• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VW's "clean" diesel?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I (finally!) hooked a used Q7 TDI. :)
It's on the hook... not yet landed... as the guy just doesn't know if he is coming or going, but we are sooo close. I don't really blame him, it has got to be the weirdest market right now. I have wanted one like forever, and I don't see how waiting any longer is going to get me any closer to buying one. The 2016/17s have many improvements, but we may not see another TDI import here for awhile, if ever, and the new ones would be priced out of this orbit anyhow.

23,000 miles on the clock, that thing is practically new... Hope it will not turn out to be the biggest financial mistake, but I want/need a new tow pig anyway, so one way or the other - I want that thing.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With no "fix" in sight and who knows how long it will take to see any money from VW, I'm thinking about opting out of the class action suit. We have until next Friday to make the decision.
@jeremy0011 curious about this. I just signed up for the buyback. Did you sign up for the suit? How does that affect settlement? Will the class action take longer than the buyback? I use my 2.0 as a company vehicle for my recycle company, so I want to get out of this car asap.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@djetok if you want out register for the buy back I expect this to be the fastest method out. I have a 2015 Passat TDI and a 2012 Audi A3 tdi both are registered for the buyback I'm just assuming all other methods will take longer.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks

i did that already. i removed the wrap off the car. i did get my packet a while back. he was saying 7 days so thats what raised my curiousity.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you want to sell the car back the fastest way is the buy back. Just know they are only giving you trade in value for the car. I want to keep my car but with no fix approved I'm not sure that the car will be acceptable after the fix. If I don't opt out buy Friday then I'm agreeing to whatever fix they want to dump on me. For all I know the car could have 100 less hp and get 10mpg. After Friday I'll have no say in what I get. My only option is to opt out and join hundreds of others who want to know what we are agreeing too before we agree. I think as is this deal is heavily in VW's favor.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you currently own the vehicle you actually have till 2018 to decide so do not opt out now. The September 16 date your thinking of is for prior owners to register after that they can no longer make any claims. If I were you I just wouldn't do anything don't opt out and don't sign up either and in 2018 if you want to take an action you can if you don't you don't have to.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want to sell the car back the fastest way is the buy back. Just know they are only giving you trade in value for the car. I want to keep my car but with no fix approved I'm not sure that the car will be acceptable after the fix. If I don't opt out buy Friday then I'm agreeing to whatever fix they want to dump on me. For all I know the car could have 100 less hp and get 10mpg. After Friday I'll have no say in what I get. My only option is to opt out and join hundreds of others who want to know what we are agreeing too before we agree. I think as is this deal is heavily in VW's favor.
They are giving nada trade from sept 15. Most dealers while trading in cars do not use NADA to value your car. The will however use NADA to sell you a car or for financing. Typically, they use a wholesale book, or "Black book" to value your car. This book is based off of auction numbers and is substantially lower than NADA. I am to get back 6000 in check and 17000 in car value. I only paid 23000 for the car, minus tt&l, wrap, and services. I drove the car 50k miles. I am ok with that , but i removed the wrap with anticipation of inspection and am now ready to put my sales guy in another car.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Friday September 16th 2016 is the deadline to opt out. VW doesn't want you to know that.
Actually what @robert843 is telling you is correct. The deadline is for registration, if you don't declare what you want to do by sept 16 you can still elect a buy back at a later day for the next two years, albeit the process would be different and they tell you that you will need to contact VW directly.

I also think your statement about trade-in value misses the point that the buy back valuations are actually generous and exceed conventional dealer trade ins by a large margin, as pointed out by @djetok. Not to mention you are getting a few thousand dollars of compensation on top.

I'm not a VW apologist, and not happy with the whole mess to say the least, but let's stick with simple math and try to avoid spreading misinformation here in the forum.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you think the deal is a good one then you should take it. If I take the buy back option I'll be out 10k and no car. I don't want to spread bad infromation but all of the sources I have checked agree the 16th is the day to opt out. I would rather everyone be aware about the difference of opinion on the date and make their own decision.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is NOT an opinion. It is a court order. They (VW) have no wiggle room.

