• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the wife decided to order a Tesla Model X. Any one have any experience towing with one of these? It say the towing capacity is 5000# which will be on the edge of the weight of my AR240. She usually has the tow vehicle so I’m debating on buying another truck just as a tow vehicle as I put so many miles on my car for work it doesn’t make sense for me to have a truck. We tow to our marina 3 miles from where the boat is stored maybe 4 times a year once to drop it for the season, a mid season pull out for cleaning and to pull at the end of the season. This is all flat towing with 50 mph speed limits. For any longer trips I would rent a truck if I don’t buy one what are your thoughts or experiences?

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be wrong but I believe the AR240's are 3660 dry before gear, gas and trailer. I also think the trailer (not sure what you have) but an Shorelandr factory AR trailer down here in the south is around 1260lbs or so. If that' the case, then you'd be at 4920 dry. I know boatest.com has the 2017 AR240 tested weight at around 4400lbs assuming that's loaded down on the water. I'm fairly new to this but my understanding is that you'd want at least 10% overage for safety reasons as well.

Also after reading your post again, I've read other posts where some people say they've gotten away with max tow weight or even over when traveling short distances, similar to you. However, I can't imagine that's good for the tow vehicle mechanically and possible risk of an accident for being over, if you actually are in terms of total towing capacity.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be wrong but I believe the AR240's are 3660 dry before gear, gas and trailer. I also think the trailer (not sure what you have) but an Shorelandr factory AR trailer down here in the south is around 1260lbs or so. If that' the case, then you'd be at 4920 dry. I know boatest.com has the 2017 AR240 tested weight at around 4400lbs assuming that's loaded down on the water. I'm fairly new to this but my understanding is that you'd want at least 10% overage for safety reasons as well.

Also after reading your post again, I've read other posts where some people say they've gotten away with max tow weight or even over when traveling short distances, similar to you. However, I can't imagine that's good for the tow vehicle mechanically and possible risk of an accident for being over, if you actually are in terms of total towing capacity.
I agree it is very much on the limit that’s why I’m reaching out to see if anyone else has done it. I’m usually an overkill person our current tow vehicle is rated at 9500# but she is trading it in. It’s not the biggest deal if I can’t I can rent an F250 locally from enterprise truck rental for $65 a day so not terrible if I need it only a few times a year.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Although this guys tie down strategy is suspect, he had no problem towing great distance through the mountains.

I am of the camp if the manufacturer says it will tow "X" amount, by golly I am going to do it. Apples to oranges, but I have towed long distances at my max of 3500#, no problems.

My typical tow is 2 miles to the launch. Car isn't even warmed up at that point. No issues.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some EV manufacturers do not recommend towing boats due to immersion of parts of the electric system, power and voltage levels in these vehicles, etc. when launching or retrieving at a boat ramp. You may want to check with offical Tesla info sources for this if you ever intend to use your Model X at the boat ramp.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm envious!!

--

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Some EV manufacturers do not recommend towing boats due to immersion of parts of the electric system, power and voltage levels in these vehicles, etc. when launching or retrieving at a boat ramp. You may want to check with offical Tesla info sources for this if you ever intend to use your Model X at the boat ramp.

This right here would be my biggest concern.
While you never plan to submerge it.. shit can happen fast.
I’m sure things are sealed up but I highly doubt they are sealed up to the extent of “ Submersion”.
Just something to keep in mind and as stated, get Tesla”s take on it, if they say it’s good to go, do your self a Favor and get them to give it in writing via email and save it, because you never know.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you know that neighbor down the block that’s got crap out in his yard and drives a pick up truck. For a case of beer each time he’d probably move your boat the 4 miles. He probably drinks cheap beer also so for 100 or $150 you can get your boat moved the four times.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm envious!!

--
I’m envious of her as well. one day I will have enough money to afford one as well maybe if she gives me a loan.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ratket and @GTBRMC i have seen videos of people running them through shallow rivers so I think it will be ok but asking them is a great Idea or at least asking if her warranty will be valid if something happens.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
They show a model x towing a boat on their website so I’m sure they are ok with it.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well we pulled the trigger I will give feed back after I tow for the first time. I drove it almost 500 miles home yesterday and surprisingly the trip wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gas car also is no good underwater! Don't submerge either please.

Electric car torque is amazing and will keep a smile on any spirited driver! I bet it will tow very well...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I drove it almost 500 miles home yesterday and surprisingly the trip wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.
why would think the trip was going to be bad ?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why would think the trip was going to be bad ?
Having to stop and charge multiple times but each stop was like 30 min so it wasn’t terrible. I had to stop 3 times but that’s because Tesla only had the car charged to about 65% when I left with it. @Betik i do need to rent you traveling hitch scale though so put me in line to grab it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having to stop and charge multiple times but each stop was like 30 min so it wasn’t terrible. I had to stop 3 times but that’s because Tesla only had the car charged to about 65% when I left with it. @Betik i do need to rent you traveling hitch scale though so put me in line to grab it.
text me address you want it sent