• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Even with Yamaha I had an issue that if the dealer had not stepped up I would have been frustrated. I wouldn’t be afraid of the 2 hour drive myself, but I think dealer support is a huge component of an enjoyable ownership experience with a semi custom wake boat (any brand). I was interested in 2 different brands for the next boat, and while each had plusses and minuses, dealer clinched the decision. Also, be aware that many brands in the wake boat niche have territories. As my dealer once said “this ain’t like buying a Chevy”. Like it or hate it, understand that there are financial incentives for warranty service built into the cost in some cases. If those don’t get transferred correctly, don’t expect to be welcomed to a different dealer for service with open arms. Even if they do get transferred to the new dealer, you probably aren’t getting to the front of the line if you spent your purchase $ elsewhere.
Well aware of the territory issues and "front of the line" service with boats, which is complete bullshit. That was made apparent to me when I bought my Yamaha. Really, that storyline is ripe for anti-trust lawsuit. Forcing prices and service because of where you're located - yeah, Chevy and Ford would LOVE to get away with that, but they can't because the automotive execs would be dragged in front of Congress.

Just wait, with all these new boat owners, all it takes is one person to get screwed by these rules, and maybe we'll see these assholes brought in to answer for why they think they're allowed to rip people off purely based on their location...

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PS- impeller - minimally every other season, depending on the number of hours you rack up. Many do it every season for piece of mind. I would not go past 100. Oil change, close to 50. If you go over a bit on a long weekend nobody is gonna ding you for it. Breakin - I’ve heard the theory of “drive it like you are gonna drive it” during break in from others in the industry. I fall closer into the “do the break in right” category, but man - 10 hours is a lifetime in a wakeboard!
Deleted because I'm in a allergy haze and was wrong.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have to break in my new MasterCraft and they are very specific in the break in procedure. After the break in period it has to be brought back to the dealership to have the first service or the engine warranty is void. The first service is about 4 hours and my dealer is doing mine for nothing.
You're kidding me? What did you like about the Mastercraft that put you into one? Anytime I've looked at a MC they look so far behind on technology, luxury, styling, and wave creation yet their prices are outrageous still.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to break in my new MasterCraft and they are very specific in the break in procedure. After the break in period it has to be brought back to the dealership to have the first service or the engine warranty is void. The first service is about 4 hours and my dealer is doing mine for nothing.
You do understand the warranty can’t be void if you don’t bring your boat in to your dealer for the first service?

That being said, if they are doing it for “nothing” then no worries.

I suspect a lot of people fall for ”your warranty will be void” nonsense and cough up big bucks for service..

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You do understand the warranty can’t be void if you don’t bring your boat in to your dealer for the first service?

That being said, if they are doing it for “nothing” then no worries.

I suspect a lot of people fall for ”your warranty will be void” nonsense and cough up big bucks for service..
I do know that this is valid for cars, but wasn't too sure about boats.

I had to double check the owner's manual because I could have sworn that I read it there, but I was wrong.

If they weren't giving me the first service for free I would definitely be doing it myself.

My dealer said that the only thing that will void the engine warranty is if I add a surf pipe.

He said that people add surf pipes to MasterCrafts all of the time just to quiet the engine, but he said that if I add one just remove it if I bring the boat in for any service.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He said that people add surf pipes to MasterCrafts all of the time just to quiet the engine, but he said that if I add one just remove it if I bring the boat in for any service.
What???? 🤣

Don’t those bolt on? Do you just leave holes in your transom if you unbolt it? What if they water test it??? Inquiring minds want to know!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What???? 🤣

Don’t those bolt on? Do you just leave holes in your transom if you unbolt it? What if they water test it??? Inquiring minds want to know!
They do bolt on and Ilmor will void the engine warranty if you use a surf pipe. MC doesn't offer a factory surf pipe. If you would remove the surf pipe you can easily put the factory exhaust outlets back on if need be.

