• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Water separators on Yamaha jet boats

MARTYS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 2018 210 fsh and topped off the fuel tank last fall. Took it out last weekend and both motors ran fine for about 150 yards. The starboard engine just quit and the other started acting up and then quit. Couldn’t get the starboard engine to start the other engine cranked up but kept cutting out. The only conclusion is I got bad gas and after sitting it separated at the bottom. Now I have 53 gallons of gas to empty or try and get rid of.

does Yamaha have water separators that could be added or is there an aftermarket for this. most All boats have water separators wonder why Yamaha did not add this to the boat

I’d change the spark plugs before I’d get rid of all the fuel, and I would add some seafoam or other additive the tank too. When you say couldn’t get the starboard engine to start does that mean it didn’t turn over at all? Make sure your safety lanyard and clean out switches are good.

I had a similar issue years ago with my AR230. You have to be very careful what you use in a confined engine compartment. I ended up installing two of these, one on each engine between the fuel tank and the motor. I mounted them inside the engine compartment on the bulkhead where the fuel lines passed thru.

Mine did same thing after some asshat put water in the tank after leaving overnight in a marina. You could disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rail and place each one in a fuel can then turn on ignition and let each motoro pump out a gallon then reconnect and try restarting.

If you pull a fuel pump / sender out and syphon from the bottom of the tank you should be able to just get your water. I could actually see the horizontal line from the water / ethonal and fuel.

When I had my issue the problem was the water caused all the ethonal to seperatre out of the fuel too which would end up being about 6 gallons, I kept running it through a Mr Funnel to seperate the water out. I ended up trashing all my fuel as I was nto 100% sure it was just water added to the tank and I did not want to risk my engines over it.

Scuba Ref post about his fuel problem was quite an experience,

I also am thinking fuel is the issue to this problem,

I wonder,
could you pull the fuel sender out of the tank and put it in a gas can of clean fuel and run the engine off of that ??

just for a minute for testing purposes, if the engine runs you quickly diagnosed the problem,

also,
scuba ref was able to drain his tank using the YDS and activating the fuel pump, an easy way to get some out,
it would probably worth pumping a gallon or two out into a clear container to look for separation,

Wow, @Scottintexas great memory. I'd forgotten that I used YDS to pump out the fuel.

At some point, depending on the water to fuel ratio, you get phase separation. Pretty much no recovering the fuel after that point. If you can pump a little out of the bottom of the fuel tank - disconnect the fuel line where it comes into the engine compartment and turn the key a couple of times - and let it sit then you will be able to determine if it is the fuel. After an hour or so I had an inch or more of white sludge settle on the bottom.

That stuff is heavier than the fuel, so it is always at the low point of the tank - coincidentally the very same spot that houses your fule pumps.

Edit: after installing the filters I never had a problem again.

I have a 2018 210 fsh and topped off the fuel tank last fall. Took it out last weekend and both motors ran fine for about 150 yards. The starboard engine just quit and the other started acting up and then quit. Couldn’t get the starboard engine to start the other engine cranked up but kept cutting out. The only conclusion is I got bad gas and after sitting it separated at the bottom. Now I have 53 gallons of gas to empty or try and get rid of.

does Yamaha have water separators that could be added or is there an aftermarket for this. most All boats have water separators wonder why Yamaha did not add this to the boat
Yes both engines turn over actually had both engines running when on land

Yes both engines turn over actually had both engines running when on land
I found that on the trailer the fuel tank is more forward biased, meaning the heavy sludge shifts away from the fuel pumps.

In my case, the boat ran perfect on land and even just floating at the dock. As soon as you gave it throttle, and the bow started to rise, all that junk floated back to the pumps and killed the engines.

At some point even fuel treatment won't work. Google phase separation. Just get that bad fuel of of your tank and you should be fine.

I had a problem with water in the fuel tank also, I found with the bow of the boat up the water would flow into the low spots in the tank where the fuel pumps sat.

I bought a small 12vdc electric fuel pump from an auto supply store and attached a piece of 1/4” copper to it with rubber line and clamps. I was able after removing the fuel gauge sending unit, guide the copper tube into the areas around the fuel pumps where the water was. I probably got a couple gallons out.

Back