• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have thought about this too after I had a rather large coworker really struggle to get back on the boat from the beach area. At 155 lbs hoisting myself onto the boat has never been a problem for me so I never really thought much about it, but I felt really bad for my coworker to have to go through that while everyone was waiting onboard. I am curious how they would mount a ladder to the platform. I wouldn't think it would be strong enough without having something structural glassed into the platform that it attaches to or having it bolted through the platform which would be a very poor option to me.
Not sure how thick the Supreme swim deck is but members on the Moomba forum have added the ladder. Some through bolt them and get a new gatorstep or SeaDek top or others have used screws just shy of going through and a layer of 5200 to bond the ladder to the deck. This might not work on Supreme idk but might be worth looking into. It’s what I would do if I really feel we need it in the future. For now we just keep the rear ballast with some water and it works for us.

935C4556-3853-4221-B21F-6CE0C933AD64.jpegC06B2A5F-CE0A-4049-916D-0D7378A2E93F.jpeg

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not sure how thick the Supreme swim deck is but members on the Moomba forum have added the ladder. Some through bolt them and get a new gatorstep or SeaDek top or others have used screws just shy of going through and a layer of 5200 to bond the ladder to the deck. This might not work on Supreme idk but might be worth looking into. It’s what I would do if I really feel we need it in the future. For now we just keep the rear ballast with some water and it works for us.

View attachment 111313View attachment 111314
It would probably be just fine directly attached, but it makes me uneasy to see a 300 lb guy being held by a few small screws. I'll try to measure it if I think about it tonight. I have very little fiberglass experience know how much it can hold with an application like that. I live by "Overkill is underrated." 😁 Any idea if the ladders are just screwed in to the glass on the Yamaha's or do they get through bolted?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I wish I had that platform. Malibu bought Cobalt a few years ago, thereby owning the patent for that swim step. Wish I could upgrade my ‘16 to it, but they won’t sell it. 😕

For a ladder, I have one on mine and works great. It was an option. Pic attached.
View attachment 111304
The (motorized!) swim platform step is also available for new Chaparral wake boats (w/forward drive), along with the Malibu surf gate.
The thing is amazing, it pulls back to sit flush in the platform.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes the lack of a reboarding ladder takes some getting used to and can be a pain. What we do is fill rear ballast a bit to lower the platform. Eventually I may add a Windline sliding and telescoping ladder. And yes those flip down step on the Malibu is niiice. Probably patented but would love if they all had that. Did y’all see a few pages back the pic of the massive swim platform on that Cobalt at the boat show? That thing was YUUUUGE and badass!
Yes would be nice on all platforms. I read Cobalt patented it, but really?? Wouldn't that be like patenting a ladder or a tower? Seems so universal to me.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I started reading this thread a few weeks back and finally caught up to real time. Very thorough and informative @hacknslash! It’s been a great winter diversion and solidifying in my mind that my next boat will be a dedicated wake boat.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I started reading this thread a few weeks back and finally caught up to real time. Very thorough and informative @hacknslash! It’s been a great winter diversion and solidifying in my mind that my next boat will be a dedicated wake boat.
Anything peak your interest for your next boat?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad you have enjoyed the thread so far and it helped get you through winter lol. I’m also glad others have also chimed in to make it packed with good info. Spring will be here before we know it!!!

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anything peak your interest for your next boat?
I thought the advice on dealers was really good. I need to figure out who is good up here in Michigan.

I’ll definitely check out Moomba given high praise from @haknslash. It’s probably a few years off for me. I just got a 212x last year. I’m going to dial it in for surfing this year and try and string it out for a few years while my two boys are still younger (10 and 7 right now). I also need to get a truck to tow a wake boat. My wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee probably won’t cut it. It’ll be a multi-stage process!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought the advice on dealers was really good. I need to figure out who is good up here in Michigan.

I’ll definitely check out Moomba given high praise from @haknslash. It’s probably a few years off for me. I just got a 212x last year. I’m going to dial it in for surfing this year and try and string it out for a few years while my two boys are still younger (10 and 7 right now). I also need to get a truck to tow a wake boat. My wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee probably won’t cut it. It’ll be a multi-stage process!
Have you seen Jet boat pilots latest videos regarding ballast set ups for each model? The video definitely gave some good information especially regarding running ballast in the center haul and the negative impact it can have on the surf wave.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

You dont understand. You need to pick a wake boat side! CHOOOOOOSE!

<iframe src="Welcome Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="368" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You dont understand. You need to pick a wake boat side! CHOOOOOOSE!

<iframe src="Welcome Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="368" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>
haha, there's deff an handful of us nthat have moved over to the dark side. We need a roll call and who has what. I haven't found another forum comparable to this one for wakeboats. This is one of the best forums for sure, even if it is geared towards jet boats.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have you seen Jet boat pilots latest videos regarding ballast set ups for each model? The video definitely gave some good information especially regarding running ballast in the center haul and the negative impact it can have on the surf wave.
No, I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
haha, there's deff an handful of us nthat have moved over to the dark side. We need a roll call and who has what. I haven't found another forum comparable to this one for wakeboats. This is one of the best forums for sure, even if it is geared towards jet boats.
I couldn't agree more. I particularly like the fact that everyone (for the most part) remains extremely respectful on this site regardless of differing opinions. The amount of trolling and and lack of candor on a lot of the other forums gets ridiculous. The Ram forum I was following after buying my truck was particularly painful. Maybe we should talk to the administrators about setting up another model specific page called "The Dark Side of the Force" (credit: @MattFX4 for that name) for those of us former Yamaha owners that still have tons of respect for the brand, but have moved on to more sport dedicated options.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I couldn't agree more. I particularly like the fact that everyone (for the most part) remains extremely respectful on this site regardless of differing opinions. The amount of trolling and and lack of candor on a lot of the other forums gets ridiculous. The Ram forum I was following after buying my truck was particularly painful. Maybe we should talk to the administrators about setting up another model specific page called "The Dark Side of the Force" (credit: @MattFX4 for that name) for those of us former Yamaha owners that still have tons of respect for the brand, but have moved on to more sport dedicated options.
I like it! That phrase has been used here before though about switching to wake boats, so I can't take credit!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well it is a turbo diesel afterall :D

I think it's just cool a company retrofitted one in there. So now it's not just Nautique with the Yanmar diesel heh

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2020 SE throwing a nice clean wave!

image.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I figured now that I've had a season under my belt with the Max it was time to go back and revisit my demo rides on the Axis and Moomba. Thankfully I still have most of the footage and made a stab at doing a side to side thoughts comparison between the two boats based off the demos, dealership, waves,, interior, etc. 17 minute long video but I cover most aspects of both boats and my thoughts of them. Video should be up in a little while but here here's a teaser screenshot at the amount of clips and editing :D

head 2 head.jpg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I figured now that I've had a season under my belt with the Max it was time to go back and revisit my demo rides on the Axis and Moomba. Thankfully I still have most of the footage and made a stab at doing a side to side thoughts comparison between the two boats based off the demos, dealership, waves,, interior, etc. 17 minute long video but I cover most aspects of both boats and my thoughts of them. Video should be up in a little while but here here's a teaser screenshot at the amount of clips and editing :D

View attachment 111553
Have you ever seen whether Wake9 finished their Makai review? I’ve searched a few times and only ever found a teaser for it, never the actual review.