Reactions: 007

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They do bolt on and Ilmor will void the engine warranty if you use a surf pipe. MC doesn't offer a factory surf pipe. If you would remove the surf pipe you can easily put the factory exhaust outlets back on if need be.
Seems like a lot of trouble!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What???? 🤣

Reason is - surf pipe deletes the flapper. Flapper controls water from entering the manifold. A lot of reported issues with boats filled with ballast and sitting while water is creeping into the engine. Then user goes to start and boom, hydrolock.

Again, Mastercraft is the only manufacture without a factory surfpipe. They're also the only one without a thruster option. And factory audio is Klipsch? WTFMC. Company is LAGGING... they remind of Ford about ten years ago when they were revamping the Taurus even when it was obvious that SUVs and crossovers were the future.

I actually talked to a MC salesman today and asked him "What does MC offer with their boats that the others don't?" and he (no fool'n) said "Well, their towers fold towards the back (wtf cares) and the surf wave can be set mellow for new surfers. (makes a shittier wave out of box?)" I nearly hung up on him.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seems like a lot of trouble!
Only if you install one.

@anmut Seems like you will never be satisfied, so I suggest just keep your Yamaha and quit torturing yourself. Maybe just go plop down 300K+ on a Nautique G25 Paragon, it has everything you want.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Only if you install one.

@anmut Seems like you will never be satisfied, so I suggest just keep your Yamaha and quit torturing yourself. Maybe just go plop down 300K+ on a Nautique G25 Paragon, it has everything you want.
I’m getting stressed about these boats and dealers just reading this.
I was thinking $200k is a down payment on a beach house, those waves don’t need warranties.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reason is - surf pipe deletes the flapper. Flapper controls water from entering the manifold. A lot of reported issues with boats filled with ballast and sitting while water is creeping into the engine. Then user goes to start and boom, hydrolock.

Again, Mastercraft is the only manufacture without a factory surfpipe. They're also the only one without a thruster option. And factory audio is Klipsch? WTFMC. Company is LAGGING... they remind of Ford about ten years ago when they were revamping the Taurus even when it was obvious that SUVs and crossovers were the future.

I actually talked to a MC salesman today and asked him "What does MC offer with their boats that the others don't?" and he (no fool'n) said "Well, their towers fold towards the back (wtf cares) and the surf wave can be set mellow for new surfers. (makes a shittier wave out of box?)" I nearly hung up on him.
The only brand of boats I’m aware of that had a hydro lock potential issue were Centurions and that’s mainly because their engines sit lower than other boats so the waterline is higher than other brands. There could be others but I don’t see it being widespread. I know Centurion added a feature recently that dumps ballast if the boat is sitting still to prevent this issue for them. I don’t have that issue when all of my rear ballast is full and we are sitting at the cove. I always fill rear ballast to sink the ass when in the cove as it makes it easier to board the boat (i don’t have a ladder). I don’t know if the factory Skiers Choice surf pipe still retains a flapper or not but even if you went aftermarket you can add one for $40. That being said here is some information regarding flappers on vdrive boats versus a direct drive from FAE. The flapper on these boats is not a “seal’ or anything that keeps water out. Water will still fill that area of the exhaust at rest in the water. You can see this and move the flapper easily by hand while in the water and nothing happens as it’s not really a seal if that is how you’re envisioning them. It mainly prevents water rushing back in when shutting off the throttle quickly.

3DC1E6C3-D052-4BCF-8808-82851BE7E109.png

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can see in this video what I’m talking about. Look how easily my flapper moves with just water hose and at idle. It’s more like a 18-wheeler exhaust “flapper‘ than something that would prevent water from getting in. Under water I can move that thing or just watch it move on it’s own if the boat is rocking from waves.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Only if you install one.

I called Pavati, they don’t have the color I want. 😂😂

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My Fresh Air Exhaust (i.e. surf pipe) that I installed on my MB has a built in flapper.

