• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Weeds help

ChrisF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha 2022 195s that I keep at Lake Delavan WI. I go through a weedy channel to get in/out of the lake. Last weekend I sucked up a bunch of weeds on my way back in and the overheat indicator went off as I was nearing my dock. All I did so far was pull the weeds out of the back port and restarted. The message came up to contact a Yamaha dealer. I noticed no water coming out of the pissers. Please let me know the steps to fix and things to check. Trying to avoid the dealer $$$ and I'm by no means a mechanic. Thanks for the assistance!!

Pickup screens(on the jets) are clogged it an easy process to fix............little square box on the side of the jet drive with 4 small bolts remove and clean the plastic screen. Most times its just debrie stuck to the outside of the plastic screen and can be removed by hand in the clean out ports.

Hi all,

I have a Yamaha 2022 195s that I keep at Lake Delavan WI. I go through a weedy channel to get in/out of the lake. Last weekend I sucked up a bunch of weeds on my way back in and the overheat indicator went off as I was nearing my dock. All I did so far was pull the weeds out of the back port and restarted. The message came up to contact a Yamaha dealer. I noticed no water coming out of the pissers. Please let me know the steps to fix and things to check. Trying to avoid the dealer $$$ and I'm by no means a mechanic. Thanks for the assistance!!

I'm guessing you parked, and then pulled the weeds. Do you leave your boat in the water, or is it trailered/drystacked?

If it's wet slipped, it's better to pull the weeds off, and run it, put it in reverse to help, but you need to make sure you get everything off/out if you're doing this at the pier, and get some water moving.

If it's trailered or drystacked, run a hose over everything, especially what David Martin said, your pickup screen. If you kept the boat moving, my experience has been that it is back to normal soon after all is removed.

It's almost a certainty that the weeds were the cause of the overheat, and you probably don't require any dealer service - that cleanout tube is helpful, but it's a lot bigger area than you think, so get some long arms in there to verify, or pull it out of the water

Hi fellow 'sconnie! If the weeds you're in are the dreaded milfoil, you're in for a challenge... that stuff is like sucking up carpet. I would pull the boat out of the water if you can and clean them up.

Your biggest challenge will be to try to avoid them altogether (obviously). Unfortunately, you can't throttle-chop milfoil beds up like other types of weeds, they just wrap around the gate and impeller. Go as slow as possible through the growing milfoil as you can and avoid the floating mats.

When they get stuck on the gate only, you can attempt the reverse maneuver (full throttle reverse to create momentum, cut the engines, and then open gates to full forward, which creates a back flush flow of water to push them out).

Otherwise, don a life jacket and pop under the boat to pull them out. If you can get them out of the gate area, you can rev the rest of them (usually) out of the impeller. If you need to pull them off the impeller through the cleanout shaft, a cheap serrated steak knife on a lanyard will give you lots of power to cut them.

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. Cleared all the weeds out but found this driftwood stuck in the impeller - see attached. My attempt is too use a mallet and long regular screwdriver and knock it out. Maybe try from down the plug too. Is this the best way to handle?

Attachments

• PXL_20240810_202000935.jpg
    PXL_20240810_202000935.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
See if you can remove it by reaching through the clean out plug, I usually have some small pliers or a pocket knife to dislodge things if I can’t do it by hand.

Pulling the pump is a great Idea................it not only allows a good clean out of debris.......it not a bad idea to grease the splines and I can also see a few areas that need attention filling all the gaps with some new caulk......this will keep cavitation from being a problem in the future.
Pull the pump

If you have the time, let it dry out then attempt to remove it. Often times the wood will shrink after it dries out and make it easier to remove. But I’d be prepared to just pull the pump. It’s way easier to pull the pump out the back than it is to struggle trying to remove it through the cleanout port.

Back