• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors or Cobra Fins?

Which is better - A = Thrust Vectors B = Cobra Fins C = none

• A

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • B

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • C

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took delivery last week of a 2015 242 LS

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Cobra ultimates. I love them. Someone mentioned they don't help in windy conditions. That is false. The boat Handles much more easily in the wind. The boat tracks much much straighter. Both fins do the same job. I chose cobra because they are aluminum and are more adjustable.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot says yes.

I don't see how the single rudder could move as much water as four fins.
Total agreement, coming from an owner of such.
Will's THRUST VECTOR XV's make a BIG improvement (ie, @JetBoatPilot).

Will has made something almost perfect (a 24-foot 2015 Yamaha) then become PUFF-FECT !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have had the TVXL's and I now have the Ultimate Cobras, I don't have any experience yet with the Cobras but I expect that either will do a fine job. No matter whatfin you get, put on a set of cobra EZ locks. They will save a costly repair when the plugs blow and whilesome haven't had a blowout, it is only a matter of time if you continue to run a yamaha jetboat. EZ fix. Jeff discounts them when bought together. No arguments about the customer service with either of these guys. I can go finless and have for a year. But fins help in many situations, even in the wind for tracking and now drift, but they won't help you push the boat I to the wind any more than without.
image.jpg

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No need for either. Learn how to handle your boat. My first Yamaha was an LS. That thing turned on a dime and fins were simply a waste of resources. My second Yamaha came with a set installed. I figured what the hell, let's try 'em out for a day. Off they came Day 2. No difference. You think 4 tiny pieces of steel or plastic is going to help steer a massive (in comparison) projectile moving through the water? Barely. It flies in the face of the concept of "No thrust? No control. Thrust? Control." I suppose when you are putzing in at a very slow coast, with no power, they might push the boat for a brief second towards one direction, but that ends as soon as you stop and once again you are back at square one, where if you want to turn, you better use the thrust. That's my opinion based on over ten years experience as a master handler of these boats.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey stop hogging the popcorn...rules are simple,munch, munch, pass..

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is one of these a site sponsor or something?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No but they are both members of this forum and both provide a lot of good useful information about jet boats and offer the occassional sale.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
No but they are both members of this forum and both provide a lot of good useful information about jet boats and offer the occassional sale.
Smooth man, smooooth

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They both are great companies with great products. Cobra was the first followed by Thrust Vectors and they both contribute knowledge and time to helping the forum members.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Perfect..so who wants to earn my business on a new set for a 15 242 limited s? Starting bids at say $300

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone confirm if the Cobra's are compatible with the 15 242's? I have not seen that but do know that the Thrust Vector's modified their design to allow it to be used with the 15 boat's with the articulating keels.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
:rolleyes:It always comes down to money,lol

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am waiting for my test pilot to report back on my new design, I made it just for that particular boat. I believe it is going to be a very effective and balanced setup. I plan on revealing it along with my new upgrade mod for the Magnum and Ultimates just as soon as I feel certain every little detail is worked out.
I randomly chose a person who did not know me to try the prototype parts out on his brand new boat, I just made him the offer and let him decide.
He took his new boat out and he informed me that he was not particularly impressed with it's handling so he contacted me and said he was game for the trial of the system on his boat. That's a leap of faith on his part and I appreciate it.
It's all up to him when he gets it installed and tested. on a side note,
I finally had a chance yesterday to get out and test the new upgrade for the ultimate and magnum steering , I did a quick report on cobra jet steering facebook page for it's effectiveness.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where in FL are you? I am in Orlando. Maybe i could help beta.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Right in St Petersburg area .
The system is being designed model specific.
I actually have two basically identical 24 foot boats on lifts, next door neighbors
no less, side by side.
I go past them all the time and I can never find anyone home. What a perfect setup, could I have fun with this scenario. If only someone were there .