• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors - Changed my mind

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ttzz regarding your post here.
"like others I'm intrigued by the idea of Magnum AK with the LTs - both high speed tracking and fine tuned low speed reverse control. Would be a little worried about the force added to high speed turning without the fangs to counter act." Will be really interested if you give that a try and have any feedback on that aspect.
My magnum A K steering has been in use on the ak model Yamaha boats for a couple of years now , Some stand alone, some with the early fangs and some with the mega fang system.
People are doing what you suggest with negative issues on the steering being hard to turn , if you look at the size of the bolts used by Yamaha 10 mm on the rudder and tie rod as opposed to a 6mm bolt used on a sea doo or Chaparral and other new jet boats that incorporated the 4 tec systems .
The difference in strength and durability is huge.
Using the Magnum A K system will not cause any problems and it will not rip off your pumps lol.
I would suggest you inquire with people who are using the system or those who are co mingling them.
Having said that I still think having a real conventional reverse steering that actually steers, with extra power and all the added benefits of the Mega Fangs at half the price of other reverse systems is still the best route to take for the boater who wants excellent reverse steer ability and the other benefits provide by the mega fangs.
A person that is not looking for any novelty reverse steering like side thrust.
Most people expect the reverse to steer the boat responding to the helm in a predictable effective way. So I try to accommodate either boater by making my reverse system or inviting them to mix in other reverse systems with my steering.
I also make the Mega Fangs for the Ultimate systems plus I make available an alternate side force stabilizer for the late model nozzles if someone wishes to use the other reverse system with my steering system.
I can also accommodate people with the early style nozzles if they contact me.
I deal with logic, 99 percent of the time people need to have forward steering that eliminates the voids common in a jet boat operation both with the standard jet drives and the rudder type.
I do that quite nicely and have been doing so for many years.
For the 1 percent of the time I also address the reverse deficits.
And I do that affordably, I can also add the mega fang system to the thrust vector steering with the xv fins making that system steer in reverse and also help enhance the forward steering again at a very affordable price.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah not worried about force in a damaging sense more curious how much more resistance on the steering with out the fangs in a "feeling" sense. If its something that is very noticeable or not. I see benefits for both and really wish I had two boats side by side I could jump in and try all combinations. :) If it was just me it would be a no brainer, but really looking for that combination that will give my wife the most confidence in maneuvering so its still fun for her. The more fun it is for her the more often we'll be on the water. :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No issues there I have had a few members complaining that their admirals won't even let them drive unless it's to go fuel up

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ttzz - I have the Cobra AK's installed with the original small fangs as well as Lateral Thrusters - it all fits, and the steering with the small fangs is very easy. My oldest daughter pulls me slalom skiing at over 30 mph and finds the steering easy. At top speeds I also find the boat steers easily with the AK/small fang set up
Note that this was all runs before we added the LT's - I do not expect the LT's to have any negative effect on the forward operation.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We are all waiting. We are hoping this is the winner. High speed tracking, slow speed rear end moving, and maybe a 5 mph speed boost! Go Foobar!AE392219-7430-49E4-9BC8-A174C51E19DD.jpeg

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My storage cover only comes down to the rub rail.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Would love to have the new style for extra protection while in storage

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When my new morning cover comes I will sell this one. T top will not come off once it goes on. I got the radar and am putting the VHF up top also. I am hoping someone makes a hard top that bolts on for it soon.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So did you buy the deluxe without the T-top ? Or the sport and they simply have not installed the T-top?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I really thought of moving the radio but I’m just gonna put electronics box in the T top and put the VHF up there. The dashboard is small.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Liveto99 - Bought my Sport Cover a couple of months ago. Works very nicely but does not cover over Bimini, just like rest of Bimini boats.

IMG_7222.jpg
IMG_7221.jpg