• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tipping...and I'm not talking about pushing cows over!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As a non US citizen I think on the lines of Ronnie, I do seem to tip more when I'm in the US, but I tip anybody who I think deserves it. There was a thread sometime ago about tipping at the marina fuel dock, I do, but only around $5 or so, any small bills I might have on me.
My entry into the working environment, aged 14, was a market porter, and tipping (bunging we'd call it) was everything. We'd work dam hard and be very politeful, funny because any known poor tipper would get his produce chucked on his truck :D, so this set me up well to appreciate people's hard work.
My father-in-law tips everybody, and here's from the same background as me, but one thing I do notice in the UK, when you do tip, people are so surprised they remember you and look after you when you return.
On side note, we have a national minimum wage of $10.80, and the only real area tipping is common is restaurants but with no set %.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What a great discussion. We are consistent 20% tippers. It's not worth it to remove the tax amount. 20% is easy to figure out and worth it if the service has been good. I'll drop in an extra 5.00 if the server has been exceptional. The issue I have is my wife thinks it's mandatory. If the service is bad, the tip drops. Not usually lower then 10% unless it's REALLY bad. I have left a few coins ONLY before but that was horrible service, downright rude server. I think leaving 18 cents in change is a better message than leaving nothing.

A couple real events. We went to a restaurant in tampa in 12-2013 we were in town so I could have back surgery, the place was right on the water near the laser spine institute. The service was a little slow, not too bad though until the food came and I had ordered no pickles on my burger. It had pickles. so I remind them I ordered no pickles. The waiter acts bothered by my return and brings it back a couple minutes later with pickles removed and pickle footprints in the cheese from where they were removed. I was floored....I could have just pulled them off. I get a horrible attitude when I return it again and ask it to be remade. This time I cut it in half first so nothing can be reused. Mistakes happen but they acted like I was the a-hole. They got nothing.

Over Christmas, we stayed at a Hilton garden inn near my moms house in Atlanta. My brother came down from PA and also stayed there. He and his family complain about everything, treat people like crap and run the servers ragged. Breakfast was free because we both have Hilton status so they were paying nothing...They wouldn't tip at all. Waitress would come over and ask if we needed anything else and how things were, he and his wife would always make a rude comment about something dumb. We would always smile and say "great thanks" I would drop a 20.00 on the table every morning and apologize to the staff for him when they were away from the table.

No way I could do the job the folks in that type of service do. I would punch someone the first day.

What does bother me is I get the feeling that if I leave a lower than 20% tip, it's taken as "I'm a cheapskate" instead of "maybe I didn't do that great of a job" Anyone else get that sense? I have written notes on the CC slip before saying why it's a bad tip but I have a feeling that is taken as arrogance. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Interesting that when I was in Japan, most places wouldn't even accept a tip. They looked at it as insulting that they would have to be "bribed" to do their job well. That's how the locals said it was perceived. Service was always awesome anywhere we went.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tip 20% on the total bill. But if the service is bad, I tip less. As far as tipping on a hamburger compared to a steak dinner, it all balances out at the end. If restaurants would pay higher wages, then tipping could be eliminated. I do not understand the need to pay lower salary and expect tips to cover the rest of the salary. I work for a firm and we are consultants. I do not get paid a lower salary and expect my clients to tip me to get a normal salary.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In order to properly "Harry" the tip, one must make sure the cheapskate you are with does not observe you Harry the tip. "Harrying" is not done to embarrass the cheapskate, but to just ensure the server was fairly taken care of for performing their job appropriately.

And remember......never send food back in a restaurant........

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson
One think to keep in mind relating to the original question is that servers are expected to pay income taxes on those tips. The way that amount is often figured out is by the average percentage of tips left from people that payed from credit and debit cards (the only way a paper trail is left with tips). So the server is paying more taxes on the expected tip from the steak than from the hamburger. So if the same amount is left for the $40 steak as the $10 hamburger the steak person is actually giving less of real dollar tip. This also means that when you do not leave any tip it is actually costing the server because they still have to pay income tax on money they actually didn't earn. So if the restaurant's average tip is 15% and a server who probably doesn't have a lot of write offs pays 25% overall income tax then the server is paying $1.50 for serving you that steak and $0.38 for serving that hamburger. Maybe if the service is really bad it serves them right, but otherwise is really not fair.
If you really want to help the server out, pay by card but leave the tip in cash thereby lowering the average tip percentage.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the info @soggyshoes .... I knew there was something to do with the taxes but couldn't remember. I don't know why I even thought about the question that I originally posted. We were just talking about it one day and the thought entered my mind. Sometimes my wife will just shake her head at me when I come up some "out of the blue" question. Thanks again for the information.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't believe we are 3 pages in and no one has mentioned THE WORST tipping situation! I mean this one takes the cake. How this ever got started is beyond me but boils my blood every time I see these &%$#&^@ !!! Ya'll know what I'm talking about....... You go to a nice restaurant or night club, it's time to go take a piss, and as soon as you open the door there he is. Standing with a paper towel in his hand, a basket of mints, a couple bottles of watered down cologne, and of course the basket of tip money! UGHHHHH! I hate these dudes! I sometimes will literally walk out without washing my hands just so I don't have to feel guilty for stiffing the dude. Best part is the women don't have to put up with it. I have asked my wife several times if there is a chic in the ladies room doing the same thing. She looks at me like I have 3 heads or something and says NOOO... why would anyone do that?????