Just a thought, but if the potential issues are scaring you off ( which I understand), perhaps consider a boat with a bit less tech at a lower price point. Or a similarly high end boat that is maybe 2 years old. In a 2 year old boat that has been well taken care of, the owner has likely already had any of the stupid little fiddly issues taken care of and many wakeboat owners are so incredibly meticulous that you'll probably be hard pressed to even notice that the boat is used. You can get a lot of boat and incredible watersports performance without getting anywhere near $200K or even $100K. On the other hand, if you do want to buy in the $180K+ realm, based on the boats I've seen, I wold HIGHLY suggest looking into a Nautique. Nautique quality is quite good and has been for years. Even so, boats are in no way comparable to cars/trucks, even if we think they "should" be.

For what it is worth, the 2016 MB F22 I bought new in 2016 has been back to the dealer precisely once, and that was for a "free" first service. We have a little over 300 hours on the boat now. Something could certainly go wrong, and eventually will, but I haven't had much need for a dealer since I bought the thing. I do my own basic maintenance, which is easy, and have been more than pleased with the boat overall. Same goes for a slew of wakeboats my friends own, including Axis, Malibu and Nautique.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My Fresh Air Exhaust (i.e. surf pipe) that I installed on my MB has a built in flapper.

Just a thought, but if the potential issues are scaring you off ( which I understand), perhaps consider a boat with a bit less tech at a lower price point. Or a similarly high end boat that is maybe 2 years old. In a 2 year old boat that has been well taken care of, the owner has likely already had any of the stupid little fiddly issues taken care of and many wakeboat owners are so incredibly meticulous that you'll probably be hard pressed to even notice that the boat is used. You can get a lot of boat and incredible watersports performance without getting anywhere near $200K or even $100K. On the other hand, if you do want to buy in the $180K+ realm, based on the boats I've seen, I wold HIGHLY suggest looking into a Nautique. Nautique quality is quite good and has been for years. Even so, boats are in no way comparable to cars/trucks, even if we think they "should" be.
Really my issue (first world problems here, I'm aware...) is that I basically want a sub msrp of 200k boat that is as comfortable of a layout as a Yamaha (transom seats, spacious bow with a walk through), sounds as good or better as my current JL system, surfs/boards awesome, and has some convivence features like thrusters, heat, power tower.

The current formula is "available stock" - "needs" = ~ 3 boats to choose from within 500 miles. New or used, it doesn't seem to matter, they're all bought up.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
These boats are more complicated for sure, but you learn what they can do just like any other boat, by using them. There is a lot that can be found for way less than $200 in my area, but you have to move fast in this market. And if you wake surf, it’s just apples to oranges for what you can do on a jetboat. We surf like 90% of the time and cove out the other 10%. I’m not joking, many mornings we idle out of the slip while ballasting and letting the motor get up to temp, then drop a rider in the water once well clear of the no wake zone or any boat traffic. Buying a dedicated wake boat was a no brainer for us. And yes, the next one will have a surf pipe. I second everything @haknslash said on that issue.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The current formula is "available stock" - "needs" = ~ 3 boats to choose from within 500 miles. New or used, it doesn't seem to matter, they're all bought up.
The thrusters do limit the field and drive the price up. And depending on your audio system, the wetsounds systems may be louder, but a little more “tin-y” depending on your musical taste. The walkthrough bow and transom seating is nice, but don’t discount the “playpen”. Many wake boats evolved from that style, and you discount a lot of the available used stock. I don’t allow shoes on the boat, so not having a bow walkthrough on the last boat wasn’t really an issue. Also, my wife is lamenting the lack of “sunpad” that is sacrificed with many walk through stern seating configurations.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We use the sun pad all the time and while I’d like to have a walk through I also like having that big sunpad. Yes they make filler cushions but who wants to deal with stowing that every time you want to use the sunpad? However it appears that inevitable walk through is what they’re all moving towards these days so it’s just something I’ll have to deal with. I think there is one boat mfg that the walk through is reversible so the filler cushion is on the other side above the engine but I could be wrong. At least that way you wouldn’t have to stow the filler cushion but the negative side is you would lose what could otherwise be a storage bin above the engine. If I was looking in the $200k range no doubt I would be looking for a Nautique G23.