But whatever. I am frustrated as well, so I understand.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Friday September 16th 2016 is the deadline to opt out. VW doesn't want you to know that.
We each need to do what we think is best for ourselves. You have your reasons, and I have mine. I know that the government has rolled all the thousands of separate suits into one, with 22 lawyers representing one now. My fear to go for more than the buy back, which as a business I promote recycling. I believe I could go for more, but I would also be paying lawyers to do so, and my time as well. I removed a 3000 dollar wrap on the vehicle so I lost that as well. I personally will take the easy money, the depreciation, the advertising cost allocated to it and the mileage and be happy.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you think the deal is a good one then you should take it. If I take the buy back option I'll be out 10k and no car. I don't want to spread bad infromation but all of the sources I have checked agree the 16th is the day to opt out. I would rather everyone be aware about the difference of opinion on the date and make their own decision.
I have to ask if its ok but I do understand if you would prefer not answer this question. How would you be out 10K if you took the buy back surely the buy back offer is more then your car is currently worth?

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I paid 34 for the car and they are offering 24 to buy it back. So now they will have 10k of my money and my car. Sounds like a great deal for VW. Keep in mind they will fix and resell most of the cars for another profit. I'm not sure how any of this deal hurts VW. Except for the 2 billion that the Feds get to keep for who knows what.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you currently own the vehicle you actually have till 2018 to decide so do not opt out now. The September 16 date your thinking of is for prior owners to register after that they can no longer make any claims. If I were you I just wouldn't do anything don't opt out and don't sign up either and in 2018 if you want to take an action you can if you don't you don't have to.
Just want to clarify I called 3 different attorneys in 3 different states today all confirm this Friday is the last day to opt out of the class action case. If you don't opt out you will have until 2018 to decide which of the 2 options you want, buy back or fix. As is neither one is a good option for me.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeremy0011 I feel you and I understand your feeling a little ripped off on the deal and you are not the only one I have heard from others that feel that way. As you mentioned earlier if you don't feel the deal is fair to you I agree with you to pursue other actions. That being said VW is losing on this deal even in your case as well if you took the buy back. I will use my two cars as examples as I do not know the full details on yours. I do agree VW is not going to take anywhere near the 10 billion dollar hit you keep hearing about in the news though with resales but I also promise you VW will not make one cent of profit on the resales either. So my 2015 Passat SE tdi has a current retail value of around $18,000. The total amount being spent on the buyback by VW on that car is $27,857. Once they buy it back the will have to fix it I will be very conservative here and guess around 3K but this is a fraction of the amount I have heard it will cost. When they go to have dealer resell it the dealers are not going to do it for free and they will likely be buying the cars back from VW at trade in value which on this car is around 15k. So VW's cost on this car with repair is $30,857 and they only recoup $15,000 so that is a loss of $15,857 on this one to VW. My 2012 Audi A3 current retail value $17,500. VW Buy Back cost $28,757 + 3k repair= $31,757 - current trade value $14,700= $17,057 VW loss. Just a guess on your car I'm assuming it a 2013 Passat SEL with about 75,000 mile s based on the the buyback amount you gave. Current retail value $15,875. VW Buy Back Cost $24,000 + $3000 repair = $27,000 - $13,075 current trade in value = $13,925 VW loss.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I doubt the fix of my Passat is much more than a software update. Remember all of the cars are capable of passing the test. They will just leave the emissions controls on and give up the performance and fuel economy. I do however agree with your math but the bottom line is they sold me a lie for $34,000 and are offering me $24,000 to get out of it.

Say you bought a new refrigerator and months later you find out that the company knew they were selling bad products that were harming those who bought them. Wouldn't you expect to get all of your money back so that you can give it to a company that follows the rules? Otherwise your still rewarding the bad behavior. They not only cheated us out of our money but they cheated other auto manufacturers out of sales.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
with the 2.0 the loss is 15 billion dollars will they try to rexoup those losses ? Sure, but a tdi diesel for sale in europe or south / central america is not going to have the value as in north america. Minus transport of 300000 vehicles + thats just 1000 + bugattis or lamborghinis to sell (gross)

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
VW made 12.3 billion net profit in 2014 alone. With the buy back option they are keeping 30% of my money. They can afford to give us all of our money back. And all of the low mileage cars will be repaired and resold right here in the US no shipping required.