• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Booster

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I saw it and watched someone surf it! Huge difference over surf point! It easily has 12'-15' ropless surf pocket!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just because a wave curls doesn't mean it is a good wave for surfing. It looks promising but I am with holding judgement until I ride the wave. @Brian eilrich has one order for his 212X and we will test it next spring.
Next spring??? We can’t wait that long. You guys need to move south lol

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank for posting!
I must say I have a feeling this may not be the ultimate surfing mod, and some of the people may be disappointed with this surfing mod...
Now that I've seen several video clips, to me the pocket does not look like something that can push a beginner/or weak surfer (ropeless)

ANother thing that I noticed is this.
There is a very distinct line of spray water coming off of the Booster, on the outside of the device. It may not look like much, but it ruins the surface of the pocket making it a little harder to find a "sweet spot".
View attachment 82177
I also think this could be THE reason this has been tested without ballast... I think that pushing the stern lower/deeper will (likely) make it worse.
This may not be a big detriment for a strong surfer, but someone who is just starting can benefit from a large, smooth sweet spot more than anything else.

I had seen that exact same thing (only way, way worse) when I was testing my little plywood Booster/Scooper/Surf Stream gizmos. Granted in my case it was really bad but the trend was unmistakable - this off-side spray was bigger with ballast and smaller without.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/surfstream-diy-edition-prototyping-in-ar240.16075/#post-276180

EDIT: this post is not meant to be a ding on the whole concept of Yamaha Wake Booster!!!
I think it may work very well for some, but I don;t see this as a breakthrough in surfing behind a Yamaha

Now, those new steering nozzles - that's a different story - WINNER!!! (I think)

--
I agree. Deff better than nothing at all but it looks like the wake wedge prodcuces a cleaner wave for sure. Now if only the wake wedge was cheaper. Yamaha has the upper hand at economies of scale and can sell these things cheaper.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@MattFX4 Not going to argue with you. Moving south is in my plans. But the Wake Booster is not going to be available until February. Our water is really hard at that time.

Jeff Jozwi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I saw it and watched someone surf it! Huge difference over surf point! It easily has 12'-15' ropless surf pocket!
More info please. Was it a 242x or 212x? What was the ballast set-up? Just factory or extra? Thanks.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok I see everyone saying the Wake Wedge needs to be cheaper. Lets put some facts out there. We do this in our off time after hours ( still have day jobs because we are not getting rich ) all summer long to benefit everyone. I am not going to lie and say we don't make any money because if we didn't then why would we do it. BUT we do not make as much on these things as everyone thinks we do. AND we haven't raised the price due to inflation and tariffs costs that have come about this year. We don't own a company that can hide the cost of a wake surf board or wake surf rope into the cost of the boat. We try and help everyone out as much as we can and we are at your disposal 24/7 on the board. We are Yamaha boat owners first. At $500 dollars I would be paying you to take my product. My components are CNC machined in small ( compared to bigger companies) quantities so I can' t get huge price breaks. A wake surf system for inboards are way more then double the cost of our wake wedge.

https://www.wakemakers.com/go-surf-assist-aftermarket-surf-system.html

You may not see the value in our system, and that is fine, but there is no way that I can make our product any cheaper and still give it a warranty. I am in no way singling anyone out I just want it to be known that we work very hard to keep this going and I can not compete with big corporate companies that can buy thousands of items and get price breaks for it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If one can cut, weld, and machine stainless or aluminum then perhaps they should build their own wedge. Being someone that can I have looked into the materials cost to build one myself on top of my time and determined it would be cheaper if I nailed it the first time. The likelyhood of nailing it and not having to spend time making some adjuments is small. Considering that Gatlin aka @jcyamaharider has this dialed in I would just buy it from him.

After taking some measurements for my diy pipe booster I learned two things. One is that there is no way the the yami booster will work with trim tabs. The mounting of the actuator is in the way and the actuator it self would be in the boosted flow of water creating a ton of turbulence.

I am still pushing foward with testing my idea but the pipe will have to be further back meaning my results will liley be mo other than others diy attempts. I went with a 3 inch diameter long sweep pvc 90 meant for electrical work. I don’t want too much stress on the tie down so figure start small and see what it is going to do. I still have to cut some starboard and mount it before I can test. Don’t know what to expect from it but if less than good results I am most certainly buying a wedge and custom bag from @jcyamaharider. Wakeboarding is starting to hurt too much. Especially when you catch the toe edge hard being lazy.... no bounce, no roll, just faceplant thawp at 22 mph. I may have done that yesterday :banghead:

Don’t know if anyone has tried it but I am guessing that the custom swim deck bag could be easily attached in the middle of the swim deck to improve a wakeboard wake? For my sons, not me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 0.02

I think I have tried about as hard as anyone here to make surf mods. In the process, I made friends in local metal yards, a welding outfit, and spent (literally) thousands of $. I made several versions of the wedge knock-off in starboard, aluminum, and SS, also tested at least 4 versions of the "flap" with stall mat, a booster-like gizmo, and many trim tab attachments. Several of those things actually worked, somewhat.
BUT - none as good as the Gatlin Wedge. I don;t know what it is. Be it placement/size/bar angles etc. - I don't know. Devil is always in the details!!!

Bottom line though, it works best of what's out there (especially in combination with the custom swim deck bag). I wish luck to Gatlin competitors, but I do not see much room for improvement with this hull. The Gatlin boys/girls just knocked that thing out of the park, it so happens.

So, to my Dear Fellow Jetboater Friends my advice is this: if you want to surf behind your Yami - get w/Gatlin (the wedge and the bag) - currently the best setup available, with little risk of being outperformed in the near future.
(this is strictly my private and only semi-educated opinion, of course!!!)

--

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
More info please. Was it a 242x or 212x? What was the ballast set-up? Just factory or extra? Thanks.
212X with full factory rear ballast.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 Could you line up a 212X with the Booster and get us some detailed info and video? Thus far Yamaha has me more afraid than enthusiastic about the Wake Booster because of the lack of informative marketing. I feel like they are almost hiding something. And Surf Point didn't help their credibility.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20180721_201059.jpg I've made my own version of the Wake Wedge. Works great after 3 years. No welding required.

Gofish206

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If someone comes across any detailed dimensions or closer photos at different angles id love to fabricate something similar before seasons over. thanks

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
1xxcbi.jpg

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Exactly. My opinion is that wakeboarding magazine could have done a much better job with their review article. Maybe a few pics around the wedge which would be helpful. Also, this is the same magazine that said surf point “surfed really well” back in 2016/2017. So, based on that I can’t really trust their reviews or opinion. They prob don’t want to upset their sponsors. Lame.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just watched, noticed he said "works inherently different from all other systems on the market".

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just watched, noticed he said "works inherently different from all other systems on the market".
Meh - pretty much a carbon copy of the Scarab Surf Stream device IMO, at least in application - I guess the design is a little different but same idea.