• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs - options - wake surfing (and cruising)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know what to do about this? The tab bracket was sent backwards and I need it facing the other way. I can’t figure out what to do? @swatski

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know what to do about this? The tab bracket was sent backwards and I need it facing the other way. I can’t figure out what to do? @swatski
The easiest way is to power them up and when extended/deployed - just turn the mounting bracket/piston, you will not hurt thing.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe they turn without being powered on. I ran into that issue at first too. I think they need to tell others about that. At first I didn't think it fit until you figure out it can be turned.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe they turn without being powered on. I ran into that issue at first too. I think they need to tell others about that. At first I didn't think it fit until you figure out it can be turned.
You are correct. But - extending the pistons makes it a lot easier.
Mine seemed frozen (I'm sure they were not), I called Dan from Lectrotabs, he said if hard to turn - power them up and that makes it easier.
Any battery will do, if no boat in driveway - a car.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are correct. But - extending the pistons makes it a lot easier.
Mine seemed frozen (I'm sure they were not), I called Dan from Lectrotabs, he said if hard to turn - power them up and that makes it easier.
Any battery will do, if no boat in driveway - a car.

--
Gotcha. Nice to know.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered a set from Russ about a week ago. I also got the auto controller to help smooth out the ride. I know the wife is looking forward to it!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a quick update on the tabs - for anyone who plans on wake surfing.
If you plan on running with the Wake Wedge - which is highly recommended, read on!

A heads up on the wake wedge:
It fits with the trim tabs as those were designed. But there is not a whole lot of room left!

So - if anyone wants the wake wedge AND trim tabs, need to make sure they are installing the short actuators (that is critical if 're planning on running with the wedge).

I posted the trim tab details, so that exact model/order/sizing works.

Here are some crappy pics - trying to show how close it is - (I will post better pics when I get the boat back from the lift):

The wedge is mounted strictly as per template:
upload_2018-5-6_15-16-12.png

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just a quick suggestion @swatski , some people ( including me ) run the ladder pin the other way. Either way is correct, it just gives the wedge a little more room. Mine dented the wedge but once I flipped it around it has been fine.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a quick suggestion @swatski , some people ( including me ) run the ladder pin the other way. Either way is correct, it just gives the wedge a little more room. Mine dented the wedge but once I flipped it around it has been fine.
Good to know, thank you. I had it in the other way at first but changed it so it is easier to pull in and out, especially in the water or lift.
I'll flip it back!

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm considering investing in trim tabs this Spring, but the ghosts of modification's past have come back to roost. I did not consider this when initially selecting a transducer location last year. The transducer is movable, but I'd really rather not. I have 12" of lateral space outboard of the transducer, but would this work for a trim tab?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm considering investing in trim tabs this Spring, but the ghosts of modification's past have come back to roost. I did not consider this when initially selecting a transducer location last year. The transducer is movable, but I'd really rather not. I have 12" of lateral space outboard of the transducer, but would this work for a trim tab?

Absolutely!

What we have figured out works very well for the 24' boats, 9" (chord) x 16" (span/width), where 16" is about the max that will fit without shimming the transom etc.
And yes, 9" chord x 12" span (instead of 16") will be plenty!

Post #110 has the invoice for lectrotabs:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/lectrotab-trim-tabs.71/page-6#post-269907
Make sure you get the short actuator, saves a lot of headaches and is completely adequate.
Call them to chat, they are great!

--

Ed Miranda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with Swatki.

What I found that helped and confirmed the right size/space is making a mock up of the tabs out of cardboard - exactly to the size and shape you need. I can't recall but I believe I was able to call the lectro-tab (or on their website even) print out a template for the tabs you want to be 100% sure that you get the right size. Stick them on with tape and make sure there are no obstructions - don't forget to consider the trailer hold-down straps - the edge of my tabs are less than an inch away from the straps when on the trailer and strapped up - any bigger tab or if I don't pull the boat ALL the way up on the trailer and I can't strap.

Also - that transducer doesn't look too terrible to reposition if you really needed to. I rather have a transducer in not the best of places vs sacrificing the best position for tabs.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Ed Miranda!
Definitely consider the tie downs, there is little room for error, lol, and we spent ridiculous amount of time fiddling with that whole project and design but it was worth it.
upload_2019-1-4_15-39-33.png

--

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree with @Ed Miranda!
Definitely consider the tie downs, there is little room for error, lol, and we spent ridiculous amount of time fiddling with that whole project and design but it was worth it.
View attachment 86268

--
Swatski, which tabs did you buy your set up looks great, are they self leveling or do you have to manually control them?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski, which tabs did you buy your set up looks great, are they self leveling or do you have to manually control them?
Here is the invoice:
Post #110 has the invoice for lectrotabs:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/lectrotab-trim-tabs.71/page-6#post-269907

I think the consensus is to get the manual controller, which I did, which really is kind of a "semi-auto" as it can move both tabs in parallel in opposite directions, super nice. Check out @Mainah writeup on those, he did a lot of testing of the auto.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cool, thanks fellas. I think even with a 12" span I'll be running too close to the tie down, but will mock up with some cardboard. Think I'll end up moving the transducer

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I areee with @swatski and @Ed Miranda Lol, I added a 1/2" closed eye bolt to the trailer tie down point to make sure the twist in the strap does not touch the trim tab. It put the strap back about 1 1/2" at the lower point. And the eye bolt took the twist out of the strap. I also thru bolted the bow stop, on my MFI trailer, so the boat would land in the same spot at each retrieve.
20170629_170828.jpg
20170525_170627.jpg

Last edited: