• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you bring on your boat for lunch? (Also gluten free?)

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So added challenge since december of this year is that I cannot eat gluten. It tears me up to the point of bleeding with severe cramps.... Yay.

So, any suggestions on "boat food" that works for a 2 year old, a 4 year old, and mom/dad?
We'd prefer not needing to be cooked as it's enough trouble wrangling the kids, I cannot at this point imagine trying to grill as well. (maybe next year.)

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We always grab fried chicken on our way( tossing the skin)...

sk380

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Chicken wings usually have a coating on them. Even if you discard the skin of the fried chicken there is still gluten contamination. It all depends on your level of gluten sensitivity. Canyon Bakehouse makes a decent gluten free bread for sandwiches. There is a lot of gluten free chips as well. Add some fruit and veggies and there's lunch. There is even gluten free beer!

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep waiting for Omission to make a can vs a bottle!. (I hate glass on the lake.)

We have been doing deli meat but I also have issues with pork (yay body). And some deli meat can have gluten in it too.

I try to avoid chips but the more I look at it, the more I need to get a grill so I can do lamb chops or hamburgers or steak etc...

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Gluten contamination.... bahahaha...

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I make sandwich wraps with romain lettuce and lunch meat. I also bring fruit and boiled peanuts.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gluten contamination.... bahahaha...
Those with Celiacs can detect gluten to parts per million. and it could kill them. So yes. gluten contamination.

I'm "sensitive" SO long as it's not got wheat, barley, or rye listed as an ingredient I"m mostly ok. If it has it labeled (like beer) it is going to make my ass bleed bright red cups of blood and give me severe stomache cramps as my body attacks my own intestines. Things like mcdonalds fries ( crispy due to a coating of flour before they are fried) eat me up.
This is why i can no longer enjoy hot foods as well. (spicy hot).

Not a life choice for me. Unfortunately a ton of people that "feel bad" when they have gluten have given those of us who cannot tolerate it a bad name.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those with Celiacs can detect gluten to parts per million. and it could kill them. So yes. gluten contamination.

I'm "sensitive" SO long as it's not got wheat, barley, or rye listed as an ingredient I"m mostly ok. If it has it labeled (like beer) it is going to make my ass bleed bright red cups of blood and give me severe stomache cramps as my body attacks my own intestines. Things like mcdonalds fries ( crispy due to a coating of flour before they are fried) eat me up.

Not a life choice for me. Unfortunately a ton of people that "feel bad" when they have gluten have given those of us who cannot tolerate it a bad name.
I have it too but not as bad as you. A decent tasting gluten free beer is Red Bridge, most grocery stores carry it.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Untrue contact with gluten with gluten Intolerance, allergy or celiac is not fatal. Now long term exposure may increase risk of CAD, DM even CHF but immediate exposure.... NO...

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I stand corrected. Judging from my own reactions I would not wish any "stronger" reaction on anyone.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay...

Here is what we often do: hard boiled eggs. Just remember to bring a salt shaker! Its a great snack/light meal especially with many people on the boat doing water sports etc. Easy/no mess (we bring them packed in a cooler, already peeled), super nutritious. I find that most people are surprised at first but end up liking it a lot. Next time out - they usually ask for it!

No ass bleeds reported in the aftermath, so far.
:D

--

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So added challenge since december of this year is that I cannot eat gluten. It tears me up to the point of bleeding with severe cramps.... Yay.

So, any suggestions on "boat food" that works for a 2 year old, a 4 year old, and mom/dad?
We'd prefer not needing to be cooked as it's enough trouble wrangling the kids, I cannot at this point imagine trying to grill as well. (maybe next year.)
Sushi, preferably from a real sushi shop and not grocery store, would be my suggestion. For kids, inari sushi or rolls with cucumber or california roll. For adults, whatever kind you like.
Of course this is assuming you have a cooler to keep it until lunch time.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trader Joe’s has a list of everything in there store that is gluten free.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sushi, preferably from a real sushi shop and not grocery store, would be my suggestion. For kids, inari sushi or rolls with cucumber or california roll. For adults, whatever kind you like.
Of course this is assuming you have a cooler to keep it until lunch time.
Yes. Sushi. But i love the sushi from Sam's Club. It might be just the provider that works at the NC stores because i think all are different. Hissho Sushi that provides for supermarkets is terrible.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
To expand on the raw fish.. You can try the peruvian ceviche. They have many different flavors.
Otherwise you can't go wrong with nuts, bananas, and berries.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay...

Here is what we often do: hard boiled eggs. Just remember to bring a salt shaker! Its a great snack/light meal especially with many people on the boat doing water sports etc. Easy/no mess (we bring them packed in a cooler, already peeled), super nutritious. I find that most people are surprised at first but end up liking it a lot. Next time out - they usually ask for it!

No ass bleeds reported in the aftermath, so far.
:D

--
If you've got an Instant Pot, making the eggs in that thing results in super-easy peeling. IIRC, use the steam setting. My brother-in-law bought some egg cooker from Amazon that ONLY does eggs, but they eat, in his words, about 3 dozen eggs a week. The machine he got was only $15-20, not a terrible outlay of cash if you are really into eggs and don't mind the single-use appliance.