Amazing........

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't believe we are 3 pages in and no one has mentioned THE WORST tipping situation! I mean this one takes the cake. How this ever got started is beyond me but boils my blood every time I see these &%$#&^@ !!! Ya'll know what I'm talking about....... You go to a nice restaurant or night club, it's time to go take a piss, and as soon as you open the door there he is. Standing with a paper towel in his hand, a basket of mints, a couple bottles of watered down cologne, and of course the basket of tip money! UGHHHHH! I hate these dudes! I sometimes will literally walk out without washing my hands just so I don't have to feel guilty for stiffing the dude. Best part is the women don't have to put up with it. I have asked my wife several times if there is a chic in the ladies room doing the same thing. She looks at me like I have 3 heads or something and says NOOO... why would anyone do that?????

Amazing........
It's funny, Nate, hearing you describe that guy ... I don't get out much, but the only place I can think of offhand where I last experienced this was at the Barbary Coast on the strip... Lower limits mid-strip place by flamingo and ballys. I don't mind pitching the guy a buck or two, depending on my luck.

I do agree to your point though. It certainly is a 'crap' job.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Amazing........
HA!! The only tip I give is never hit on 17!! Just kidding, I have left a buck or two whenever "those guys" have been in the restroom.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't carry cash, so cash tips and hand outs come far and few between. I use one card and write one check at the end of the month. Keeps it simple.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't carry cash, so cash tips and hand outs come far and few between. I use one card and write one check at the end of the month. Keeps it simple.
Write a check? You know you can pay that stuff electronically now? ;)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Write a check? You know you can pay that stuff electronically now? ;)
You caught me thinking like it's 1999!! That's what I meant -- one click of my mouse and its paid.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
For some odd reason while I was making my coffee run at work I thought of this thread.
Scenario: You walk up to a counter to purchase something and there is a tip jar. For arguments sake let's say a tip was deserved. You have every intention of leaving a tip.
Question: Do you wait and make sure the worker see's you putting the tip in the jar or do you just toss it in regardless and walk away?

I think I am the type that waits till the see you toss the tip. This morning I tossed in couple quarters and the coffee lady never notice. No big deal but for some reason it made me feel like my tip may not be appreciated (I know, it was only $.50).

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe ... know the feeling. At our favorite Chinese joint there is a tip jar on the counter. I usually leave a buck because they always give me extra duck sauce without asking. They normally don't see me do this but I know I did it. Anyway, I'm sure they appreciate the extra at the end of the day.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Amazing........
When I did a little research on this a few weeks ago I came across a tipping table, restroom attendant was on there and I think the suggested tip was $1 or $2, similar to what the suggested tip for an airport porter per bag is. Ridiculous I think, if I just washed my hands and might be headed back to the table to eat I don't think touching money is the most sanitary action I could take. Seems like a true pity tipping situation, like tipping a guy who runs up while you are stopped at a light to clean your front window, wether it is dirty or not.

Here is an example of where tipping should not be expected. The context is I was at a ski resort this past weekend with my family (wife and son). We stopped at the lodge to pick up a snack/small lunch. Two slices of pizza, three bottled non alcoholic drinks, a bag of chips, m&ms and a rice crispy treat. All of which I had to stand in line for, put on the tray, pay for at a counter and than throw out the resulting trash (basically bus my own table). The bill was $56, which was surprising at the time, yesterday while cleaning out my wallet I see that the bill also had a tip line. For what? Job training for a position I didn't apply for? Maybe the registers are just programmed to include $0 tip lines by default but they can be easily changed to exclude that line altogether, it almost made me feel like leaving a cash tip at the table, until I remembered that I just did all the work that I would normally tip for. At least the service charge was $0, I guess they pay enough for the labor to swipe my card or take my cash.
image.jpg

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Ronnie Actually notice it is on there TWICE! Right below the State/Local Tax line is a Gratuity line (aka Tip) and then again below the amount due. I guess most wouldn't notice it after the shock of the food and drink prices. Wow! You know its messed up when the most reasonable item on the bill is the tax. LOL

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When I did a little research on this a few weeks ago I came across a tipping table, restroom attendant was on there and I think the suggested tip was $1 or $2, similar to what the suggested tip for an airport porter per bag is. Ridiculous I think, if I just washed my hands and might be headed back to the table to eat I don't think touching money is the most sanitary action I could take. Seems like a true pity tipping situation, like tipping a guy who runs up while you are stopped at a light to clean your front window, wether it is dirty or not.

