• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, we are 2.5+ years since this thread started. Although all the EV arguments are interesting, has anybody built any experience TOWING with an EV? Still very curious to hear anyone’s real world experience. Thanks.
Not sure we have much experience in this thread or this board. There was a post by someone a few pages back with a ModelX and a Yamaha boat. Several guys here have towed things with Tesla products, but few with a boat, and none long distance. Don't think we have a Rivian owner on the boards yet. Several of us have reservations on Lightnings, Silverado's, and Rivians though, just no deliveries at this point that I'm aware of.

@Remington posted some data a few pages back. Looks like (from his profile) he's towing a '20 AR190 with a Model X.

Lots of online reviews and data to mull through. Guy towed a Mustang on an open car trailer from Detroit to CA with a Rivian. There's a family on Youtube that pulls a camper with a Model X. Lots of data on short trips, and you can get a general Wh/mi usage number from there. TFL truck did the "ike gauntlet" with a Rivian with acceptable results. The did the lightning tow test as well.

General premise is still pretty much "range kinda sucks", "Torque and stability is amazing". You can do it if you WANT to, but it takes forethought and planning. Deal breaker for some, interesting challenge for others.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not sure we have much experience in this thread or this board. There was a post by someone a few pages back with a ModelX and a Yamaha boat. Several guys here have towed things with Tesla products, but few with a boat, and none long distance. Don't think we have a Rivian owner on the boards yet. Several of us have reservations on Lightnings, Silverado's, and Rivians though, just no deliveries at this point that I'm aware of.

@Remington posted some data a few pages back. Looks like (from his profile) he's towing a '20 AR190 with a Model X.

Lots of online reviews and data to mull through. Guy towed a Mustang on an open car trailer from Detroit to CA with a Rivian. There's a family on Youtube that pulls a camper with a Model X. Lots of data on short trips, and you can get a general Wh/mi usage number from there. TFL truck did the "ike gauntlet" with a Rivian with acceptable results. The did the lightning tow test as well.

General premise is still pretty much "range kinda sucks", "Torque and stability is amazing". You can do it if you WANT to, but it takes forethought and planning. Deal breaker for some, interesting challenge for others.
Your talking in general about long-range towing. A lot of us do short-range towing.... in which case EVs do great. If you know a way I can get data from the 4XE I can share my results. It tows 3/4x a time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@adrianp89 I'm completely unaware of a method to get energy usage from a plug in hybrid like your 4xe Jeep. Wish I knew something, would be interesting to see what kind of energy you're using in full "EV Mode".

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@adrianp89 I'm completely unaware of a method to get energy usage from a plug in hybrid like your 4xe Jeep. Wish I knew something, would be interesting to see what kind of energy you're using in full "EV Mode".
I thought of something after I posted. My charger shows power used. I can reset that after a trip to the ramp and see what it takes to get back to 100%.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought of something after I posted. My charger shows power used. I can reset that after a trip to the ramp and see what it takes to get back to 100%.
We'll have some baked in charging losses, but it's better than nothing. Appreciate the efforts!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Great info! Thank you very much.
I don’t have a need to tow anything right now, but when/if I get back into the game, I’d like to go EV tow vehicle for a lot of reasons. However, I also have a need to tow about 9 hrs each way once per year. Doesn’t look like the Goldilocks solution for my (currently hypothetical) needs is out there… yet.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info! Thank you very much.
I don’t have a need to tow anything right now, but when/if I get back into the game, I’d like to go EV tow vehicle for a lot of reasons. However, I also have a need to tow about 9 hrs each way once per year. Doesn’t look like the Goldilocks solution for my (currently hypothetical) needs is out there… yet.
Once a year is a hard item to hit. You can do it with an EV, but you have to seriously plan for it. You'll have to ask yourself if it's worth the planning for a single trip, is it worth it to RENT for that single trip, or if it's a dealbreaker for you. It's certainly possible, but it will impact your plans at some level.

If your "normal" tow range is within about 50-60mi from home, then any of the coming EV pickups will get you to all those places with a little reserve. Beyond that you have to start thinking about hitting a charger on the way there or on the way home. Again, a dealbreaker for some, others will like the challenge.

