• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Todays dilemma out on the water.....

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So took the boat out to do some more testing and familiarization with everything. Taking off one time boom the thing shut off, i see a shit ton of water out the back. Looks like I got bit by the phantom clean out plug blow out. I made sure they were in and set prior to leaving. Is it normal for these things to at times just spin themselves out?

Unfortunately it broke BOTH lid paws. Is their a replacement just for that? Had to tie the lid shut just to get back to keep the shutoff from killing the motors.

On another note my Connext decide it didnt want to tell 12hr time anymore....its displaying a zero, if i switch to 24hr time it will display correctly.......Wonderful. lol

Attachments

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
these are the straight bar latch paws im looking for, as im searching i see nothing but angled.

Danrich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I think this might be what your looking for.

Sounds like they had the same thing happen to them.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think this might be what your looking for.

Sounds like they had the same thing happen to them.
sweet ill get em ordered. Im more concerned at how the hell this one clean out plug popped. Turned them clockwise until they stopped, in the receiver groove and pushed down.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What does your cleanout plug look like?

The blowout issue is with older-style plugs.

Stuffing a nerf football in there can alleviate future damage, but this shouldn't be an issue with the newer style of plugs, so something else may be at play here. Plug pics of the one that you had an issue with might reveal the problem for us

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You are not having any luck with this boat. If the cleanout plug damaged? If not I would think it didn't get locked all the way. I don't think the new plug design can blow out, or if it did it would cause some serious damage.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You are not having any luck with this boat. If the cleanout plug damaged? If not I would think it didn't get locked all the way. I don't think the new plug design can blow out, or if it did it would cause some serious damage.
You are telling me lol. I inspected the plugs yesterday, no damage, I checked how they clicked in. I know when i got to the water I made it a point to install both. Pushed down, turn clockwise until they hit the stop. We were out probably 5 hrs. This didnt happen until later in the day. So roughly 4hrs cruising around, various stops. No damage other than the latches which i have 2 on order, but im going to make a spare set outta stainless bar myself.

Other than that mishap and the weird connext clock issue, everything went fine. Boat runs well, im getting use to everything and how it works. Im coming from a 06 Seadoo Speedster Wake 430, so everything mechanical, to now everything electronic. I do miss the seadoos ability to pivot in neutral with the bucket design in the back.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
How loose are they when locked in? I am not a body builder or anything but I have some good strength and mine take some force to unlock. I do not think my wife could do it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You are not alone though, I have had to fix a few things. I already had to fix a sliding seat that was frozen in place. My hand rail is now completely loose in the front so I have to dis-assembled the front and fix that.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
How loose are they when locked in? I am not a body builder or anything but I have some good strength and mine take some force to unlock. I do not think my wife could do it.
They were tight def need some muscle to install and remove.

My anchor locker is loose again, i tried a quick fix with marine silicone, didnt want to go the 4200 or 5200 route yet...but might have to. Im going to wait till my call with yamaha corporate as they are opening up a case for this boat when i drop off at the dealer to fix all the punch list stuff.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They were tight def need some muscle to install and remove.

My anchor locker is loose again, i tried a quick fix with marine silicone, didnt want to go the 4200 or 5200 route yet...but might have to. Im going to wait till my call with yamaha corporate as they are opening up a case for this boat when i drop off at the dealer to fix all the punch list stuff.
I recommend doing your own fix for the anchor locker. If you check my thread, I used a stainless steel bolt on fitting with 5200 around it. Flawless since I fixed. The dealer will keep your boat for weeks, if not months.... easier for me to just deal with this stuff on my own. Plus I know I did it right.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I recommend doing your own fix for the anchor locker. If you check my thread, I used a stainless steel bolt on fitting with 5200 around it. Flawless since I fixed. The dealer will keep your boat for weeks, if not months.... easier for me to just deal with this stuff on my own. Plus I know I did it right.
i looked for the thread couldnt find it...u have a link?

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you guys making sure they are set as “unlocked” and not “locked” when inserting them? If you look on the plugs you need to set it to unlock then push in place then turn to locked turning it clockwise. If you try to set them in “locked” they are super tight and need some muscle and then are not fully seated. You can force them in and they feel locked and tight but are not. If properly unlocked then turn easy like with 2 fingers.

I discovered the “lock” and “unlock” positions this weekend myself as I was having trouble with the plugs going back in.... turned to unlock and went in like butter.... I would go out and take a picture right now ifI could to show them.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are you guys making sure they are set as “unlocked” and not “locked” when inserting them? If you look on the plugs you need to set it to unlock then push in place then turn to locked turning it clockwise. If you try to set them in “locked” they are super tight and need some muscle and then are not fully seated. You can force them in and they feel locked and tight but are not. If properly unlocked then turn easy like with 2 fingers.

I discovered the “lock” and “unlock” positions this weekend myself as I was having trouble with the plugs going back in.... turned to unlock and went in like butter.... I would go out and take a picture right now ifI could to show them.
You can't even put them in correctly if they are set to "lock".

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can't even put them in correctly if they are set to "lock".
That is my point... but shoving them down in the hole the plugs can shift... you can push them in and they feel like they set but they are not. Just pointing out something I didn’t notice before this weekend.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That is my point... but shoving them down in the hole the plugs can shift... you can push them in and they feel like they set but they are not. Just pointing out something I didn’t notice before this weekend.
I see what your saying.

Maybe I've just been doing it for 4 years now with my old boat. They shift 50% of the time I put them in, but I know because it then doesn't go in the slot.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
When putting your cleanout plugs in, there should be very little muscle needed.

1) Make sure to set them correctly (mark to mark) before installing them.
2) Line up the metal tab as you insert the plugs to the female point of that tab in the cleanout tunnel.
3) Push slightly down and turn ... clockwise (trying to remember from my desk here).
4) Pull up on the plugs to ensure they're locked.

My 2020 plugs are snug, but a child could remove them.

Edit: This may be the difference - I spray the rubber gaskets with Yamalube on a bi-trip basis.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
When putting your cleanout plugs in, there should be very little muscle needed.

1) Make sure to set them correctly (mark to mark) before installing them.
2) Line up the metal tab as you insert the plugs to the female point of that tab in the cleanout tunnel.
3) Push slightly down and turn ... clockwise (trying to remember from my desk here).
4) Pull up on the plugs to ensure they're locked.

My 2020 plugs are snug, but a child could remove them.
My 2017 was like that. The 252 is a much tighter tolerance.