• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Dropping? Check here!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Speedling , just did your throttle drop fix and checking it in the drive-way it seems to have fixed the issue. I'll be able to tell more on the water but before even in the driveway the port side throttle would pull back app 1/4 inch before the adjustment. Now where I move it, stays :winkingthumbsup". I took a ton of photos while disassembling so I could ensure I put it back together correctly, do you want me to post them here?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling , just did your throttle drop fix and checking it in the drive-way it seems to have fixed the issue. I'll be able to tell more on the water but before even in the driveway the port side throttle would pull back app 1/4 inch before the adjustment. Now where I move it, stays :winkingthumbsup". I took a ton of photos while disassembling so I could ensure I put it back together correctly, do you want me to post them here?
Absolutely! More information about this is always welcome and may help someone which is what it's all about!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a few notes from following Speedling's write up. Our boat is a '13, and everything was spot on so no changes in the throttle assembly up until '13 anyway. Speedling's write up was very easy to follow and really I can't add anything major to it. I did note that both throttle assemblies were marked on our boat with "F" and an arrow indicating forward which helps in orientation of the assemblies if you take them out of the boat. I only performed the fix on my port throttle as it was the only one slipping. To be honest I was a little apprehensive about trying this so I took several photos as I disassembled and organized the parts I took off in the order I removed them to make re-assembly simpler. One important thing to note, there are two cables which attach to each side (port and starboard motors)in the throttle assembly. These cables were identical so my advice is to mark them so you know which cable you removed from which joint. I would also do one side (port or starboard) at a time. Thanks @Speedling for figuring this out, as the only way I could get my port throttle to hold was to keep my hand on it. I'll post a few photos from the process, they go right with Speedling's write up.

Throttles marked for orientation
image.jpg

Screws to remove to separate port from starboard throttles (total of 3). The top 2 were on opposing corners of the top of the assembly
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Like Speedling I wrapped the tab above in black electrical tape several times and used a straight screwdriver to push it back into the notch. This definitely eliminated the throttle drop, as before once I set the port throttle it would literally "pull" itself back app 1/4 to 1/2 inch causing rpm's to drop 4-500 rpm's. After completing this the throttle stays where I set it. Really not a hard fix, just take your time and follow Speedling's write up:winkingthumbsup".

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for a great detailed post. . . . . I actually have the throttle drop issue on my 2014 AR240HO on the PORT Throttle lever. It has been there since day one and I have it on my list of warranty items for Jim over at Patsy's Bay. I shore hauled this past weekend in preparation to drop her off for all the necessary warranty work, and sadly Winterization. I am hoping to get one or two more trips in down on the Hudson before I call it quits for the season.

I will keep you posted on the status of the repair. I hope it works so I don't have to use the detailed pics above. . . . . :p

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@0627Devildog I would think if you ask for this to be fixed under warranty they are just going to tighten the tension screws, I doubt the local shops even know or care about this fix,

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@0627Devildog I would think if you ask for this to be fixed under warranty they are just going to tighten the tension screws, I doubt the local shops even know or care about this fix,
I am sending him an email with all the required warranty items that need to be addressed laid out. Don't think for a second that I am not going to be linking him to this thread. He is on here.

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey Guys, my port side throttle drops off a lot and also i can't get full rev range on it either. Starboard engine and throttle revs right round to 10,000rpm but Port stops at about 8500rpm.
Im thinking i need to adjust the throttle cable!!! Any ideas any body PLEASE..

Stu.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Stuart Bicknell glad to have you on board,
I would look at it as two separate issues, your throttle linkage may not be set correctly and that's why you can't get 10k rpm, this could be at the throttle or on top of the engine where it connects (take off your air filter box to easily see),
the instructions above will fix your throttle slipping,

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Scott, I have looked at the throttle cable! however I don't know where it should and shouldn't be.. tricky to tell. There are 2 adjusting locking nuts, so i guess i use them.

Not sure though..

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Put your throttles at full throttle and look inside the air box to see if the cable has maxed out. If you have more to go the adjustment can be made at the air box. You low rpm's could be a result of bad spark plugs. Are they new?

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First thing I done was replace the plugs :)

I also done what you said, pushed my throttle fully forward, However.... I wasn't to sure how I worked out if there was more throttle or not..

Was being a bit of a chicken, wasn't to sure what i was doing...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Open both airbox lids, and compare. If you have one good one, then make the other one match it!
The butterfly should be perpendicular to the intake tube when the throttle is all the way down. Then, I would also make sure they match up at half throttle, so when you are cruising around you don't have one higher than the other.

Once they work correctly, you can come back to this thread because you will probably see the throttle dropping.

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. I will do that. The boat is going to be winterised real soon :sour::vomit::mad::arghh: So I guess I will have to wait 6 months!!!!!!!!

Need to move to a warmer climate...

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I adjusted the throttle cable before I took her out. Much better, the throttles are almost even up to about 8500rpm. Then the starboard throttle goes all the way and up to 10,000 but the port side throttle does nothing for the last inch of travel!!!

Any Ideas? I will adjust it some more next time, but there is not much adjustment left.

When I replaced the Spark plugs the other week, I found that 1 or 2 of the spark plug caps were rusty on the Port side engine!!! Do you think that this could be the problem??

Or am I clutching at straws..

Thanks again I LOVE THIS BOAT

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ok, well, you should probably start a new thread in the General section, but my first question is did you do this testing in the water, or on land?
When you take it out of the water and put it on the trailer, will it rev up to 10k quick? This way you still have a little water in there and it's not overheating.
The reason I ask is perhaps something is wrong with the impeller and having it in the water creates more load if it's bent to too high a pitch or something.
If it goes to 10k rpms out of the water, then we have started eliminating things.

Again, I would start a new thread as you will get more/better responses!

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All testing was in the water as i keep it in a slip. When i take it out to winter it, I can see if it revs up. Do I use the FREE throttle for that? #Speedling

Also, what do you mean by " perhaps something is wrong with the impeller and having it in the water creates more load if it's bent to too high a pitch or something."

Im not familiar with the Impeller workings.

Thanks

Stu.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Basically if it is at too high a pitch, it won't be able to push that much water. With a jet this means that loads the engine more and you can't get it to full rpms. Basically check out the pump when it's out of the water

Stuart Bicknell

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @Speedling

Still not sure I know what your talking about ;) Is this something I can Adjust? What If I try the Free Throttle in the water!

So if i take it out next week, How do i check? I know I have to see if it reaches full revs out of the water. Then it could be the Impeller pitch. But how do I check?

Thanks again.

Stu :)

<edited by admin to fix tag from # to @>

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Let me start a conversation with you tonight when i get home. I can explain things in a more relevant way and i will get an inbox alert when you respond.
And we won't be in a somewhat unrelevant thread