For me, I can get to 3/4 of my favorite spots on a single charge. The 4th has a charger right next to a favorite lunch spot, so the change in planning is eating lunch in a restaurant instead of in the truck and keep moving. Might pull an hour of time difference. Everything else will be largely the same. That changes if we stay the night in a campground. I'll just charge there while we sleep, and it's no change. In fact, MOST of the large lakes that are within weekend distance for me have campgrounds nearby, and spot rental is relatively inexpensive with electricity available. Spot rental is less than a tank of premium for reference :D :D

Also.....some of these issues aren't just EV centric. If you get a thirsty tow vehicle you end up with equally short range, and if you're out west you still have to plan some of those stops out. @swatski took a trip out west in his Land Cruiser some years ago. If I remember right that thing has a small tank and a thirsty engine, as well as a lead foot driver. If memory serves, he had to plan a stop or two because of that. While not exactly the same, it's very similar mentality to having to watch range and refuel locations as driving an EV (or planning a long trip on a boat for that matter).

SO......100% answer there is; you're right, we're not quite there yet, but the gap is closing quick.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, we are 2.5+ years since this thread started. Although all the EV arguments are interesting, has anybody built any experience TOWING with an EV? Still very curious to hear anyone’s real world experience. Thanks.
Feel like I/we discussed it a few times? but IM aging.. soo........

Iv'e only towed our 3200lb ish boat like 44 miles round trip to the river once. Handled it remarkably. But found a 40-50% range loss. Much more than the 30% drop with the suv. Still though, the cost....its cheaper by FAR! But the range drop makes it "iffy" for our longer trip to the lake, until theres a PULL-FREAKING-THROUGH supercharger design. Its about 120 miles. FINE, but theres very little margin of error.

So irritating to be coffin corner in parking lots even WITHOUT a trailer lol That's actually the only thing stopping me from doing it more-though I presume Ill be trying it more this summer! By design I wanted to get used to the car before I started pushing it too far as well though.

Question, If towing with your gas truck, you had the prospect of having to unhook your trailer, backing into a charger for 20 minutes, then rehook trailer and go, would you be thrilled about towing? I wouldnt.

I dont understand why this isnt talked about more?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question, If towing with your gas truck, you had the prospect of having to unhook your trailer, backing into a charger for 20 minutes, then rehook trailer and go, would you be thrilled about towing? I wouldnt.

100% agree.

For me in particular, hooking/unhooking is relatively easy. I have a VERY simple hitch setup. Some of these guys with big RV's that have WD hitches in place.....OOF, No thanks on unhooking to charge.

Rivian helped by putting the charging port at the front of the truck. At least you can pull in to a charger and the cord will reach. Trailer is left hanging out in the isle, but it's a step. I think the lightning and silverado have more traditional locations.

I did see a post on Reddit the other day with pull through superchargers out in CA at a truck stop. I suspect it's for the Semi's to stop and charge as needed, but if I had a trailer on a Model X I'll be damned if I wouldn't use them!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once a year is a hard item to hit. You can do it with an EV, but you have to seriously plan for it. You'll have to ask yourself if it's worth the planning for a single trip, is it worth it to RENT for that single trip, or if it's a dealbreaker for you. It's certainly possible, but it will impact your plans at some level.

If your "normal" tow range is within about 50-60mi from home, then any of the coming EV pickups will get you to all those places with a little reserve. Beyond that you have to start thinking about hitting a charger on the way there or on the way home. Again, a dealbreaker for some, others will like the challenge.

For me, I can get to 3/4 of my favorite spots on a single charge. The 4th has a charger right next to a favorite lunch spot, so the change in planning is eating lunch in a restaurant instead of in the truck and keep moving. Might pull an hour of time difference. Everything else will be largely the same. That changes if we stay the night in a campground. I'll just charge there while we sleep, and it's no change. In fact, MOST of the large lakes that are within weekend distance for me have campgrounds nearby, and spot rental is relatively inexpensive with electricity available. Spot rental is less than a tank of premium for reference :D :D

Also.....some of these issues aren't just EV centric. If you get a thirsty tow vehicle you end up with equally short range, and if you're out west you still have to plan some of those stops out. @swatski took a trip out west in his Land Cruiser some years ago. If I remember right that thing has a small tank and a thirsty engine, as well as a lead foot driver. If memory serves, he had to plan a stop or two because of that. While not exactly the same, it's very similar mentality to having to watch range and refuel locations as driving an EV (or planning a long trip on a boat for that matter).

