• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Throttle Dropping? Check here!

Spectre170

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I applied this fix to my 2012 242 LS yesterday morning and it worked like a charm!!! Used the boat all day yesterday on the lake and they stay where i put them instead of dropping back 500 or so RPMs like they used to. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get it completed but oh it was so worth the time spent! It was also cool to get in there and learn how the throttles work. I have a much better sense of what the tension screw does.

Have plenty of rags or towels on hand when you do this as there is a lot of grease in the throttle bodies.

Thanks for the great write-ups on it @Speedling & @Craig. They made it nice and easy!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, my 2015 ar240 started having the port throttle start dropping at about 10 hours. I've just been pulling the starboard back to match then use the cruise.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Love to hear this is still helping!

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a little spooked to attempt this as well, but the drop is annoying. ..so... with 2 excellent write ups and great photos ... it is time to repair this unwanted throttle habit. Thanks speeding and Craig.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love to hear this is still helping!
Hey @Speedling , just as an FYI, even though the pictures show up here, I did an "inspect element" and according to that report they are still hosted "over there." If the guy "over there" ever changes a directory name it's going to break your post here. If you want to make sure this stays around for posterity I'd re-host those photos and re-do the post here. Just a suggestion. ;)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bah, I keep forgetting that. I have it all on my pc but work is still so crazy that I haven't gotten to it.
Thanks for the note! Maybe tonight after work (fireworks sell on memorial day) I will get to it

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guess I'm going to have to try this one out, starboard drop is getting bad and now it's messing with the perfect pass system. So on the list for next time I pull the boat into the shop.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Guess I'm going to have to try this one out, starboard drop is getting bad and now it's messing with the perfect pass system. So on the list for next time I pull the boat into the shop.
I would think that the PP would bypass the need for the fix as it goes straight to the cable, correct?
Unless it was hooked up to the actual throttles, but I don't believe it to work that way. The "slop" or "drop" is simply because two prongs are spread out around a tab. It's as simple as that, but as complicated as the steps above to take apart and get to it.
It's certainly not HARD to do if you are decent with hand tools, but it is certainly time consuming.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
ya but I'm not getting a little drop... like 3000 rpm drop... which then kicks out PP, or me having to manually throttle back up to keep PP in control range

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Master-Spud I think you have something loose on your throttle bodies. Perhaps something came loose after installing the PP? The throttles could possibly be having too much spring tension as well? Or you need a little bit more tension on the stops, but I really don't know what in the throttles would cause a 3000 rpm drop. It's just not physically possible in there. I would start with the throttle bodies and work your way back checking the cables and such.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yes, the nature of the throttle drop fix as I have it outlined here, would be 500 rpm once. If you keep dropping MORE than once, then the vibration and tension of the springs is overcoming the tension on the throttles. If you don't use the PP does it still drop, or only with the PP?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure if this is different on the 15's or not but there is and external throttle friction adjustment on the back of the throttle housing under a small cover.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure if this is different on the 15's or not but there is and external throttle friction adjustment on the back of the throttle housing under a small cover.
@subysti you are my hero... my dealer said they fixed it, but they didn't. I'll be in touch with you after my Bimini trip to fix this problem... independent of the dealer. I know that some of our members have a soft spot for their dealers, but if a dealer is supposed to fix something under warranty, they should. It's simple. But I find that this forum is full of folks who do it themselves because the dealers are incompetent or because their boat is out of warranty. Yup, I said it. Incompetent. I apologize to the competent dealers, because it is very wrong to label. So, to the competent dealers who follow this forum, please speak up so that we know who we can trust to fix our boats.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is what I found in the shop manual. Seem easy. Hope this works for you.

Attachments

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i have had the same throttle drop issue and am happy to say after applying this method, i no longer have the issue
one thing i will add to this, is that for me it was not necessary to take both cables off. only the top one. i did not see the need to remove the bottom linkage

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling Thank you so much for figuring this one out. I've been wanting to do this for a while but just never seemed to have the chance. Went out on the boat today after doing your fix and presto, no more throttle drop.

If you have this issue you should really take a couple hours and do this, such an improvement, it's not that hard to do, and cost absolutely nothing.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm planning to do this mod this weekend. I have a couple of questions. Has anyone with a single engine completed this mod yet and if so, were there any differences of consequence in the throttle assembly? Also, when reassembling, is there any need to re-lubricate the mechanism and if there is, what lubricant would be recommended? I see that it is pumped full of grease so additional lubricant isn't needed, but I wanted to be sure so I'd have everything I need when I start.

Hopefully this will fix what has been my #1 frustration with my new ride.