• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VW's "clean" diesel?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
VW made 12.3 billion net profit in 2014 alone. With the buy back option they are keeping 30% of my money. They can afford to give us all of our money back. And all of the low mileage cars will be repaired and resold right here in the US no shipping required.
per the doj they are not to be sold in the us

also vw is the largest auto mfg in the world owning many different companies. I am happy to get back what i am. i understand your situatio. is different than mine. Like my business partner before i got involved with him. He spent 150k to get 75k in law suits thats bad business. He did it for spite. I simply dont attach myself to those impulses and work through things more calculated.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I doubt the fix of my Passat is much more than a software update. Remember all of the cars are capable of passing the test. They will just leave the emissions controls on and give up the performance and fuel economy. I do however agree with your math but the bottom line is they sold me a lie for $34,000 and are offering me $24,000 to get out of it.

Say you bought a new refrigerator and months later you find out that the company knew they were selling bad products that were harming those who bought them. Wouldn't you expect to get all of your money back so that you can give it to a company that follows the rules? Otherwise your still rewarding the bad behavior. They not only cheated us out of our money but they cheated other auto manufacturers out of sales.
I def understand your feelings on this and don't blame you for going that path. If I lived in one of the few states that didn't allow arbitration agreements on cars I would possibly follow a similar path but with an arbitration agreement on the car purchase it would take likely 3-7 years before I saw anything so I'm not willing to wait that long

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
per the doj they are not to be sold in the us

In the new preliminary approved court doc this has changed. The original stuff I saw said they could not be resold in the US as well but now the wording says they cannot be resold in the US until they are fixed. The original stuff I saw had VW basically scrapping all the cars as it wasn't worth it to ship them to another country to be sold but this has since changed.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They actually aren't allowed to send them to another country for resell. They fix and sell here, or scrap. From my understanding, it's really gonna be up to dealers. The dealer where the car is actually bought back has first "dibs". If they decline, it's offered up to all dealers. If declined again, it's getting crushed.

As of now, dealers are also getting cars bought back (when the time comes). They are being offered the NADA 9/15 value - no incentive (I haven't seen this in writing, but I've been told that from 3 different dealers I've tried to buy TDI's from this month). Which begs the question, what are they going to be offered the cars to purchase for? Certainly not that same value, they'll all be crushed for sure. After "payday", I have every intention of buying a couple more - even if it comes down to salvage cars I have to rebuild. There simply is nothing else that compares.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek I agree I may buy another after the buy backs and the market starts to fall on them. I had really almost considered keeping my A3 as they really didn't ship many to the states only about 3-4K per year for four years so if cars do start getting crushed for any reason the market on those could actually go the other way.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I paid 34 for the car and they are offering 24 to buy it back. So now they will have 10k of my money and my car. Sounds like a great deal for VW. Keep in mind they will fix and resell most of the cars for another profit. I'm not sure how any of this deal hurts VW. Except for the 2 billion that the Feds get to keep for who knows what.
Lets face it: all the frustrations notwithstanding, you would never be offered 24k cash for your current VW car (in Fall of 2016) was it not for the emissions scandal.
With the Sept 2015 based valuation used for the buy back program and a ~5-6k cash compensation you are being offered on top of it, you are coming to at least $10k over what your car would be valued under "normal" circumstances (was it not for the emissions fiasco).

In other words:
You are making money. You can go and buy yourself a different car.
Can we at least be honest here, and agree on the fact that you ARE coming ahead financially big time on this buy back deal?

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lets face it: all the frustrations notwithstanding, you would never be offered 24k cash for your current VW car (in Fall of 2016) was it not for the emissions scandal.
With the Sept 2015 based valuation used for the buy back program and a ~5-6k cash compensation you are being offered on top of it, you are coming to at least $10k over what your car would be valued under "normal" circumstances (was it not for the emissions fiasco).