SO......100% answer there is; you're right, we're not quite there yet, but the gap is closing quick.
Makes sense. Clearly EVs today would be a great solution for the local lakes. Many of our trips would be between 1 - 2 hrs one way. If that was doable without recharge, then I would probably go for it. The longer annual trip is already high PIA factor so need to plan recharges would just add to the pile of issues. I doubt I would rent as that would be 2x one-way rentals about 10 to 14 days apart. Likely would just have to plan and stomach a couple recharges each way. However, stopping every 75 mins or something like that would be a show stopper for me.
Feel like I/we discussed it a few times? but IM aging.. soo........

Iv'e only towed our 3200lb ish boat like 44 miles round trip to the river once. Handled it remarkably. But found a 40-50% range loss. Much more than the 30% drop with the suv. Still though, the cost....its cheaper by FAR! But the range drop makes it "iffy" for our longer trip to the lake, until theres a PULL-FREAKING-THROUGH supercharger design. Its about 120 miles. FINE, but theres very little margin of error.

So irritating to be coffin corner in parking lots even WITHOUT a trailer lol That's actually the only thing stopping me from doing it more-though I presume Ill be trying it more this summer! By design I wanted to get used to the car before I started pushing it too far as well though.

Hadn’t even thought about that issue! I do expect these issues will be resolved over time. Fortunately, I am in no rush.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makes sense. Clearly EVs today would be a great solution for the local lakes. Many of our trips would be between 1 - 2 hrs one way. If that was doable without recharge, then I would probably go for it. The longer annual trip is already high PIA factor so need to plan recharges would just add to the pile of issues. I doubt I would rent as that would be 2x one-way rentals about 10 to 14 days apart. Likely would just have to plan and stomach a couple recharges each way. However, stopping every 75 mins or something like that would be a show stopper for me.
Agreed on all these points.

For me, it wouldn't be a huge change. We already stop about every 90-120 min or so for various reasons. Seems we can't time a restroom/lunch/refuel break to happen at the same time to save our butts.

Case in point, we followed my family down to Destin last year. He hauled arse to get down there, only to have to wait an hour to check in at the hotel. On top of that, we waited for 45min in the parking lot of the cracker barrel for them to open (because we were hungry and forgot about the time change). So there was no need to drive 90mph at any level, and we clearly were able to stop for hours at a time........SO, we took our time coming back and let them haul arse to get home. They beat us home by 90min. We drove leisurely, stopped when we felt like it, and for as long as we liked. The stress level on the way back was so much lighter. I really suspect that once I get into an EV and we make long trips, I'll have more of those experiences.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Hadn’t even thought about that issue! I do expect these issues will be resolved over time. Fortunately, I am in no rush.
Every time I see a new a Tesla SC pop up on routes I take, i'm equally thrilled its there and incensed it's being overlooked.

The week we spent in Colorado, our first big trip in the model y, made this clear. Saturday morning near Breckenridge both chargers in SIlverthorne were full with more coming. Its in the corner of a starbucks. There were people queueing up, and one person in an ICE car just parked waiting for their coffee taking up a charging spot lol I thought to myself Imagine I'm towing...the curse words that would be emanating from me.. oh man. Such a simple thing that needs fixed immediately. And I'm getting more and more annoyed by it.

Again I am FULLY PRO-EV for one part of a multiple car family, or a city car. But this is a big part of what stops me from being ALL-in so to speak, and why I ended up with a new ICE for a second car..

I think its coming. but. Expect 5 yrs before its there.. I mean It took me 5+ to get from first meeting in 2015 to where it worked for me.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that we have a nice and large ICE vehicle that could do everything, if there were to be an EV equivalent to my TBSS (except obviously faster), that was actually fun to drive, and could do the towing In a pinch, I'd give it a shot.

I strongly suspect the next gen jeep srt will combine the high output in line 6 with the 4xe electric drive train, that sounds like the most likely contender to fill that role for me. But maybe the Blazer SS will surprise me. Probably not as GM has a way of ruining everything lately, but maybe?

