• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Booster

JDub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, yes you can at least 1000 lbs.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
THat's what @COtoFLsurf uses. Very handy.
Somehow, I think he gets free shipping... feel for his mailman, lol.
The only thing is - can't dump this ballast when you done.

--
What about a helium filled storage container... patent pending! :D

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about a helium filled storage container... patent pending! :D
That could work!
Sounds like that YamaBooster is full of hot air, already.
:D

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
THat's what @COtoFLsurf uses. Very handy.
Somehow, I think he gets free shipping... feel for his mailman, lol.
The only thing is - can't dump this ballast when you done.

--
You can dump it. You might regret it afterwards, but it can be done.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
speaking of ballast. Stupid!

4A3488B3-84B1-4BBB-9CC4-6B90637317DB.jpeg 9B8CC76F-7A04-4A9F-8AC5-36D6A3812120.jpeg

Jeff Jozwi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm curious to know why Yamaha only shows and points out what it can do with no ballast. Why not actually show what it can do with the stock ballast setup on one of the wake models.
I was wondering the same. There are several videos on the yamaha facebook page as well as a some posts from a dealer down south. The wave looks good for no ballast, including a nice curl along the top. But where's the full ballast wave?

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My guess is that the boat was loaded with people and adding ballast would probably put them over the weight capacity. They likely didn't want to show off their product with that setup.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I came up with an idea for a budget diy booster loosely based on Yamaha's design. 4 inch schedule 40 or 80 pvc pipe long sweep 90 mounted to 1/2 inch thick hdpe plate with recessed stainless bolts. Slight angle cut to both ends of the long sweep 90. Cut the slot for the tie down in the hdpe and secure much the same way. Of course attach a short safety line so if the thing fails under pressure the border will not take it in the face. Testing without a rider first as well. My thinking is this might be a 50-80 percent solution for a small fraction of the cost.

Thoughts? Pitfalls I am missing? Is this entirely stupid?

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Will be interesting to see for sure! Once we get our hands on an actual unit for measurements and angle specs then some really interesting experimentation can begin... I imagine they landed on the specs they did for a best all around wave, but I'm sure minor differences in shape and/or size produce differences in surf pockets, pocket size/distance from boat, better with more ballast or better with less ballast etc.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I came up with an idea for a budget diy booster loosely based on Yamaha's design. 4 inch schedule 40 or 80 pvc pipe long sweep 90 mounted to 1/2 inch thick hdpe plate with recessed stainless bolts. Slight angle cut to both ends of the long sweep 90. Cut the slot for the tie down in the hdpe and secure much the same way. Of course attach a short safety line so if the thing fails under pressure the border will not take it in the face. Testing without a rider first as well. My thinking is this might be a 50-80 percent solution for a small fraction of the cost.

Thoughts? Pitfalls I am missing? Is this entirely stupid?
Sounds good! I hope you make it and test!
I wouldn't make it too too strong, the tie down U-bolts are not terribly well enforced... and the pressure of water on that device is going to be impressive, at least that was my experience with a plywood prototype. You would want that MainahBooster to give, before anything else.

I would think the positioning must be really important. Just looking at how much more recessed the Yamaha WakeBooster is as compared to the Scarab Surf Stream.

--

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ha, yep, here is my previous Centurion at Lake Powell, interestingly enough that is one 1100# sac in the v-drive locker and 500# of lead on the sundeck (plus a couple ballast boys). Water flowed over the back corner so we had to duct-tape the rear vents to keep water out. Crazy wave, but this certainly wouldn't fly down here on the ocean.IMG_4997.jpeg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ha, yep, here is my previous Centurion at Lake Powell, interestingly enough that is one 1100# sac in the v-drive locker and 500# of lead on the sundeck (plus a couple ballast boys). Water flowed over the back corner so we had to duct-tape the rear vents to keep water out. Crazy wave, but this certainly wouldn't fly down here on the ocean.View attachment 82146
Haha wow. I guess that’s why all the newer wake boats have much more freeboard compared to the older ones.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When i was a kid i filled up 5 buckets full of cement. 80lb each. Cost 15 bucks total. I put them in an old glasstron and it nearly doubled the wake.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My local dealer just called and confirmed what we have heard. The Wakebooster can only be ordered with the 2019 watercraft order. It is actually a stand alone line item on the order form like it is a watercraft and not an accessory, thus there is no part number listed yet. It cannot be ordered stand alone, only as a package. And it will not ship until early Feb. 2019. MSRP of $999.
Completely different story from my dealer. He has 5 on order and said the arrival is 30-60 days. Anyone can buy the package.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I know Yamaha stated the Wakebooster was for the newer 21’ and 24’s. When someone or a dealer gets one (can they put this on a 19’ and see if it fits and works)?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Not sure if I've missed any but this is the first vid I've seen of the wakebooster on the 212x.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if I've missed any but this is the first vid I've seen of the wakebooster on the 212x.

Thank for posting!
I must say I have a feeling this may not be the ultimate surfing mod, and some of the people may be disappointed with this surfing mod...
Now that I've seen several video clips, to me the pocket does not look like something that can push a beginner/or weak surfer (ropeless)

ANother thing that I noticed is this.
There is a very distinct line of spray water coming off of the Booster, on the outside of the device. It may not look like much, but it ruins the surface of the pocket making it a little harder to find a "sweet spot".
upload_2018-8-25_12-3-27.png
I also think this could be THE reason this has been tested without ballast... I think that pushing the stern lower/deeper will (likely) make it worse.
This may not be a big detriment for a strong surfer, but someone who is just starting can benefit from a large, smooth sweet spot more than anything else.

I had seen that exact same thing (only way, way worse) when I was testing my little plywood Booster/Scooper/Surf Stream gizmos. Granted in my case it was really bad but the trend was unmistakable - this off-side spray was bigger with ballast and smaller without.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/surfstream-diy-edition-prototyping-in-ar240.16075/#post-276180

EDIT: this post is not meant to be a ding on the whole concept of Yamaha Wake Booster!!!
I think it may work very well for some, but I don;t see this as a breakthrough in surfing behind a Yamaha

Now, those new steering nozzles - that's a different story - WINNER!!! (I think)

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just because a wave curls doesn't mean it is a good wave for surfing. It looks promising but I am with holding judgement until I ride the wave. @Brian eilrich has one order for his 212X and we will test it next spring.