• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Well, looks like it's finally going to happen!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I'm not necessarily new to boating as I've grown up driving them and I've had a few skis. I'm 38 now so skis were out of the question for the family lol. This is my first boat that I've owned though so if it helps with insurance I'm all for it!

Speaking of insurance, I need to do some searching on here for what you guys are generally paying and with whom you're using. My home and our autos are all with State Farm but I've seen you guys mention boat-specific agencies so I'm open to suggestions.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking at the Yamaha website on the specs of the boat I'm a little confused.

I don't recall there being a wireless stereo remote on the boat but on the website it says there is one. I also don't recall seeing a windshield mirror but the website lists one as standard equipment. Can anyone confirm who has a newer 192?

TECHNICAL
Clarion® Marine Stereo: ✓
Wireless Stereo Remote: ✓
Bluetooth® Capability: ✓
Marine Speakers: 4
3 position "No Wake Mode™" Control : ✓
Cruise Assist: ✓
Electronic Speedometer: ✓
Fuel Management System: ✓
Depth Finder: ✓
Articulating Keel System: ✓

EXTERIOR

Available Color(s): White or Suede Gray
Stainless Steel Bow Rails: ✓
Stainless Steel Cleats: 6 Pop-up
Tow Hook: ✓
Bimini™ Top: ✓
Shipping Cover: ✓
Aluminum Folding Wakeboard Tower: Forward-swept / Color Matched
Wakeboard Racks: Optional
Windshield Mirror: ✓

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a 2015 ar192 and it did come with a wireless remote and a rear view mirror that suction cups to the window. Congrats on the boat to be..I was about to get the 2016 also..but saved thousands on the left over, so I grabbed it

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ah so it's like a small hand held remote? I knew I didn't see anything on the back of the boat like the larger boats.

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yea..small like the size of a credit card. It's pretty unless honestly because it needs line of sight. Having the radio on the passenger side is one thing I do not like at all. I keep the glove box lid closed while I'm moving to keep the random spray out of there

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you'll want to make sure your condo in PCB has a freshwater hose hookup somewhere so you can flush your engine every day after boating... be sure to take your boat to a spray off car wash or something as well and get all the salt off of it

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since it is Bluetooth capable I'm assuming I can just use my phone for volume and whatever app I'm using like Spotify? Sucks that it is an IR remote but if I can control everything from an app via Bluetooth then I'm ok with it. I agree I really wished the radio was at the captians helm.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Congratulations. I look forward to seeing you on Mitchell!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congratulations. I look forward to seeing you on Mitchell!
Thanks man I hope to see you guys out there too sometime. How's the fuel usage on your boat while on Mitchell? Are you able to go up and down the lake and still have plenty of fuel for a full day or do you need to refuel often? Do you launch at the lower public ramp? I have some friends with a lake house near the bottom of the lake close to the dam so we will probably be hanging around that area. I haven't been up the top of the lake since I was real little and used to live on the island with the airstrip during the summers.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We launch at Higgins Ferry. You get off I65 at the Loves Truckstop exit and the road basically dead-ends into the launch area. That is pretty convenient to the Dam area.

If you are going to be on the lake for the entire day running up and down the lake, you are going to have to refuel; mainly due to the size of your fuel tank. Generally the cheapest gas on the lake is at GRACE Marina on Cargile Creek. There is a launch at GRACE, but it's really tight.

I've got a cabin rented the first weekend in August up near Ware Island so we'll be there all weekend. Might be a good chance to catch up.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We launch at Higgins Ferry. You get off I65 at the Loves Truckstop exit and the road basically dead-ends into the launch area. That is pretty convenient to the Dam area.

If you are going to be on the lake for the entire day running up and down the lake, you are going to have to refuel; mainly due to the size of your fuel tank. Generally the cheapest gas on the lake is at GRACE Marina on Cargile Creek. There is a launch at GRACE, but it's really tight.

I've got a cabin rented the first weekend in August up near Ware Island so we'll be there all weekend. Might be a good chance to catch up.
Higgins Ferry is where I used to drop in. ;)

How long are you able to boat on average before filling up again? It's hard for me to gauge how long 30 gallons last if cruising most of the time with a few WOT bursts mixed in? I know the 192's are thirsty but real world numbers from real people owning the boats gives me a better idea than reading stat numbers. I know everyone's gph is different based on conditions, people on board etc.

thorsome

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I'm not necessarily new to boating as I've grown up driving them and I've had a few skis. I'm 38 now so skis were out of the question for the family lol. This is my first boat that I've owned though so if it helps with insurance I'm all for it!

Speaking of insurance, I need to do some searching on here for what you guys are generally paying and with whom you're using. My home and our autos are all with State Farm but I've seen you guys mention boat-specific agencies so I'm open to suggestions.

How long are you able to boat on average before filling up again? It's hard for me to gauge how long 30 gallons last if cruising most of the time with a few WOT bursts mixed in? I know the 192's are thirsty but real world numbers from real people owning the boats gives me a better idea than reading stat numbers. I know everyone's gph is different based on conditions, people on board etc.

thorsome

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started out with a 192 and traded up to a 212 within 90 days. If I had test driven both boats, I would have probably bought the 192 because I've never owned a boat before and the 212 would have been too much boat to start with. Kind of like buying a 600cc motorcycle to learn how to ride and then trading it in for a 1000. What I hadn't planned on was outgrowing the boat as quickly as we did. My recommendation is to test drive both boats and pick the one that suits you best. But know that there is a huge difference in the two boats in how they manage rough water. The 192 beat us up with even the slightest choppy water whereas the 212 just plows through with ease. That was the main reason for getting a bigger boat. If you do get to test drive boats boats, then be sure so drive through your own wake to get a feel for how differently they handle it. And another good recommendation for a test drive is to load the boat with as many people as you plan to carry at home. That way you can see how it handles the loads that you plan to carry.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I started out with a 192 and traded up to a 212 within 90 days. If I had test driven both boats, I would have probably bought the 192 because I've never owned a boat before and the 212 would have been too much boat to start with. Kind of like buying a 600cc motorcycle to learn how to ride and then trading it in for a 1000. What I hadn't planned on was outgrowing the boat as quickly as we did. My recommendation is to test drive both boats and pick the one that suits you best. But know that there is a huge difference in the two boats in how they manage rough water. The 192 beat us up with even the slightest choppy water whereas the 212 just plows through with ease. That was the main reason for getting a bigger boat. If you do get to test drive boats boats, then be sure so drive through your own wake to get a feel for how differently they handle it. And another good recommendation for a test drive is to load the boat with as many people as you plan to carry at home. That way you can see how it handles the loads that you plan to carry.
I did test ride in both the boats on Friday https://jetboaters.net/threads/kind-of-freaky-story-but-cool.10232/

Trust me I'd love nothing more than to have the 212 but like I said, I don't want to dip into our money that we are saving for a down payment on a larger home next year. It's a bigger priority than a boat which is a luxury item purchase. I also don't have room to store a 21' boat inside (pretty important to me) so I'd either have to store it outside away from my home due to HOA and worry about it all the time or pay out the nose for inside storage somewhere, again on a luxury item purchase. As far as them being loud, it's all preference I suppose but as I mentioned the loudness in the other thread, I didn't not find either boats to be annoyingly loud even at WOT. I've certainly been on much louder boats so I think sound is just different for everyone....or maybe the tone of the boats doesn't bother me.....or maybe I'm just going deaf lol. Yes the 21' boat certainly felt like it plowed through the water much nicer and smoother than the 19' and I could easily tell right off the bat.

In the end it comes down to what it takes to keep a happy momma ....well .....happy. 90% of the time we will be out on the boat I imagine it will just be my wife, our 6 year old daughter and myself. I'm hoping we can buy the 192 and enjoy it for a few years and then upgrade to a 21' boat once I have a larger house with enough room to store it inside a separate garage or something. By then we will know if we use a boat as much as I hope we will. It's a lot more motivating to go boating you can just roll it out from your garage and hit the road than it is if have to drive from your home to astorage site and then to the lake and then repeat those steps when you're reading to go back home. If we end up not using the boat as much then at least we won't have invested as much in a larger boat and it seems these 19' boats have no issues selling relatively shortly on the used market.

My heart tells me to sacrifice everything at all costs and get the bigger boat but the realistic side of me agrees with my wife and let's test the waters first, get something we can easily afford and live with that can also be stored at home. Trust me it is hard but in the end I think she's right.

Last edited:

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

If I am truly out for the entire day I usually fill up mid afternoon. We generally top off the tank at the Lay Lake dam exit on the way to the lake since the Citgo there has ethinol free gas and it saves me a little money. When I fill up mid afternoon the gauge on a typical day will be showing 1/4-1/3 of a tank and she'll take 20-22 gallons.

192s are thirsty, but like the noise, they aren't as bad as everyone says in my opinion. Besides, if you are getting into boating for fuel economy you are kind of missing the point.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Definitely not getting into boating with fuel economy in mind as they all suck heh. I am just trying to gauge how often a refill is actually required by people who own the boat rather than having to read into just what the numbers mean on boattest.com. ;)

Since we boat on the same waters @DBamaC , how do you feel your boat handles chop? We don't have large open bodies of water but I've been out on the lake on a windy day in the larger areas so I know how it can get. On the test ride I didn't get to drive either boat as I just rode as a passenger but he did make sure to cross the wakes so I could get a feel for the boat. I could feel the difference between the 19 and 21' boats but it wasn't a deal breaker for me but we were also on calm water.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash , I am one of the ones that you will find all over this forum also advising to get a larger boat ("buy your second boat first", "2-foot-itis", etc.). All of that is true. However, all of that said, it sounds to me like you have things pretty well figured out on the boat size and the priorities in your life. Had I to do it all over, I would probably rather have a smaller boat for 5 years than to have gone without for 4 years saving for a bigger one, when there are houses to buy and such.

I think you are lining you and your family up for a great time, and I can't wait to see your updates on here as it unfolds.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Ah so it's like a small hand held remote? I knew I didn't see anything on the back of the boat like the larger boats.
@kstrd23 is right...the remote that comes with the boat is worthless. You can buy and install wired remotes pretty cheap and I will orobably do that when I replace my head unit (I HATE the factory one). For now I just bought a MF1 remote and I fabbed up a suction cup mount. It works pretty damn good and I can just move it to wherever I need it (helm, stern, or even let my daughter control the music from the bow.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@DBamaC if the stock radio is Bluetooth shouldn't I be able to control my phone volume, switch songs on apps, etc like I can in my truck basically allowing for some form of volume control and song selection? I really hate Yamaha chose to put the radio all the way over there. It's the same way on my fathers old busted Bayliner and it was always a pain changing stations on the port side. I will look into a wired remote in the future but I'm hoping since it says it is Bluetooth that is just get by with manipulating things with my phone rather than using the deck. I used to work at car stereo shops (Sounds Great and also Audio Creations in Hoover) as an installer for several years in my younger days and I still have a bit of a hookup for stuff, so if I do upgrade the stereo at least I can do it all myself.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Like all small and lite boats, big chop stinks. I just does. That said, you'll never have chop on a lake like Mitchell that will particularly bother you. I was on Smith over the 4th weekend on Logan Martin on a very busy weekend recently and I was much more bothered by the sheer amount of traffic.