jet wash. Could that take wake board speeds of 18-20 Mph ? It would be interesting to see port and starboard installed with some ballast for improved wakeboarding as well . Maybe even some type of flapper for switching surf sides while under way . This should be a new thread I think it will generate pages on its own super low cost for amazing results.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice job it obviously cleaned up the jet wash. Could that take wake board speeds of 18-20 Mph ? It would be interesting to see port and starboard installed with some ballast for improved wakeboarding as well . Maybe even some type of flapper for switching surf sides while under way . This should be a new thread I think it will generate pages on its own super low cost for amazing results.
All good ideas. Started a dedicated thread for it ... https://jetboaters.net/threads/diy-pipe-booster-for-improving-wake.20444/

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wasn't necessarily speaking of it having much downforce but more so shear force laterally across the tow bolts. It certainly would not see the same forces as the reversed hydrofoil of the Malibu/Axis Wedge, I was only using it as a means to explain the reinforce to account for forces ;). Honestly I think the tow bolts would likely be fine as I do crank on my rear tie down straps quite a bit. But .....better to be safe than sorry because if the tow loop does somehow get ripped or sheared off I imagine that would be a ton of water that would flood into the bilge, especially ballasted heavy, and likely too much for the stock bilge pump to keep up with. It's probably not likely to ever happen but we also didn't think towers would come loose and nearly kill owners either heh.

Take these pictures below of a broken tab of the Scarab wedge which acts very similar to how the Yamaha (and your DIY project) work by diverting water from the side of the hull across the rear towards the jet(s). Now, clearly these pieces aren't anywhere as beefy as the tow eyes and bolts but just shows there is certainly a force there to keep in mind of, I know that when I tried my DIY surf gate at 11 mph there was a considerable amount of force being applied, of course different force entirely as mine stuck out beyond the hull to get a lot of surface area exposed to water. The rear tab broke on this one and I'm not sure if the side tab did as well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For reference this is what the Scarab wedge normally looks like...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: