• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are your thoughts on the Sea-Doo Switch Pontoon Jet Boat?

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the creative and innovative aspect of it. Anything that can knock yamaha down a peg or two to compete is a good thing for the consumers. Bring it.
I agree, Yamaha always seems like they’re playing catch up. Atleast with waverunners. Yamaha is definitely more reliable (pre 2021 boats) but sea Doo is always innovating.

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's a neat concept. Not for everyone (me included) but the modular stuff is pretty cool. Like others said, the steering seems odd and I personally dont like the clear side panels. We have a far drive from house to launch and I dont like sitting in my swimsuit so I change on the boat. Those side panels dont give much privacy. The main issue for me is it completely defeats the best use of a pontoon IMO. I love that you can shore a pontoon on any surface and pretty much come out fine. If the bottom is fiberglass or some type of plastic then whats the point?

RedbirdRacing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Sea-Doo's website does note that cruise control standard on all models.

Jim
Yes but if it’s like the cruise in the pwc you basically set a max speed, then you just hold full throttle and it stays that speed.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This is what the market needs!!!

@Yamaha I tried to help you help yourself. If you had only listened to me.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This is the biggest question that I have about the
I think it's a neat concept. Not for everyone (me included) but the modular stuff is pretty cool. Like others said, the steering seems odd and I personally dont like the clear side panels. We have a far drive from house to launch and I dont like sitting in my swimsuit so I change on the boat. Those side panels dont give much privacy. The main issue for me is it completely defeats the best use of a pontoon IMO. I love that you can shore a pontoon on any surface and pretty much come out fine. If the bottom is fiberglass or some type of plastic then whats the point?
I believe the hull is polytec, the same material they use for the PWC's.

Jim

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Screenshot_20210812-071657_Gallery.jpg
Interesting. Might help sales.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it ever owned one it would have to be a second / spare boat. My friend put it in the following terms. It’s cool like a moped or fat girl but I wouldn’t want one or to be seen with/on one. I like the large Bimini top and modular link (sp?) system but also realize that all link accessories are propriety and priced as such. I may be mistaken but thought the link cooler was priced at $300. $300 for a standard, looks like Coleman or igloo cooler, because it has mounts for hooks molded into it?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not my cup of tea but could see them selling a lot of these for people looking to spend a little more than a jet ski and have a boat. Don’t see anything about navigation lights. Is this only used during the day like a jet ski?

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great idea.

Owning a jetboat has "spoiled" me reference the safety of internal impellers versus props. Lots of people own pontoons, lots of kids and drunken irresponsible adults. Anyway you look at this this will save lives and limbs in the long run.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm too used to the Yamaha's swim platform... can't have a boat without one now...meaning I'll stick to Yamahas despite their shitty build quality haha

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not my cup of tea but could see them selling a lot of these for people looking to spend a little more than a jet ski and have a boat. Don’t see anything about navigation lights. Is this only used during the day like a jet ski?
It has nav lights. Confirmed based on the optional extension required when camper enclosure is deployed.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not gonna get a toon any time soon (ha, a rhyme!!) but I like the modular aspect of the seating and being able to attach a cooler to the deck. The handle bar seems silly but if it makes maneuvering/docking easier then I can see why they went that way.

I'm curious that if this becomes hot does Yamaha jump in on the pontoon action? Based on the quality control issues that we've seen the past couple of seasons I'm not sure I would trust a plastic Yamaha toon to stay afloat for long......

In the end you can only put so much lipstick on a pig so some won't go for it.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
looks like a sponge floating in the sink lol

Seems like it would work for a rental boat for sure.

I mean, I wouldnt buy it, but If i found myself on vacation Id rent it and enjoy it im sure.....cheap and simple.

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm too used to the Yamaha's swim platform... can't have a boat without one now...meaning I'll stick to Yamahas despite their shitty build quality haha
I'll agree on the creature comfort stuff,...but ohhh the engines,....soooo reliable. Nobody even comes close.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
looks like a sponge floating in the sink lol

Seems like it would work for a rental boat for sure.

I mean, I wouldnt buy it, but If i found myself on vacation Id rent it and enjoy it im sure.....cheap and simple.
I would definitely rent a 21' version to run the Trent-Severn Waterway. Pull out the front seats and have room for a 2 person backpacking tent and a pop-up privacy tent for a porta-potty. For me that would be a super fun trip and something I couldn't do in a jet boat. :winkingthumbsup" I don't know, however, if my wife would agree with me! :confused:

Jim

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great idea.

Owning a jetboat has "spoiled" me reference the safety of internal impellers versus props. Lots of people own pontoons, lots of kids and drunken irresponsible adults. Anyway you look at this this will save lives and limbs in the long run.
For the record though, I hate pontoon boats,...............................LOL

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Sport and pontoon don't belong in the same sentence.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
who wants to buy one and take it to Bimini?
I'm in......That sounds like a damn good time.

I've been all about absurd road trips for years. Want to pickup a car I've never seen before in Winnipeg and drive it home. SURE. Pickup a eruopeans truck from port in Baltimore and trailer it home until he gets here in 2 months. SURE. Buy an odd shaped PWC masquarading as a pontoon boat and drive it through the Bermuda Triangle. SURE.

:D :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I kinda like it. It has to be one of the most interesting and versatile, trailerable pontoons I have seen.

I really like the fact that it has a modular deck tiles, so that the deck furniture can be re-arranged or even removed. This would be a cool feature if you actually wanted to camp on the boat. I do think the handle-bar steering seems a bit odd, but maybe it works for this particular boat?

I quickly priced out a 21' Cruise Model below, for $42,639

View attachment 159771

Price above includes:

21' long (I believe the beam is 7' 9 1/2")
230 HP
Double bimini
Camper enclosure
Trailer
7" Garmin (but the transducer is extra)

Is it an ocean worthy vessel? No, but in many inland lakes it might do well. Anyone sign up yet for a test drive?

Jim
Didn't realize there is a camper canvas with the double bimini. That's a weekend excursion vessel now. Take it somewhere like Dale Hollow, Cumberland, or the like and you could reasonably expect to stay on the water all weekend. Just need a couple coolers, a grill, and some sleeping bags with that enclosure.

It looks like there is a LOT of volume in the toons/hull/whatever that isn't being utilized for storage. If that's accurate it's a misstep IMO. I'm on the fence about the handle bars.

Man, that weekend camping idea sounds great.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not my cup of tea but its way better than traditional pontoon. With the modular design and the way their engineer design this, next thing you know you can build an island with interconnected sea-doo pontoon lol