• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wash Mitt Alternative

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a safe and faster alternative to the wash mitt? Seems to take forever and have to do some yoga moves to reach certain spots. I bought a soft brush with extendable handle, but now I'm thinking that might scratch the gel coat. What are you all using to wipe down the hull?

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. That's pretty similar to what I bought. I was just worried that the bristles might be too rough on the gel coat, but if you're happy with it I might give it go.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bristles will not scratch if you keep the brush clean. I wash my travel trailer (and occasionally the boat) with one. If you are very particular or worried, use a two buckets, one with soap, one just water. Dip in soapy one, scrub scrub scrub, then rinse in water only. Then back in soap and repeat. I don’t wash underneath as often as sides and top, just a fair reach to get just beyond the waterline scum.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks! First boat, so I'm paranoid about everything.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you want something that will be faster and safe, go to Griot's Garage for their reasonably priced wash mop with two microfiber pads. I use a soft boat brush for inside and outside of the boat, but I use the Griot's mop to wash my RV.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use an extendable arm brush from WalMart on the exterior and deck. I use a hand mitt for the interior. The brush is only for the boat, the vehicles get the micro fiber mitt.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If washing at home, Pressure washer, Foam Cannon, Pressure washer rotating brush and rinse again with Pressure washer. Done

As long as you keep the sand rinsed out of your mitt or brush, the finish will be fine. Keeping in mind, if for some reason your brush mars the finish, it will be highly superficial, and will go away with your next buff/polish

When we are at the lake, I don't have access to the pressure washer on the lift. So the first thing I do once I get to a sandbar is crack my first beer and walk around the boat with a soft bristled brush, rinsing often. If anything to get rid of water spots while on display.

Good luck

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you want your boat, cars, bikes, etc to look their best in the long run I'd recommend using a 2 bucket method. I learned this a long time ago when I did auto detailing. One bucket is for rinse and the other is for your soap. In the bottom of the rinse bucket you should have a grate to scrub the mitt against which helps knock off dirt that gets trapped inside the microfiber or mitt material. If you don't use a second bucket what happens is you will get very fine micro scratches. On a darker vehicle these scratches are easy to spot if you look for them. You could have the best wash mitt in the world and it's going to scratch the surface if you don't clean it periodically as you wash since you'd just basically be spreading dirt across a surface.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use this brush to clean my hull. It is for washing cars. It also makes a great snow brush. Soft bristles, we have had it for a long time and I do not know where my wife bought it. It is great for getting under the boat with Starbrite Hull Cleaner without getting under the boat. Just connect to a hose.

20190405_110903.jpg

20190405_110928.jpg