• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tower bimini ball end mounts bent

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was tightening up some loose screws on my bimini top and just noticed that these ball ends are both bent.

I bought the boat slightly used but I never noticed this so I’m not sure if it was done before or if it’s something I’m doing wrong.

Do you all leave those upper balls in the sockets all the time and lean it up on the tower to store it? That’s how I thought it was supposed to go at least.

[857E9403-2C11-4340-8DF4-15EFAB30AB3B.jpeg303495AC-EC18-4333-AE91-2289E053B3F7.jpeg

Can anyone please confirm that these are actually bent and not some Yamaha specific bend for the upper bimini mount on a 210/212?

It’s looking like I’m going to have to destroy these fittings to get them off so it would be unfortunate to find out I was wrong after the fact.

Both sides are very evenly bent for an accident but it sure does seem like that’s what happened.

Thanks!

Wonder if they were bent by the previous owner trying to snug up the bimini and not realizing they were bent?

I have a 210 one year newer than yours, and mine aren't bent. I've got the zip cover for my bimini, and the straps to keep it tight to the tower just don't reach that far if it's connected, so we just undo the whole thing and the straps buckle nicely to the top of the tower.

Seems like the chrome would at least be creased if they're bent, but I can't really tell from your pics. Maybe that first pic you posted is showing the evidence of being bent, but I couldn't say for sure. If it's still serviceable and doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm not sure I'd tinker with them just yet. Not sure if you can just get the ends of the fitting either, or if you've got to order a whole new frame set.

Wonder if they were bent by the previous owner trying to snug up the bimini and not realizing they were bent?

I have a 210 one year newer than yours, and mine aren't bent. I've got the zip cover for my bimini, and the straps to keep it tight to the tower just don't reach that far if it's connected, so we just undo the whole thing and the straps buckle nicely to the top of the tower.

Seems like the chrome would at least be creased if they're bent, but I can't really tell from your pics. Maybe that first pic you posted is showing the evidence of being bent, but I couldn't say for sure. If it's still serviceable and doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm not sure I'd tinker with them just yet. Not sure if you can just get the ends of the fitting either, or if you've got to order a whole new frame set.

They are stainless steel, not chrome plated.

Last edited:
My brother has your exact same boat, year and sub model. He doesn’t store it at his home, so it might take a few days for him to get eyes on it, but if you’re not in a rush, and you don’t get a definitive answer, we will come through for u.
@Fast Freddy

IMHO, “ that shit is bent for sure .”

I think what your seeing is more shoddy work from the assembly workers at the yamaha plant or the dealer, that is whoever Installed the the mounts and top.

Like the cabin speakers Yamaha does not seem to use a jig or template to assure that the installation points are consistent between different boats in the same line. As far as speakers go there are numerous posts about yamaha drilling twice, sometimes three times as many mounting holes as a speaker has (both my yamaha boats had this).

here I think the installer just eye-balled where to place the Bimini top mounts which probably looked fine when the top was stowed but was out of alignment when the top is deployed.

The basis for my theory comes from my experience in developing a custom Bimini top extension for my 242 ls. I’ve had to add two sets of those mounts to the tower. One for when the extension is deployed and another for when it is stowed while still attached to the main Bimini. I had to reposition the deployed Bimini points once or twice to get the alignment right through the entire range of motion for the Bimini rib/trailing edge support rod.

if you want to“fix” the problem you will have to replace the ends, and relocate their mounting points on the tower. If it was me, I wouldn’t “fix” it unless or until the top became unusable. Fixing this will probably cost more than you expect and take a lot more time than anticipated as well.

Thanks guys. I have the new ends but the old ones are held on with stainless rivets and I’m having a hell of a time getting them out with a hand drill so I was going to hit them with the angle grinder.

The PO did the damage I think, there’s a couple big scratches on the tower where the bimini shouldn’t have been. I thinking they drove with it up or didn’t have it strapped to the tower or something.

Mine are bent the same way. No idea if intentional or not, but it functions fine so I haven't worried (truthfully, never even gave it a second thought until this thread) about it. I've had it since 10 hours (dealer demo prior), and I never tow with the bimini not put away and strapped down, or abuse it otherwise.

Mine are bent the same way. No idea if intentional or not, but it functions fine so I haven't worried (truthfully, never even gave it a second thought until this thread) about it. I've had it since 10 hours (dealer demo prior), and I never tow with the bimini not put away and strapped down, or abuse it otherwise.
That’s funny I bought mine with less than 15 on it. Some people are hard on their stuff.

@AZMark my brother said his are definitely straight. Even sent picks. Proceed with destructive measures. Lol

Back