• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to get reverse down

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those are serious upgrades for the slow speed aspect only.
On plane they are up out of the water but at slower speeds they are submerged, along the same principal as the super fins, the upper surfaces get submerged and really add a lot to the slow speed handling on the 19 foot boats without adding too much influence at high speed. So I believe these will really impress you, They bolt on an about 2 minutes.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok good

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the comment on flemishing the working ends of the docklines. Willow started doing it, and I quickly adopted the technique. It is 2nd nature now. It is better stepping on a coil than slipping on a loose end.
Coiling the end is how I was taught to do it by my dad - I think military beats a little bit of order into one's life. Didn't know it was called flemishing. I just call it "tidy lines".
:D

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I take it there's still no option for the lateral thruster device for the 2020 SX190? I guess it kind of has a wanna-be version built into it the rudder already.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you order the top fangs also?
I bought the AK-19 kit for my 2020 AR190. Should I also buy the “top fangs?” If it will give me even more slow speed maneuverability I will buy them now. Do they bolt right on to the AK-19 fins?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The system that @lokart just mentioned is a special design and it produces the best slow speed reverse and forward steering as well as serious high speed steering with a power steering effect and a plaining surface without going below the rudder it is a special system for the 19 foot boats only. The other system that has large fins and a plaining surface is the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe system this is the most popular one for those boats that system does not have fangs available for it but it is spring loaded and adjustable where the viper is not.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'll be heading out for my maiden voyage tomorrow, and I'll be solo. Where do you put your dock lines? The bow and stern, or do you use the middle one too? (212SE) Thanks!
@RobbieO ..... also google the use of setting-up "spring lines" @212s has shown you the basics of this but there are great online tutorials. also if your boat is left in the water where it might be jostled by waves/wakes look at "snubbers" for your dock lines. :cool:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@RobbieO ..... also google the use of setting-up "spring lines" @212s has shown you the basics of this but there are great online tutorials. also if your boat is left in the water where it might be jostled by waves/wakes look at "snubbers" for your dock lines. :cool:
Using snubbers will save your dock lines from chafing at the cleat, due to wave action. We use snubbers on 3 dock lines, not the spring lines to tie up the Beneteau. It depends on the marina. Never needed them with the Yamaha in protected Malletts bay, however Burlington Harbor is exposed and we went thru a new set of yachtbraid docklines in the first month there. Now we use snubbers and chaffe guards at the fairleads on our 3-strand dock lines. They make a big difference.

20210303_150143.jpg

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Using snubbers will save your dock lines from chafing at the cleat, due to wave action. We use snubbers on 3 dock lines, not the spring lines to tie up the Beneteau. It depends on the marina. Never needed them with the Yamaha in protected Malletts bay, however Burlington Harbor is exposed and we went thru a new set of docklines in the first month there. Now we use snubbers and chaffe guards on our dock lines. They make a big difference.

View attachment 143418
@zipper as well as anti-chafing the snubbers are also primarily shock absorbers that are fascinating to watch in action as they stretch and contract to counter-act wave or wake action. :cool:

Last edited:

SamAR195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This was the first weekend out with the Cobra Jet Ak-19 super deluxe installed and I couldn’t believe the extreme steering improvement at all speeds. Reverse felt just like a car as soon as I pushed off the dock. Low speed steering was instantaneous. I learned to drive my boat for a year but I wish I put this on sooner. Best mod hands down and huge confidence builder.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was the first weekend out with the Cobra Jet Ak-19 super deluxe installed and I couldn’t believe the extreme steering improvement at all speeds. Reverse felt just like a car as soon as I pushed off the dock. Low speed steering was instantaneous. I learned to drive my boat for a year but I wish I put this on sooner. Best mod hands down and huge confidence builder.
Great to hear. Can't wait to get mine installed and tested!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How did you like the hole shot and the high speed tracking even when you rapidly decelerate?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I take it there's still no option for the lateral thruster device for the 2020 SX190? I guess it kind of has a wanna-be version built into it the rudder already.
JetboatPilot is working on a new version of the lateral thrusters for 20-21 boats. Some time in 2022.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
New Yamaha SX190 owner. Having trouble with reverse drive. I know it's me, but there doesn't seem to be much if any control in reverse. Especially when turning starboard. Seem to have more control when turning port. Anyone else notice this? I guess no one makes any attachments for the 2019 up?
I can relate. I tried to dock with one engine yesterday, and yes, reverse was a joke. However, with 2, it was much better. doable. Hopefully if you get the CJS system, it will work out better for you. I thought my boat handled great at all speeds, especially on plane. I may opt for the Thrust Vectors. I'm not crazy about the CJS setup. Especially the second tie rod. But that's just me, being a lifelong mechanic, I like equal working angles. Good luck with the CJS system, I hear great things about it.

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
JetboatPilot is working on a new version of the lateral thrusters for 20-21 boats. Some time in 2022.
Can't wait for those to come out. Wondering how it will bolt on with the "little" side thrust ports already built into the 20-21.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Can't wait for those to come out. Wondering how it will bolt on with the "little" side thrust ports already built into the 20-21.
I was looking today and really couldn't tell where the side thrust ports were. I'll have to look again. Like I said, reverse is not so bad with the twin engines.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
New boats have factory lateral thrusters - how are these different or better?
The boat seems to handle pretty good in reverse. I doubt I would add the reverse thrusters