• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vectors or Cobra Fins?

Which is better - A = Thrust Vectors B = Cobra Fins C = none

• A

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

CharlestonJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed these earlier today. Have a set of Cobra Ultimate fins on the SX230. Tomayto, tomahto?

IMG_20150501_123617655_HDR.jpg

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ill be one of the many members ready for your return and your results.

Thank you!

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Cobra Ultimates and the Cobra locks, and am very happy with both. I have the Ultimates set to come out of the water at speed. We often have debris in the river and I felt better going with aluminum over plastic.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I finally used them at clearwater. They do help a lot. I think its worth the invest for a $60k boat to add them for $500. It helped the low speed steering and the idle speed does not seem to drift as much.

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess I am resurrecting an old thread here. I have an '07 SX210 and it came with the cobra jet steering (see photo, hopefully I am correct). We just purchased the boat over the winter and have been out only a handful of times this spring. My wife refuses to drive the boat, she thinks it is too hard to control at no wake speeds. I am getting used to the steering at no wake speeds, but still find myself over-correcting. So I have some questions. Are there differences in the newer designs as compared to what I currently have that would make a marketable difference in no wake mode? I have also seen posts about adding a keel guard to help with tracking, any validity to these claims? I am not at a point where I want to start swapping out "steering enhancements" to appease the wife prior to her really taking some time to learn the handling of the boat. I will say I'm hoping the wife can get over the steering issue as I like the fact there is no trim to adjust on the jetboat. Adjusting trim on our previous boat for my wife always proved to be a challenge, she was either driving the bow in to the water or cavitating the prop.

There was a post earlier in this thread about either the cobra jet or thrust vector helping in the wind. I would doubt either would help at planing speed as there is not much keel in the water. We experienced this last weekend out on the river with a 20 mph cross wind. Once we got up on plane it was difficult to keep the boat on track.IMG_0139.JPG

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Art Traver I can tell you that we have many customers who have told us that the steering at slow speeds, up to no wake stage 2 on 1.8 liter equipped boats and in your case no wake mode speed, is dramatically improved. With that said I am sure that this opinion is subjective and each person will react differently to the added control. As always we offer a money back guarantee with our product and if you want to send in your old Cobra fins we will give you a $50 credit towards your purchase.

I hope this helps some.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Boy those are some older units, glad to see they are still working even if they are pretty dirty. I have been making steering units for Yamaha boats for a long time.
As for your steering, those were very popular and there are thousands of them still in use, as you may know I make newer steering and ALL my steering is made to provide slow and high speed assistance.
I have Ultimates that can be adjusted to the exact amount of influence you desire, at all speeds.
These are tempered aluminum and they are spring loaded so they can be set to retract at speed for that option also, however from your post I believe you want full time steering, basically there is NO other system available to my knowledge that offers the options or the level of influence you can obtain from my patented systems and you can also add FANGS to your new system for power steering and improved reverse control over and above the Improvement from the additional steering system.
I currently offer a 100 dollar trade in allowance for the stainless sets , even if they are damaged.
My challenge to you is to heat the screws with a small torch so that you can remove the screws easily, then remove those fins from the nozzles and try the boat just one day with the nozzles stock.
I Bet you see a dramatic difference in the boats handling without the fins. Then you can trade those in on any steering system you desire or reinstall them.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We experienced this last weekend out on the river with a 20 mph cross wind. Once we got up on plane it was difficult to keep the boat on track.
That is where the Ultimates and Fangs shine - set up to be down at speed. Also huge help for water sports - to keep the stern planted.

--

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boy those are some older units, glad to see they are still working even if they are pretty dirty. I have been making steering units for Yamaha boats for a long time.
As for your steering, those were very popular and there are thousands of them still in use, as you may know I make newer steering and ALL my steering is made to provide slow and high speed assistance.
I have Ultimates that can be adjusted to the exact amount of influence you desire, at all speeds.
These are tempered aluminum and they are spring loaded so they can be set to retract at speed for that option also, however from your post I believe you want full time steering, basically there is NO other system available to my knowledge that offers the options or the level of influence you can obtain from my patented systems and you can also add FANGS to your new system for power steering and improved reverse control over and above the Improvement from the additional steering system.
I currently offer a 100 dollar trade in allowance for the stainless sets , even if they are damaged.
My challenge to you is to heat the screws with a small torch so that you can remove the screws easily, then remove those fins from the nozzles and try the boat just one day with the nozzles stock.
I Bet you see a dramatic difference in the boats handling without the fins. Then you can trade those in on any steering system you desire or reinstall them.
I think I may try the boat stock with no additional steering options just to see how it reacts. We chose this boat not for its ability to perform crazy turns or tow skiers, tubers or wake boarders. We wanted a family bow rider with a few features and this fit the bill. Should be able to remove the fins and try out this weekend without them and post a report Sunday night or later next week.

