• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VW's "clean" diesel?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know what in the world I'll replace em with, and noone is a bigger tdi fanboy than I, but I'm planning on taking my 62k check and running November 1st. And then waiting to see if they are gonna buyback my 3.0L as well.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know what in the world I'll replace em with, and noone is a bigger tdi fanboy than I, but I'm planning on taking my 62k check and running November 1st. And then waiting to see if they are gonna buyback my 3.0L as well.
They are working on that one. I think with a 15 billion dollar hit, they might be stretching it out lol. I don't know what I'm gonna do with my wifes audi either.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@billyb , you seem like you've found more info on this than I. I've seen mention of less money for cars purchased after the September date, and maybe even less for vehicles bought after June 28th. Have you seen any specifics on this?
the sept 15th date is the dividing line for the cash pay out, so if you sold the car on sept 16th you get the cash and they buyer gets the buyout.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the sept 15th date is the dividing line for the cash pay out
Correct, for the 2.0l TDI. However, you can keep your car until "modifications" are/are not approved and then still opt for a full buyout option. You will just have to go through a slightly more involved process, which closes in mid-2018.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if the brand will be damaged forever by this, or if people have such short memories nowadays it won't matter.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm waiting to see what happens with my Audi Q7 TDI.....if the offer is good....I may have to take it rather than risk the extra depreciation resulting from a 3.0L scandal....
That would be a wise move. . . . In the event memories aren't as short as we may think.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so just filled my claim today on my Audi A3 I didn't own it at the time the scandal broke so I get half the cash pay out and the trade in value of the car as of the date the scandal broke but did find out today if the owner of the car at the time the scandal broke doesn't file a claim I get their half of the cash pay out as well Not sure if there is a way to tell if they filed the claim or not though.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm wondering when the bottom of the depreciation hit is. I'd love to jump into a used Touareg TDI or a Passat with the "Fix" and then delete the fix.
1-Wait until people that took the repair option are pissed at the MPG hit and dump it?
2-get it now before the final solution is seen and it isn't as bad as everyone expected so the desirability/values come back up?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I snagged my touareg for 20k a month ago. Had no need for it, just couldn't pass it up at the price.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm wondering when the bottom of the depreciation hit is. I'd love to jump into a used Touareg TDI or a Passat with the "Fix" and then delete the fix.
1-Wait until people that took the repair option are pissed at the MPG hit and dump it?
2-get it now before the final solution is seen and it isn't as bad as everyone expected so the desirability/values come back up?
The passatts you have probably already missed the window on. Pricing right now for them is higher then book value and I imagine once 60-80% of them get turned in over the next 2 years that value will stay because they will be rare after that. Toureg on other hand may still be at a low I really have not shopped them though.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got to watch some internal VW videos yesterday, they seem pretty confident in a fix being approved. Once the cars are bought back at the dealer, the dealer will have the option to buy them (for likely pennies on the dollar). Regardless, all cars will be fixed as soon as bought back. That dealer can purchase, or they'll be offered up to other dealers, but they are getting sold again one way or another. *If* a fix is approved, which I'm still skeptical of.

Still waiting to hear news of a 3.0L buyback... Or some news of any kind on those.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got to watch some internal VW videos yesterday, they seem pretty confident in a fix being approved. Once the cars are bought back at the dealer, the dealer will have the option to buy them (for likely pennies on the dollar). Regardless, all cars will be fixed as soon as bought back. That dealer can purchase, or they'll be offered up to other dealers, but they are getting sold again one way or another. *If* a fix is approved, which I'm still skeptical of.

Still waiting to hear news of a 3.0L buyback... Or some news of any kind on those.
I had read an article that said that the vehicles bought back could not be resold in the US but apparently that article was wrong. According to the court doc they can be resold once a emissions mod has been done. If that's the case you may see a flood of these come back to market. I still don't think you will see any 2012 or older models come back from everything I have read those models are going to cost more to repair then the cars are worth. In 2013 they added something to the car that should make it much easier to fix.

4.4.3. Disposition of Returned Vehicles. As set forth more fully in Appendix A to the DOJ Consent Decree, Eligible Vehicles bought back by or returned to Volkswagen must be rendered inoperable by removing the vehicles’ Engine Control Unit and may be, to the extent possible, recycled to the extent permitted by law. No such Eligible Vehicle that is rendered inoperable may subsequently be rendered operable until it has first received an Approved Emissions Modification. After modifying a bought-back or returned Eligible Vehicle in accordance with an Approved Emissions Modification, Volkswagen may then elect to (i) resell the bought-back or returned Eligible Vehicles in the United States, if properly labeled to disclose the Approved Emissions Modification, or (ii) export the bought-back or returned Eligible Vehicles.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like if I take the "Fix" and cash they will pay out 1 week after the buyback starts. Is that the way you guys see it? I was thinking that I would not get anything until they apply the "Fix".

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I snagged my touareg for 20k a month ago. Had no need for it, just couldn't pass it up at the price.
Let me know if you come across any Q7s. I'm shopping.

Need a 3-row, unfortunately. Almost got a T-reg just before it all broke out, just couldn't get myself to pay what they wanted for the Q7. And they used to be so arrogant, f@kers. But I LOVE those TDI SUVs.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like if I take the "Fix" and cash they will pay out 1 week after the buyback starts. Is that the way you guys see it? I was thinking that I would not get anything until they apply the "Fix".
No sir. It lists that as the date in the claims portal, but you won't get paid until after the fix. The video I watched said it would be electronically deposited within a week after the repairs were performed. Again, assuming a repair is approved.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's what I was afraid of. I want the fix so I can move on with the mods. I guess in 2 years I'll just sell it back to them with another 60k on the clock.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With no "fix" in sight and who knows how long it will take to see any money from VW, I'm thinking about opting out of the class action suit. We have until next Friday to make the decision.