In other words:
You are making money. You can go and buy yourself a different car.
Can we at least be honest here, and agree on the fact that you ARE coming ahead financially big time on this buy back deal?
If the car was for sale yes I would be better off. The problem is I drive my cars forever and never take a loss when selling the cars after only a few years of ownership. I bought this car new and plan on putting 300k or more miles on it. Now what your telling me is I should be glad to take the 24 and buy another used unknown car. I don't like doing that because I usually end up with someone else's problems. If they were honest I would never have bought the car and would have given my money to another car manufacturer. Nomatter how you slice it VW still cheated us out of our money and at the end of the day keeping 30% of money they stole is wrong.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would certainly be a better deal if not only they gave us the buy back option, but also offered to sell us a new replacement vehicle at factory cost!
Yes. And provide free gas/ fuel for the lifetime of the replacement.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the car was for sale yes I would be better off. The problem is I drive my cars forever and never take a loss when selling the cars after only a few years of ownership. I bought this car new and plan on putting 300k or more miles on it. Now what your telling me is I should be glad to take the 24 and buy another used unknown car. I don't like doing that because I usually end up with someone else's problems. If they were honest I would never have bought the car and would have given my money to another car manufacturer. Nomatter how you slice it VW still cheated us out of our money and at the end of the day keeping 30% of money they stole is wrong.
Well, yes. Your car is basically getting stolen. Or totaled. No, never happened to me either.

But my point is - I am glad I am being compensated at the level that is unprecedented in automotive industry.

And let's face it -- the arrogant morons that the VW appear to be, those TDI's cheating and all are still about the cleanest running diesels out there. ( I load my three kids on school buses daily, which run diesel engines :eek:). That fact bothers me more than anything else about the whole affair.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And you think this would stop people from suing for more?
I've not mentioned anything about lawsuits in this comment.

Simply saying that VW would be looked on much more favorably if they offered a "no/low-profit" new vehicle option to all these owners who's depreciation has increased due to the blatant lying and cheating they've been up to. There are factory invoice and dealer invoice numbers that are way below MSRP. Someone like Jeremy who planned to spread that depreciation over 10 years (like I do) this forces us to eat the depreciation over fewer years. The buy back option does not eliminate the higher depreciation loss up front. So the only other way they could "compensate" us for this (without losing money--but yes dropping profit) would be to offer a replacement at their cost (or cost +500 etc).

And yes...they COULD make you sign a release if you did this.....as I'm sure the buy back option will have....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good points, of course, and I deleted my snarky comment.

But...

Who are we kidding? (Moralizing comments about the VW quandary can be funny, actually). At the end of the day, besides the scheme being moronic, the main reason VW found themselves in this predicament is they make an engine (TDI) that has no domestic competition... RAM/jeep ecodiesel being made by vm/fiat.

In my mind, it would be nice to hold everybody to the same emissions standards. Before deciding which polluters to eliminate, if that is the goal.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow just saw that only 3300 of the 470,000 diesel owner opted out that an impressively low number I did expect to see a lot more then that. I'm still waiting to see if there will be a way for us who didn't own the cars at the time the scandal broke will actually be able to see if the original owner filed to get their part of the claim. I don't expect to get that money as I'm sure most old owners did file but if mine didn't that would be another unexpected 7k coming to me which would be great. With that low of a number I do feel pretty confident this deal will get full approval on the 16th. Looks like the dealers made out as well at 1.8 million per dealer in compensation.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to try and snag one of the Porsche ones up before they get started

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm curious. I have an affected TDI Passat. Docs reviewed. Just waiting for the email on eligibility and offer. Who has gotten to that point and/or has already scheduled the turn in date? It's past the "10 day" they stated they would have a response by.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard of a few people with confirmed turn in dates. I know one member here who has one in the first week of December. I docs just turned to reviewed back on Monday so I got probably another 6-7 business days before I hear back. Depending on how they are counting those days. The people I have heard from that got their offer notarized and put back in the portal said the turn around on setting the return date happened with in a few days from that point. The earliest actual return date I have seen scheduled so far is 11/29