• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing the 210 - Newbie ? Long Distance

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You will not even notice that boat behind that truck don’t worry about it it is 3500 pounds. The trailer surge breaks will take care of stopping the boat you’re not even going to know it’s there just don’t forget about it and swing in too tight on a turn. You can do 70 miles an hour all day long.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 215/75D14 Carlisle bias ply that came on mine are rated for 81 mph. I’m definitely going to radial trailer tires when they wear out though.
Make sure to inflate them to the the max PSI on the tread wall. It should be around 50 PSI.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking into the same boat. The boat is 3200 pounds, trailer 1100, plus gas. I didn't see your your vehicle's towing ability.

I wondered if my Pilot with tow package (5k capacity) would be able to make it on the ramps. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking into the same boat. The boat is 3200 pounds, trailer 1100, plus gas. I didn't see your your vehicle's towing ability.

I wondered if my Pilot with tow package (5k capacity) would be able to make it on the ramps. Anyone have thoughts on this?
short distance yes. Long distance no.
if you have 10 -15 minutes to read this you will understand why although the weight capacity is okay it is not a good idea.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
By the time you load up that boat with gear, account for passengers in your vehicle (affects towing capacity, usually they rate it with 2 people) you’ll be right there, possibly beyond. My folks have 2 Pilots in the family. Great cars, not great towing heavy trailers.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Oh and if you have the 5 speed auto that’s a hard pass for me. You’ll cook that thang quick.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Time for a new Tow Vehicle? I keep getting shot emails that they are basically giving away F-150's and Chevy Trucks right now.

Used market is going to get a ton of vehicles off lease, now that people are able to turn in the leases and release.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, I closed on My new Expedition the Friday before the lockdown. Poor timing on my part. The deals have come down alot

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad I asked. I'll take a look at the thread. It's better to be informed than ignorant.
Even though I'm not a jet boat owner (yet) I have been learning allot just reading the forums

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@hapyfishrmn this forum has costed me a 3 months old Pilot with 5,000 miles on it. Can you imagine the depreciation you take when you walk to FOrd dealership and you tell " I need to trade this for something I can tow with" :banghead:

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I am not looking forward to adding another vehicle to our fleet. Maybe I am just going with too much boat and should consider the AR190 instead of the AR210.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If we had bought a 190 I would have kept the Pilot, but the 240 weight plus the ballon effect the boat have behind the tow vehicle, I would not feel comfortable putting my kids in the car with the boat behind.
I would defiantly put the transmission cooler and make sure you have brakes on the trailer.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On our Pilot I added the trans mission cooler and hitch so that it was capable of handling 5000lbs. Having brakes on a trailer make a lot of difference. Still not sure if I would be doing harm to our transmission by attempting to pull a boat of that size. Plus trying to get in and out of ramps could be tricky.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just looked on Yamaha site and the AR190's are 2,441 lbs (3,111 w/ trailer). I was assuming they might be a bit heavier than this.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just looked on Yamaha site and the AR190's are 2,441 lbs (3,111 w/ trailer). I was assuming they might be a bit heavier than this.
I estimate my AR190 to be around 3,700-3,900lbs on the trailer. Maybe a little more with some coolers, full tank of fuel, and a "long weekend" worth of gear. Doubt it crests 4,100 lbs though.

Keep in mind you shouldn't be looking only at towed weight, but need to also consider the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). This is the total amount of weight that the truck/trailer combination can be. This is often pretty low on Unibody SUV's. I think it's 15k lbs for my 1500 class pickup. A 10k or 12k rating on your SUV would limit you significantly.....For reference, my 1500 pickup is rated at 9,200lbs of tow capacity. I figured last years vacation with a bed full of "stuff" for a week, full fuel in boat and truck, 2 adults, 2 kids (with carseats) that I only had around 2,000lbs remaining in my combined capacity. A 24ft boat (as compared to my 19ft boat) would have eaten that away.

We towed a few times with my wifes 2010 Traverse. Similar platform and size to the Pilot. The chassis was plenty capable, and there was adequate power. We had the optional towing package with HD coolers, revised shifting parameters, and factory hitch/harness. The transmission temps would skyrocket right along with the engine temps when significantly loaded in the summer. Coolant temps would easily climb into the 220's, and the trans temps were often over 215. For reference, my 1500 GMC pickup rarely breaks 205deg, and I've never seen the trans over 190 in the same conditions. With 4 adults, and 3 kids in the Traverse, and the AR190 in tow on a 95deg summer day, it was struggling to stay cool, and it showed. I had a Trailblazer SS as well, that is VERY similar in size to your Pilot. It towed our AR190 like it wasn't there. It had a 400hp/400ft-lb 6.0L V8 in it, air suspension, and a 13k lb GCVWR. Cooling was it's issue with that truck as well, but it had cooling issues to start with due to the giant engine.

The point of my ramblings is that having some extra safety factor in your tow vehicle makes every aspect of towing easier. Sure you don't HAVE to have it, but it sure makes life easier......and isn't that why you bought a boat in the first place?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Florida to NY. The boat alone exceeded the tow rating of the Armada.
Do slow starts, only go as fast as the speed limit and definitely keep some distance between you and the car in front of you. The pilot will not have any trouble at the ramps, AWD and at most it is going up 50’EA563FF6-50AE-4DB0-A195-25682D52B20F.png

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah I am not looking forward to adding another vehicle to our fleet. Maybe I am just going with too much boat and should consider the AR190 instead of the AR210.
Wait What? You couldn't ask for a better reason to get a great new truck!

I actually got myself a Power Wagon, RAM 2500, it will tow just over 10k lbs.

I went with this because it's replacing my Jeep Rubicon and this is a Rubicon in a truck :)

Ron Zimmerman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Tow my 210 FSH with an F-250. Don’t even know it’s back there. KCMO GO SARASOTA non stop on two different occasions. Harder on me than the tow vehicle. Just a minor thing, Blue masking tape on your tower and front console seat saves a ton of work cleaning bugs after a trip. Also, never tow over 50 with the tower Bimini cloth on. It will shred.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Florida to NY. The boat alone exceeded the tow rating of the Armada.
Do slow starts, only go as fast as the speed limit and definitely keep some distance between you and the car in front of you. The pilot will not have any trouble at the ramps, AWD and at most it is going up 50’View attachment 122423
What the! Nice, barely any squat on that Nissan either. How did it brake? You've got big balls man!

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here to go!
Tow with anything.
;)