• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trailering

Sroc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Has anyone towed a Yamaha 252 with a ford explorer ( short distances ie <10 miles)? Ford explorer shows a max towing of 5600lb. The dry weight of the 252 is 4612 trailer another 900. I was once told auto manufacturers have a 500lb safety factor. I realize likely this would be over gross my trailering needs are twice yearly to and from the marina for the season around 10 miles. just curious if anyone else has used Ford Explorer and how did it go?
TIA

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'd do it, no problem. If you're worried about it, given that short of distance, travel low traffic roads at low traffic times. Give plenty of distance in preparation for a panic stop. Go very slow. Easy peasy......

In before the Johnny Do-Gooders say it can't be done. LOL Errrr Mah Gerrd Becky he's xxlbs over. He's gonna kill someone....(little girl squeals). LOL

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you add the amount of fuel in the boat, 6lbs per gallon + any other gear weight stowed in the boat that will even further putt you in a hole.
If i was only going that far ocasionally and could go back roads, downhill both ways. I would certainly give it a try.
If the trailer has breaks thats a big saftey ticket item there. Im sure the xploder will do it, stay in a lower gear and youll be fine. When its hot and heavy those a04d transmissions will overheat and blow seal out. Dont ask me how i know.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lol - he said “Exploder” 😂😂

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Go easy with it and don't let it "gear hunt". As said above, the transmission will thank you.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
10 miles 2x per year I'd likely do it...and as others have said, keep is slow and easy. That, or if you're worried, rent a u-Haul truck for that short of a distance. It'd be hard to justify a bigger towing rig for that short of a distance.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've weighed my 252SE & trailer on CAT scales before: with batteries, full tank of gas, and some toys in it, it was about 6000lbs. You'll be a little over, but for the distance and how infrequently you'll be doing it, the Explorer could probably handle it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
For your needs…. No issues

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You won't have any issues pulling 10 miles twice a year. I tow my 5k boat with an SUV with 5k capacity...it does just fine. It won't win any drag races, and I wouldn't tow it 100 miles or over big hills, but it pulls just fine each weekend. If you decide to start trailering around the country, then you'll want to upgrade to something with higher towing capacity and more power.