• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warmest Cold Weather Jacket (Ladies)?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the best no-nonsense (super) cold weather jacket - would be used for boating in NE winters, skiing etc. I'm trying to help Kate pick something that would extend our season on the water. I get a headache looking at all the links she sends me with space tech/astronauts wear it bs... Help.

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That might be a little much, but in all seriousness, Marmot makes some great stuff. I've got a couple of their jackets, and even though they are a little thinner then most winter jackets, I struggle to find cold enough weather to wear them here in Alabama, they are really warm.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Helly Hansen has a line of cold weather gear. They are more expensive, but anything BOAT costs more. ARCTIC OCEAN PARKA

I have worn Patagonia for a Winter coat, no not the Carhardt, for 15 years. High quality, super warm and they last. Patagonia Women's Frozen Range 3-in-1 Parka

Just a few suggestions to blend boating with skiing. Of course I am thinking of Northern New England cold.

Last edited:

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've got last year's version of one of these from Vineyard Vines and it's surprisingly warm and toasty; it does a great job of blocking out wind which I think will be very important for use on the boat. The Black Friday deal of $179 is very reasonable. It's technically listed as a men's jacket but the sizing goes down to what would fit most women.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you sir. That may be the ticket... Dammmm. those 8000m suits look pretty phenomenal... Totally missed that somehow. Maybe i can find an older model, under 1k, lol.

She has used very heavy duty ski jackets, but sitting in the boat for few hours at speed the chill just goes through everything. Not me, I still havent use dmy winter coat this year, just my old fleece, but that's different.
the only thing that has worked for us is outdoor rated sleeping bags but those limit the movement severely. 12v is great, I have a couple of blankets but those also gets clumsy on the boat.

Thnak you.

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's the best no-nonsense (super) cold weather jacket - would be used for boating in NE winters, skiing etc. I'm trying to help Kate pick something that would extend our season on the water. I get a headache looking at all the links she sends me with space tech/astronauts wear it bs... Help.

--
You guys ski. Is her ski jacket not sufficient , or does it breath too much. I would probably go with a waterproof shell with down fill. That's basically what @2kwik4u is suggesting. They are bulky and expensive. LL Bean makes some great down jackets for a lot less $$ ultimately my thought be a long the same line as skiing. Layers, that way you can shed a layer or add too.

Outdoor research is a great brand with some great results. I have a hard time with my OR stuff because I get too hot and I did not spring for the upgraded model with better vents.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thank you sir. That may be the ticket... Dammmm. those 8000m suits look pretty phenomenal... Totally missed that somehow. Maybe i can find an older model, under 1k, lol.

She has used very heavy duty ski jackets, but sitting in the boat for few hours at speed the chill just goes through everything. Not me, I still havent use dmy winter coat this year, just my old fleece, but that's different.
the only thing that has worked for us is outdoor rated sleeping bags but those limit the movement severely. 12v is great, I have a couple of blankets but those also gets clumsy on the boat.

Thnak you.

--
Here you go.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or you could just move to Texas. 70 degrees right now. Were it not for the fact that the boat is broken, I would likely be out on it right now... without a $1600 coat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great ideas, thank you.

And yes, it can get pretty cold around here, but NJ boating is UNBELIEVABLE.

We are surrounded by water. The other day we found ourselves debating... should we head to the lake or the ocean, lol.
Either is about 20 minutes away. Feels unreal. How fortunate we are.
😎
in this context
spending a few hundred to extend the season.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A cheap test - get her the Milwaukee vest or jacket. Not for primary/only jacket, but to wear underneath her current jacket. Size it so that it fits close to the body (any of the heated jackets should be fit like that, otherwise you're wasting a ton of the heat).

On sale to boot, at least in my neck of the woods:

Vest: Milwaukee Women's Medium M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless AXIS Black Heated Quilted Vest (Vest Only)-333B-20M - The Home Depot

Jacket: Milwaukee Women's Medium M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless AXIS Black Heated Quilted Jacket Kit with (1) 2.0Ah Battery and Charger-233B-21M - The Home Depot

I use mine for snowblowing, and I ALWAYS end up turning it off completely, because I'm soaked. I can't vouch for its efficacy for winter boating, but it's sure as heck gonna be a lot cheaper to test it out, and even if it doesn't work out, I guarantee your wife will quickly be a fan, given how often my wife uses mine "since you're not gonna use it right now".

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great ideas, thank you.

And yes, it can get pretty cold around here, but NJ boating is UNBELIEVABLE.

We are surrounded by water. The other day we found ourselves debating... should we head to the lake or the ocean, lol.
Either is about 20 minutes away. Feels unreal. How fortunate we are.
😎
in this context
spending a few hundred to extend the season.

I was xmas shopping gear and ran across this.

The Best Winter Jackets According to Arctic Explorers | GearJunkie

EXPEDITION SHELL ANORAK FULL ZIP - Wintergreen Northern Wear

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, those are great recommendations.
I have come to respect and appreciate the advice here on the forum, and I take it seriously. Thank you all.

I forwarded the info to Kate. I'm not crazy about spending a grand or more for a jacket, lol, but hey - I have done worse, way worse, as far as "boating mods" are concerned...
The thing is, boating stops being fun the moment you get that bone chill, and it can get to you pretty fast around here this time of year.
Last couple of trips up and down Hudson Valley I've been known to do this for hours on end, you know, to save time, lol:
1606485320895.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A cheap test - get her the Milwaukee vest or jacket. Not for primary/only jacket, but to wear underneath her current jacket. Size it so that it fits close to the body (any of the heated jackets should be fit like that, otherwise you're wasting a ton of the heat).

On sale to boot, at least in my neck of the woods:

Vest: Milwaukee Women's Medium M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless AXIS Black Heated Quilted Vest (Vest Only)-333B-20M - The Home Depot

Jacket: Milwaukee Women's Medium M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless AXIS Black Heated Quilted Jacket Kit with (1) 2.0Ah Battery and Charger-233B-21M - The Home Depot

I use mine for snowblowing, and I ALWAYS end up turning it off completely, because I'm soaked. I can't vouch for its efficacy for winter boating, but it's sure as heck gonna be a lot cheaper to test it out, and even if it doesn't work out, I guarantee your wife will quickly be a fan, given how often my wife uses mine "since you're not gonna use it right now".
She liked the idea and what you wrote, and I like Milwaukee tools, ordered the jacket.
Thank you for the recommendation!!

P.S. do you use any extra batteries, or any that are flat? sounds like the battery shape and placement is about the only complaint. We will see. I'm excited! More boating for me!

--

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Appears to be a good choice. She’ll have that Eruo look. Tap the ski pants and Wa-La. cruise the Hudson.👍🏻