• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector X on Wake Boat - Is the Toe’d In Nozzle Affect TVX Performance?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So today we finally had some nice weather to tackle this project. ThrustV X installed and all good. I noticed they are toe’d inwards due the wake boat setup for the nozzles. I am wondering, since the fins are not parallel to the water flow behind:
1. Will this affect performance in any way?
2. Will this setup put more undue stress on the fins and eventually causing failure? @JetBoatPilot
3. Should I adjust the angle of the nozzles? If I did, how much would the size and shape of the wake be affected? @J-RAD

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Here are some pictures:

54079156-AA5C-41F2-9313-0358668C9ED7.jpeg08013B62-5836-4B60-BB9C-B9CC9AA3C650.jpegB2CF4C3D-90A3-4587-B221-2D68CA200C69.jpegA3A8D100-56D6-438F-A554-E9BAFA7F5516.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, those should be adjusted. They should be parallel. As should your rudder. It won't cause damage, but it will cause steering issues, performance issues and will drink your gas more.

Not sure if the adjustment mechanism is the same on yours as on mine, but on mine you can run out the steering cable end and re-tighten the locking nut against it to adjust the angle.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Yamaha SurfPointe is a bit of a gimmick. The effect is minimal and actually effects regular driving perfomance. Don't hesitate adjusting them to be straight.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was thinking that the directions probably indicate that the nozzles should be straightened. I know that the cobra fin directions had me straighten the nozzles. (I realize that they are different)

When I actually went to straighten mine, I realized that my surfpoint was all screwed up anyway. I had to re-center the steering wheel and adjust it from scratch.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was thinking that the directions probably indicate that the nozzles should be straightened. I know that the cobra fin directions had me straighten the nozzles. (I realize that they are different)

When I actually went to straighten mine, I realized that my surfpoint was all screwed up anyway. I had to re-center the steering wheel and adjust it from scratch.
I didn’t look at the written instructions, I used JetboatPilot YouTube video install and there was no mention of straightening the nozzles? Is there a step by procedure on how to do that? I searched but didn’t see one?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The Yamaha SurfPointe is a bit of a gimmick. The effect is minimal and actually effects regular driving perfomance. Don't hesitate adjusting them to be straight.
SP is a bit of a gimmick but pointing the jet thrust inward is what the TVW does. But he has the TVX so....

Randyj84

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I didn’t look at the written instructions, I used JetboatPilot YouTube video install and there was no mention of straightening the nozzles? Is there a step by procedure on how to do that? I searched but didn’t see one?
go on YouTube and look up thrust vector wake install, at the beginning of the video it shows how to straighten the nozzles.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you so much @Randyj84 for this tip, couldn’t find anywhere clear instruction, I guess because this was so simple. I somewhat know the rods on the right of the nozzles where the adjustments should be made but everywhere people were referring to them as cables which was a bit confusing. Yes they are connected to cables but they are not cables.

anyway, was able to align and straighten everything out as seen in pic below. The second pic shows them pointing outwards a bit but that has to do with camera lens and picture angle. They are true straight and aligned with steeringwheel. Thanks to all of you for the help.

D285DFBA-8B78-4DBA-811F-CAB63951F1C1.jpegCFF8BC08-0F26-4059-AE3A-BD39D2637A55.jpeg

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A couple suggestions I would make to anyone who is going to install these as well as @JetBoatPilot:

1. Make sure to deburr and thoroughly clean the screw openings on the powder coated painted parts, it was hard to get the screws started.
2. I would suggest to @JetBoatPilot to include two epoxy kits as one was not sufficient for twin engines at all especially when Will’s instructions says to apply it generously and emphasizing this being a critical step. I’m worried I didn’t apply enough because I didn’t have enough to begin with.
3. Would also suggest to @JetBoatPilot NOT to pre-package the epoxy kit when assembling your kits. These sit on the shelf for a long time and looks like aging would affect the quality of epoxy. Mine was very hard to get the epoxy flowing out of the package because they were getting dryer and aged. When you get a customer order, throw a couple of fresh ones in there for twin engines and off they go. Thanks much for considering your customer’s input.

hope this helps others.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A couple suggestions I would make to anyone who is going to install these as well as @JetBoatPilot:

1. Make sure to deburr and thoroughly clean the screw openings on the powder coated painted parts, it was hard to get the screws started.
2. I would suggest to @JetBoatPilot to include two epoxy kits as one was not sufficient for twin engines at all especially when Will’s instructions says to apply it generously and emphasizing this being a critical step. I’m worried I didn’t apply enough because I didn’t have enough to begin with.
3. Would also suggest to @JetBoatPilot NOT to pre-package the epoxy kit when assembling your kits. These sit on the shelf for a long time and looks like aging would affect the quality of epoxy. Mine was very hard to get the epoxy flowing out of the package because they were getting dryer and aged. When you get a customer order, throw a couple of fresh ones in there for twin engines and off they go. Thanks much for considering your customer’s input.

hope this helps others.
The Xs require epoxy during install too? I thought that was just the Wake edition. I didn’t realize that.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just one epoxied part on the X model. Two per nozzle on the Wake version.