• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you use to tow your boat?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We like both of our towing vehicles (Jeep Commander Overland with 5.7L Hemi and Chevy Suburban 5.3L Z71 with 3.42 gear ratio). Both do a great job. However, the suburban feels exactly the same with or without the boat. With the 3.42 gear ratio, the suburban is not going to win any races, but towing is effortless (with or without the boat). With the commander, I do notice the difference when the boat is in tow, but that engine is ready to give me more at any time. Even with the boat attached, it accelerates like a champ. Really love that Hemi.

My Jeep Commander Overland (Hemi)

or

My wife's Chevy Suburban Z71 (Off Road package 3.42 gear ratio)

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is my new tow vehicle. Got rid of the Armada and I'm happy with the choice so far. Only thing I would (will) change is the wimpy passenger tires they put on there as stock. Definitely need at least some all terrains and maybe something with a little more sidewall :)

photo.JPG

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That Armada is a big SUV until you hook that 242LS to it. Then it looks tiny. You can see the dirt dust on everything because the township ran out of salt this winter and switched to pea gravel. I may have to sweep my grass. :|

10004038_10203660073246931_1892376885_n.jpg

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Had an 08' Avalanche, but switched to a Sierra last year. Same engine, but 6 speed tranny now and heavy duty trailering suspension with the All Terrain pkg made a big difference in the feel and handling with the boat. Love it

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing special. A 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer with the 298hp 4.2L. She's got 50k miles and does an amazing job towing.
Wife wants a new Acadia, but I'm waiting for the new Tahoe to come out. View attachment 341
new tahoes are available....personally not a fan of the way they designed the front end, but that's just a matter of opinion....

they got rid of the terrible bump in the third tow to make it a "full" seat, but there is still absolutely no room behind the third row to store anything...I was wanting to get rid of the Sequoia to get a Yukon and changed my mind after looking at them :(

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
new tahoes are out....personally not a fan of the way they designed the front end, but that's just a matter of opinion....

they got rid of the terrible bump in the third tow to make it a "full" seat, but there is still absolutely no room behind the third row to store anything...I was wanting to get rid of the Sequoia to get a Yukon and changed my mind after looking at them :(
They're not out in our area yet. I was told mid to late May by our Chevy dealer.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like the new ones and was going to trade my Denali in on the new model, but I got hammered in the hail storm Thursday night, so not going to happen now for a while.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sub4.jpg
new tahoes are available....personally not a fan of the way they designed the front end, but that's just a matter of opinion....

That's what the Suburbans are for. There is not possible way to have all that room in the Tahoe and still have plenty of storage. Move up to the Suburban and get the 2+ extra feet of storage. We did for that exact reason.

View attachment 3797

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice looking truck

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our 2006 Denali looked just like yours Black on Black. I sometimes miss it, NOT, lol. That thing (ours was AWD) got about 11mpg all day long no matter what. and they take premium gasoline. But it sure is a NICE looking ride.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
'14 Ram 1500 Black Out 4x4

I love this truck, blacked out headlights, no vehicle decals, 5.7l Hemi, matches my 242LS perfectly!

Last edited:

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm planning to level my truck and upgrade from the 33" tires to 35" tires on my truck. Just looks more proportionate IMO. Do any of you tow with a level or lift with bigger tires and if so, do you see any issues with it?

I don't tow often but when I do, I've gone 1100 miles.....so I want to make sure I won't have any issues. If there are issues/concerns, I'll leave the truck as is.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm planning to level my truck and upgrade from the 33" tires to 35" tires on my truck. Just looks more proportionate IMO. Do any of you tow with a level or lift with bigger tires and if so, do you see any issues with it?

I don't tow often but when I do, I've gone 1100 miles.....so I want to make sure I won't have any issues. If there are issues/concerns, I'll leave the truck as is.
What is your truck? Gas or diesel? Your mileage will get worse no matter what it is. Depending on the gearing you'll probably lose some of your engines punch too. I'm no expert, but think about it. Larger tires is more weight. Higher up with a lift kit you'll be catching more wind so your engine will have to work harder. If it were mine I'd leave it alone.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought a 14 Ram 1500 & pulled the boat for the first time yesterday.....LOVE it, not even a comparison do the Sequoia and I'd say a lil bit better than the Denali

unfortunately no pics yet :/

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought a 14 Ram 1500 & pulled the boat for the first time yesterday.....LOVE it,
Did you get the new light-duty diesel? I think that will be next on my list after I'm done with my 2011 Ram 2500 Heavy-Duty diesel. :thumbsup:

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My wife's suburban does a nice job. It has the heavy duty tow package. I do wish it had more power but it will keep 75mph even in strong head winds. It is always windy in Oklahoma! image.jpg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I finally got around to snapping a picture of my F-150 FX2 Ecoboost with the SX210. I am always too anxious to get to the lake heading out and seem to get preoccupied with the cleaning routine when we get back. Since buying a boat and a tow vehicle couldn't happen at the same time, I towed with our Enclave for two years. It handled very well; but I added a trans cooler to be safe, manually shifted to best use the power band and also had to shift into neutral and rev +1000 RPM over idle to keep the engine temps down if hitting a lot of stop lights on a hot day. As for the F-150? None of those worries!
Tow Vehicle.jpg