• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Booster

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This sounds like an excellent opportunity for the wake wedge to receive a price reduction... to the $500 range....

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This sounds like an excellent opportunity for the wake wedge to receive a price reduction... to the $500 range....
Yes I purchased the port side wedge last year before there was a universal one. Now I’ll have to spend even more to get a universal and stuck with the port side one.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, I am glad to see other options in the marketplace. Competition is a good thing and hopefully will drive down prices. Interested to see what Jetboatpilot is working on too!

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The whole idea of some device that clamps on or clips on or bolts on is not rocket science. The concept is out there. Competition will bring more devices which is great, and naturally cause prices to be more competitive. I’d sure rather clamp on a wake booster than add 1k more # of ballast to my transom.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The whole idea of some device that clamps on or clips on or bolts on is not rocket science.
Correct! But to make it work/do what you want it to do is a completely different story!!!

I’d sure rather clamp on a wake booster than add 1k more # of ballast to my transom.
Sure, if it produces similarly good results, all else being equal. But - will it? I do not see this in the Booster videos I've watched...

What we know is that pushing the stern down and listing it is pretty much required to produce a surfable wave behind a Yamaha.

To substitute for transom ballast Wake Booster would need to work, at least in part, similar to the Malibu Power Wedge. The strain on the U-bolt attachment would be very significant. Those U-bolts are not enforced in my boat..., maybe they started doing it now. Definitely something to think about.

--

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What kind of boat do you have? I wonder if they started reinforcing them lately or in the x series boats in anticipation of the booster. I’ll have to look.

A wake wedge would be really nice on our boats. Maybe the booster with 1000k# of ballast on the transom would really do the trick.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of boat do you have? I wonder if they started reinforcing them lately or in the x series boats in anticipation of the booster. I’ll have to look.

A wake wedge would be really nice on our boats. Maybe the booster with 1000k# of ballast on the transom would really do the trick.
Mine is a 2016 AR240. Here is some discussion of those tie down U-bolts, are some pics, post#28 and below https://jetboaters.net/threads/is-there-any-good-vids-or-pics-showing-how-to-lengthen-tubing-ropes.18380/page-2#post-316882

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Just forwarding along what my dealer just told me... Their Yamaha rep told them these won't be readily available until January. At first they must be ordered in combination with the dealers new boat orders so they intend to order the booster accessory package for every Yamaha boat they order knowing they will sell some separately through their parts department and some in combination with new boat sales.

The belief is eventually dealers will probably be able to order the Booster package separately (without being tied to new boat orders) and perhaps eventually just the Booster itself without the surfboard and rope package, but that is probably a year or two down the road...

I'm hoping to get one of the first ones to compare and contrast between the Wake Wedges I have as well as what varying degrees of ballast options do for it. There are many times out on the lake or at the beach that I want way less hassles of switching from regular to goofy and not having to fill additional bags and stepping over them on the swim plat form for just a quick surfable wave. I get it that the Booster may not appear to create as "big a wave" as the Wake Wedge with zero ballast, but it's TBD what it will do in combination with some or a lot of ballast or what kind of pocket and push it generates.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From what I can see the trim tab could be an issue. It depends on how far inboard your tabs are. The booster is about 28 inches wide and its sort of curved. It extends from the edge of the hull inward following a curved arch. Overall length installed from outside edge to inside edge I'd guess to be 20 inches or so.
Great point. I have tabs and was considering both the wedge and booster as options. I don’t think the booster with fit with tabs. Even if it does the actuator and tab may impact the performance of the booster.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm curious to know why Yamaha only shows and points out what it can do with no ballast. Why not actually show what it can do with the stock ballast setup on one of the wake models.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm curious to know why Yamaha only shows and points out what it can do with no ballast. Why not actually show what it can do with the stock ballast setup on one of the wake models.
Exactly. That made me think. Factory ballast does not change the boat's attitude for best wake, still need the swim deck bag - which is critical.
Maybe Booster works akin to the Malibu Power Wedge?

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah this is suspect to me. In your new boat release promos don't you show the best your boat can do to an extreme, even stretch the truth with camera angles and expert surfers? So then why did Yamaha promo the wake booster on boats that have ballast but leave the ballast empty. Makes me think it isn't any better with ballast and they wanted to leave room for people to think that it would improve with ballast by not showing it didn't. Not trying to create a conspiracy out of this but makes me go hmmmm...

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you guys 100% sure the Boat wasn’t ballasted up? If it wasn’t then I would take a wake booster package right now to run on my 242 that doesn’t have any ballast.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the demo came with the caveat of no ballast but a bunch of people were on board

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Options for in addition to factory ballast:
During our Bimini trip this year I learned I could stuff 2 cases of water and 2 cases of Power aid behind each of the rear facing seats. So last weekend I played around with putting these small 150 lb sacks inside each of the rear facing seats. Quite convenient and out of the way and definitely helped the factory ballast, but obviously not as good as having an 800 lb sack on the read deck. But Wow in addition to the 800 lb sack along with all the factory ballast with just two people in the boat was awesome. These allow you to to try different combinations of listing the boat with weight on just one side or filling both sides of these small bags and using the larger factory ballast bag to list the boat seemed to work best...

150 lb bag.png 150 bag behind seat.jpg

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Maybe they left off anything about the ballast because they are trying to sell to non-x model owners too. Who knows.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
During our Bimini trip this year I learned I could stuff 2 cases of water and 2 cases of Power aid behind each of the rear facing seats. So last weekend I played around with putting these small 150 lb sacks inside each of the rear facing seats. Quite convenient and out of the way and definitely helped the factory ballast, but obviously not as good as having an 800 lb sack on the read deck. But Wow in addition to the 800 lb sack along with all the factory ballast with just two people in the boat was awesome. These allow you to to try different combinations of listing the boat with weight on just one side or filling both sides of these small bags and using the larger factory ballast bag to list the boat seemed to work best...

View attachment 82043 View attachment 82044
Then I'd have to find somewhere else to stuff 8 wet life jackets.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Then I'd have to find somewhere else to stuff 8 wet life jackets.
Once you drain them, takes about 2 minutes each, I bet they'd fit again...

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
During our Bimini trip this year I learned I could stuff 2 cases of water and 2 cases of Power aid behind each of the rear facing seats. So last weekend I played around with putting these small 150 lb sacks inside each of the rear facing seats. Quite convenient and out of the way and definitely helped the factory ballast, but obviously not as good as having an 800 lb sack on the read deck. But Wow in addition to the 800 lb sack along with all the factory ballast with just two people in the boat was awesome. These allow you to to try different combinations of listing the boat with weight on just one side or filling both sides of these small bags and using the larger factory ballast bag to list the boat seemed to work best
Bet you could stuff a lot of these in there. 50lbs each!

https://wakeballast.com/wakeballast-50-lb-bag-free-shipping-usa-only/