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that we have a nice and large ICE vehicle that could do everything, if there were to be an EV equivalent to my TBSS (except obviously faster), that was actually fun to drive, and could do the towing In a pinch, I'd give it a shot.

I strongly suspect the next gen jeep srt will combine the high output in line 6 with the 4xe electric drive train, that sounds like the most likely contender to fill that role for me. But maybe the Blazer SS will surprise me. Probably not as GM has a way of ruining everything lately, but maybe?
I think I said this before, but a PHEV truck with a 4000-5000 lb tow rating and a non stratospheric price would sell like hotcakes, i'd be a customer.

Ford...maybe Beef up the maverick slightly. I'm talkin like a 40 mile battery range. only really need 20-25kw battery. The xtra weight of that (in theory) could add tow capability.

I'm thinking just like the Jeep 4xe! Plug in and dont use any gas for the boring daily drives, but can still get you to the fun stuff on the weekend!

toyota trying... but going with hybrid, small battery 1.5kw/h or something.. I like it but, not enough to sway me. Its way at the bottom of this...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I said this before, but a PHEV truck with a 4000-5000 lb tow rating and a non stratospheric price would sell like hotcakes, i'd be a customer.

Ford...maybe Beef up the maverick slightly. I'm talkin like a 40 mile battery range. only really need 20-25kw battery. The xtra weight of that (in theory) could add tow capability.

I'm thinking just like the Jeep 4xe! Plug in and dont use any gas for the boring daily drives, but can still get you to the fun stuff on the weekend!

toyota trying... but going with hybrid, small battery 1.5kw/h or something.. I like it but, not enough to sway me. Its way at the bottom of this...

I'd like 6000 to 7500 pounds ideally. 5k would be a bare minimum for my Sx230, and I'd likely exceed that with the family and fuel and snacks and whatnot, but by enough to be "probably OK occasionally".

GC 4xe seems to fit the bill for you, I think it will do well. I suspect the srt is going to likely follow this route, possibly with 2 levels? A srt with the low output i6 and the electric powertrain, and maybe an SRT X with the high output? I think that'd be fairly close to trackhawk output, and likely beat it in performance.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd like 6000 to 7500 pounds ideally. 5k would be a bare minimum for my Sx230, and I'd likely exceed that with the family and fuel and snacks and whatnot, but by enough to be "probably OK occasionally".

GC 4xe seems to fit the bill for you, I think it will do well. I suspect the srt is going to likely follow this route, possibly with 2 levels? A srt with the low output i6 and the electric powertrain, and maybe an SRT X with the high output? I think that'd be fairly close to trackhawk output, and likely beat it in performance.
I set my threshold at 6k. Enough to get into a 240 series boat with a little headroom. Also weeds out all the 5,200lb ratings taht are right on the cusp.

An EV with big brakes should have no problem getting through SAEJ2801 at that level.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
fair points but... ehh yamahas don't weight that much. :p

my 17' runabout weighs almost as much as 210! (in 2014 ish when I was first looking) lol

im like 3300 on the trailer i think?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
fair points but... ehh yamahas don't weight that much. :p

my 17' runabout weighs almost as much as 210! (in 2014 ish when I was first looking) lol

im like 3300 on the trailer i think?
Gotta be more than that for a 210. My '17 AR190 scaled at 3160 on the trailer last spring.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm underwhelmed.

The design up front looks dorky. The rear 3/4 doesn't look right to me, can't put my finger on it, but somethings just... Not right. They're saying 500hp, which frankly, just doesn't seem like enough anymore, especially for a porky fella like that. I get that EVs are more about the torque, but it just seems to be lacking. Obviously all the specs are largely conjecture, they could throw a curveball and knock it out of the park specs wise. But yeah, it looks a bit funky to me. Maybe they'll really blow me away and be like "guess what y'all it's a 1000hp 3 motor setup like the hummer" and I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I get the impression they won't, and that it's going to be as dorky and cheap looking inside as a Tesla.

I'm just waiting for the GC SRT with the turbo i6 and the PHEV tacked in to be announced. I can feel it in my core it's coming. I think that's going to be a far more useful vehicle personally.