Here is an example of where tipping should not be expected. The context is I was at a ski resort this past weekend with my family (wife and son). We stopped at the lodge to pick up a snack/small lunch. Two slices of pizza, three bottled non alcoholic drinks, a bag of chips, m&ms and a rice crispy treat. All of which I had to stand in line for, put on the tray, pay for at a counter and than throw out the resulting trash (basically bus my own table). The bill was $56, which was surprising at the time, yesterday while cleaning out my wallet I see that the bill also had a tip line. For what? Job training for a position I didn't apply for? Maybe the registers are just programmed to include $0 tip lines by default but they can be easily changed to exclude that line altogether, it almost made me feel like leaving a cash tip at the table, until I remembered that I just did all the work that I would normally tip for. At least the service charge was $0, I guess they pay enough for the labor to swipe my card or take my cash.
View attachment 17261
One SLICE of pizza was 11.50...HOLY CRAP....That's like the prices we paid in Hawaii last December. But you're kind of captured at the resort so you just pay it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie Actually notice it is on there TWICE! Right below the State/Local Tax line is a Gratuity line (aka Tip) and then again below the amount due. I guess most wouldn't notice it after the shock of the food and drink prices. Wow! You know its messed up when the most reasonable item on the bill is the tax. LOL
I noticed the double line tip/gratuity yesterday, almost feels like a reminder that I didn't tip, like no it wasn't a mistake up you left nothing. To be fair, there was no opportunity to write a tip in. She ran my card and handed me that receipt, I don't think I signed anything or entered a pin. Similar to how I'm charged at the cafeteria at work, if it's below a certain threshold they don't need a sig or Id. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive but I don't think they should have either a tip line or gratuity line in that context. It felt a lot like eating at mcdonalds sceptic that at mcdonalds they put the food on the tray for you and there are no tip or gratuity lines on the bill.

I didn't even get seated and had hunt to hunt for my own seating. The only comfort I got was was knowing that the family next to me with four slices of pizza, four drinks, etc, just paid a lot more than I did. Also I don't recall seeing any individual pricing on or for any of the times I purchased. I'm sure I didn't know my slice was almost $12 until I took another look at the reciept while eating. After seeing it I felt obligated to eat the whole thing, even a piece of sausage that rolled off of it onto the tray.

Heavenly is a beautiful resort with the best snowmaking facililties, lifts and runs I've ever seen but you are more of a captive audience there than any other resort I've been to because of the gondola / tram ride from basically the parking lot to the lodge, 12 minutes plus line time. So going back to the car will take 30 minutes round trip. The resort is only open for skiing / boarding from 8:30 to 4, adult lift tickets are $125 whether you ski or board all day or not at all.

By the way the cheapest item isn't the tax, well not directly, it's the governments other cut, the Usfs (u.s. Forrest/forresrtynservice fee).

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Resorts! As if they didn't already have you over a barrel with the outrageous lift ticket costs today. I would like to know what additional costs the vendor has to pay, i.e. , space/building lease, food service deliver, utility...vs a place down the mountain at the nearest town. I was going to say @Big Shasta , that those fees at Heavenly were way more expensive than the average costs in Hawaii! I say that, but this year we are doing Kauai instead of Hana, we may find that it is that expensive there...the house rental is out of sight. @Ronnie , resorts used to provide incredible service and have outstanding restaurants, but many only for breakfast and dinner now, because at $125 for a lift ticket, who will take the time to enjoy lunch...gotta get back on the mountain!

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I worked in a restaurant growing up as a waiter, dish washer, cook, etc... Because of that experience i tip at least 20% (unless something goes extremely wrong). I used to joke and tell people you shouldn't be allowed to eat out at a restaurant unless you have worked at one... Although i don't really believe that, i think people would appreciate what others in that job go through more if they have walked in their shoes.

I have never thought about the pre/post tax debate. That is really interesting... I guess i am just too lazy, so i have always used the bottom line number (post-tax)