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is where the Ultimates and Fangs shine - set up to be down at speed. Also huge help for water sports - to keep the stern planted.

--
Going to try out the boat without anything to see how it handles. Not sure even with steering enhancements with most of the hull out of the water that steering would be "easy" in a strong cross wind. This is where I do miss the outboard as we could trim the bow down into the water for better tracking. Although speed is greatly reduced and the overall ride quality is rougher.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going to try out the boat without anything to see how it handles. Not sure even with steering enhancements with most of the hull out of the water that steering would be "easy" in a strong cross wind. This is where I do miss the outboard as we could trim the bow down into the water for better tracking. Although speed is greatly reduced and the overall ride quality is rougher.
I came from outboards too. Believe me, I understand! LOL.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I still don't know what, but I blasted something night fishing one night that completely mauled my CJS steering system last week and busted my steering nozzle. I ordered a new nozzle from YSP immediately, and emailed Jeff about the CJS. I mailed it to him, it was fixed and sent back. I mailed it late Wednesday afternoon. I have it back already. $37 later. My replacement steering nozzle isn't here yet. Not saying anything bad about TV's, I've had em and loved em, but my recent "warranty" experience with CJS was certainly a pleasant one. Zero questions. Zero hassle. 2 or 3 emails telling me different things to look at, what to check, how to make sure everything is installed correctly, just genuine care that I'm back on the water in good shape again and quick. Just good customer service.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are just looking to improve steering then either will do, as I have owned both on my '17 212x.... if you are using any wake surfing attachments (on a newer Yamaha jetboat) ie. Wake Wedge, "The Flap" etc., then Cobra is the ONLY solution that will not bind up your steering at speed. I don't know about you, but I am a big fan of being able to steer my boat at cruising speed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the system that I would suggest you install on that boat after you try it naked for a day.

The Cobra Ultimate steering system is our most popular steering system . It is built from aircraft aluminum, the fins are only 3/16 thick and tempered for exceptional strength.
This Patented system, U S Patent 8425269 issued in April of 2013, fits most Yamaha jet boats , the only exception is the newest 21 and 24 foot articulating keel models and yes we have a special steering system, the Magnum A K system for those models.
The ULTIMATE SYSTEM is plug and play. The fins are spring loaded .
The system provides you with exceptional slow speed control for docking and no wake zones.
The ULTIMATE system makes it very easy for guest or novice operators to operate your boat even in congested no wake areas, even handling the wakes of passing boats with ease. So here is where the ULTIMATE earns it's name.
This system is selectable, YOU decide if you want the fins to stay down in the water at speed for water sport activities or for the sake of having excellent control of the boat even in rapid deceleration situations like collision avoidance.
This set actually allows YOU to set the fin depth when in all time mode.
You also have the option of staggering the fins on twin engine applications. You can set the inside fins lower and the outside fins higher to get the exact amount of influence that suits your style of driving and your size boat, yes YOU can set the level of influence in high speed mode to precisely accommodate your boats hull size, this allows you to set the influence level to exactly what you feel your boat requires to meet your individual needs .
Keep in mind if your needs change from time to time all you do is change the settings, no need to go buy a different set of fins.
The Ultimate steering uses a special selectable and adjustable actuator that is NOT positioned in the water below the nozzle so it can't cause drag, get snagged or kick up water behind the boat.
This actuator uses the jet of water exiting the nozzle to hold the fins down at the setting you chose while operating at speed, with the benefit of a backup spring to cover any situation where the pump fails or the engine stall for any reason.
This same actuator can be set to lift the fins up at speed using the same thrust exiting the nozzle to perform that function if you so desire.
This function utilizes the same spring to bring the fins back down when the boat is off plane for enhanced slow speed steering assistance .
The ULTIMATE system also incorporates a special multi function side force stabilizer that eliminates the need to add any stabilizer bars or braces between the fins in the flow of water that can snag things, create drag or create any unwanted water spraying up behind the boat.
So with both the specially designed side force stabilizer and the special actuator we have a unique selectable, adjustable and versatile answer for most Yamaha jet boat owners. From the smaller early jet boats to the largest models available.
Making this system UNIQUE and very desirable!
3 us patents with a fourth pending. Making steering for jet boats since 2001
The M.S.R.P. on a twin set is $450 the buy direct from my web page discounted price for the twin engine ULTIMATE steering is $369.
Cobra ultimate can also be upgraded with fangs below is a picture of Ultimate with fangs courtesy of @Ronnie

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is the system that I would suggest you install on that boat after you try it naked for a day.

