• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ultranautics Jetstar - Starting problems

JDaws27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Is there certain sizes or types of new carbs that I can google for a price check? Thanks for all the help!

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Jetstar last summer and it was sitting for quite a bit prior to me buying it. It starts and runs and I used it all last summer but I noticed 2 things. First, if there are 2 people in it, it has a very hard time planing out, any more weight and it can't. Second, there is a lot of smoke that comes out when it runs (I am assuming that it is running too rich?). I mix it 50:1. It is a 1989 Jetstar 1250. I saw the posted owners manual (thank you for that) but I didn't know if it mattered the difference in years or if they are using the same motors? I also have to put the boat in fast idle to keep it from turning off while idling. From there I have to quickly shift into gear or it will turn off. I haven't touched the carbs at all. The previous owner changed the gas tank to a jerry can style and there are no issues with the lines or tank. Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated!
as far as the 50:1 my owners manual says 40:1 so some of the smoke will come from that any way. my wife`s smokes a little (89) also,but that engine is spanking new NOS with less than 50 hours on it. plus like bronze said you may have to rebuild the carbs. who knows what crap the last owners have had through those gas lines. 1st thing i did when i rebuilt my wife`s Jet-star 1250 was pull the tank and replace all the fuel lines, look back on some of my post and see the crap that came out of the tank.

as far as the tank being a jerry can ummmm. find a 12 gal tank..the fuel tank it came with a 12 gal from the factory, most boat junk yards will havem cheap. or a new tank is around $100.00 and replace all the fuel line and filter/s that way you know what you got. and maybe all you have to do is drain the bowels on the carbs and blow them with air. you can also have trash on your fuel pump?

remember 90% of all boat engine problems is fuel related. 5% is spark issues the other 5% is operator head space and timing.:)

geter done
post some pics of boat if you can

Tom

Last edited:

JDaws27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
I am going to look at the carbs and then move to the fuel tank and lines! Thanks to everyone for the help! Here is a pic of it in the water after I put a nice new coat of paint on it!B9DA44BE-AB1F-4897-AC45-396F86D980E7.jpeg

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
heck yea looking good

JDaws27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Anybody know what parts I would need to take apart the carbs and clean them? Also where to get them would be great! Was told I would need gaskets but I'm not sure where I could get them. Also, if possible, any idea where/how much a new carb would be?

YOOPER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Anybody know what parts I would need to take apart the carbs and clean them? Also where to get them would be great! Was told I would need gaskets but I'm not sure where I could get them. Also, if possible, any idea where/how much a new carb would be?
For the Suzuki or Mercury Motor (90hp)?

John Byers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
need cdi info on suzuki my motor has no spark.Stored many years decided to get it ready for grandson. everything works electrically just not spark?? any suggestions or sources for ignition parts??