The Cobra Ultimate steering system is our most popular steering system . It is built from aircraft aluminum, the fins are only 3/16 thick and tempered for exceptional strength.
This Patented system, U S Patent 8425269 issued in April of 2013, fits most Yamaha jet boats , the only exception is the newest 21 and 24 foot articulating keel models and yes we have a special steering system, the Magnum A K system for those models.
The ULTIMATE SYSTEM is plug and play. The fins are spring loaded .
The system provides you with exceptional slow speed control for docking and no wake zones.
The ULTIMATE system makes it very easy for guest or novice operators to operate your boat even in congested no wake areas, even handling the wakes of passing boats with ease. So here is where the ULTIMATE earns it's name.
This system is selectable, YOU decide if you want the fins to stay down in the water at speed for water sport activities or for the sake of having excellent control of the boat even in rapid deceleration situations like collision avoidance.
This set actually allows YOU to set the fin depth when in all time mode.
You also have the option of staggering the fins on twin engine applications. You can set the inside fins lower and the outside fins higher to get the exact amount of influence that suits your style of driving and your size boat, yes YOU can set the level of influence in high speed mode to precisely accommodate your boats hull size, this allows you to set the influence level to exactly what you feel your boat requires to meet your individual needs .
Keep in mind if your needs change from time to time all you do is change the settings, no need to go buy a different set of fins.
The Ultimate steering uses a special selectable and adjustable actuator that is NOT positioned in the water below the nozzle so it can't cause drag, get snagged or kick up water behind the boat.
This actuator uses the jet of water exiting the nozzle to hold the fins down at the setting you chose while operating at speed, with the benefit of a backup spring to cover any situation where the pump fails or the engine stall for any reason.
This same actuator can be set to lift the fins up at speed using the same thrust exiting the nozzle to perform that function if you so desire.
This function utilizes the same spring to bring the fins back down when the boat is off plane for enhanced slow speed steering assistance .
The ULTIMATE system also incorporates a special multi function side force stabilizer that eliminates the need to add any stabilizer bars or braces between the fins in the flow of water that can snag things, create drag or create any unwanted water spraying up behind the boat.
So with both the specially designed side force stabilizer and the special actuator we have a unique selectable, adjustable and versatile answer for most Yamaha jet boat owners. From the smaller early jet boats to the largest models available.
Making this system UNIQUE and very desirable!
3 us patents with a fourth pending. Making steering for jet boats since 2001
The M.S.R.P. on a twin set is $450 the buy direct from my web page discounted price for the twin engine ULTIMATE steering is $369.
Cobra ultimate can also be upgraded with fangs below is a picture of Ultimate with fangs courtesy of @Ronnie
These fins do look larger and beefier than the older model I have. I might have to try these out. I do like the fact that they can rise out the water at speed. Are there any videos or animations on how they work both at no wake and cruising? I am curious to know how the jet of water is affected with the actuator in the up position, I assume the fins are held 'up' by the jet blast hitting the actuator.

Art Traver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I came from outboards too. Believe me, I understand! LOL.

--
I was thinking of adding trim tabs, has any one tried this? Not sure if they would hinder performance, that and I really don't to add something else to maintain or have a potential failure with.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish these had trim like my 3 seater. I like the ability to dial-in for conditions.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
These fins do look larger and beefier than the older model I have. I might have to try these out. I do like the fact that they can rise out the water at speed. Are there any videos or animations on how they work both at no wake and cruising? I am curious to know how the jet of water is affected with the actuator in the up position, I assume the fins are held 'up' by the jet blast hitting the actuator.

\
Not just that but they are wider apart than the old style you have and even with the fins set to rise up at speed they leave about 10 percent of the fins in the water for extra steering and feedback at speed you can look in you tube under my name Jeff Walkowiak and see all sorts of videos.