• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you use to tow your boat?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Big Shasta..we're seriously looking. We're thinking about the GMC Denali (6.0 or 6.2..whatever the heck it is), but all this talk about horrible gas mileage has me a bit nervous. Although, right now we're doing good to get 15 mpg on both my Trailblazer and @DawgDaze Silverado. All I know is something needs to happen if we plan to pull this boat anywhere and not end up stranded on the side of the road.
Towing is just one of those things you can't expect to get good mileage doing. Unless you shell out big bucks for the diesels made to pull stuff. But even then, you spend more on the initial cost, fuel and maintenance. I guess if we wanna play we gotta pay.

We tow the boat to Lake Martin Alabama every summer and I get about 10-11 towing when I hit the hills in Alabama, about 11-12 on the flats. But I'm not going slow either..that's 65-70 mph when the road allows...our route even has some interstate on it. The truck handles it like a champ...tons of power.

LOVE the interior of the new Tundras. There is talk of a cummings diesel in the 1/2 ton 2016 tundra so it won't be a big HD truck. Just not sure of the cost...probably pricey. Check out www.tundratalk.net if you want to research before you buy. I have the same name there. Sorry, I'm very anti GM....and I grew up a loyal supporter. But I'll leave it at that...pm me if you want details.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Amen to what @Big Shasta said. If all you do is tow, get a diesel. My dad's dodge gets 16MPG towing my boat if he is under 80MPH. I get 6-9 MPG with my 5.3L gasoline. Oh, what's that? a 15-20% grade hill right there that is 4 miles long? ... I'm great in my truck if I'm 75MPH in the power band. Some dickhead in a geo metro practically stops in front of me and I'm screwed (55MPH and I'm red-lining). My dad's diesel... no sweat, gets back up to 75MPH.

BUT... when he's not towing, he's driving a Mazda 6 because the maintenance and city milage on his diesel sucks balls.

I tow 30% of the life of my truck and for that... it's good enough :).

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
2007 Ford F 150 FX2.

La Yankee 2.jpg

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2013 F150 STX 5.0 Coyote w/3.55 and 33x305X20 tires and a 3" level. Pulls @ 75mph with no issues at all. I haven't checked mpg but I can imagine 15-16.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
2013 F150 STX 5.0 Coyote w/3.55 and 33x305X20 tires and a 3" level. Pulls @ 75mph with no issues at all. I haven't checked mpg but I can imagine 15-16.

If you're getting 15-16 while towing then you're either going 45mph on flat ground or going downhill. I doubt you're getting that MPG going 75 while towing even on flat ground. Especially with those tires.

Last edited:

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think for the price difference we are ultimately going to end up with a minivan and save the $20,000.
Holllllllly whaaaaaat...

The F.

LOL

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you're getting 15-16 while towing then you're either going 45mph on flat ground or going downhill. I doubt you're getting that MPG going 75 while towing even on flat ground. Especially with those tires.
He lives in Florida! It's all flat. Uphills and downhills for Floridians are called bridges!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
He lives in Florida! It's all flat. Uphills and downhills for Floridians are called bridges!
LOL...mostly true.. I live in Florida also. Still pretty sure he isn't getting that mileage while towing or it would be compared to every other brand in every commercial.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holllllllly whaaaaaat...

The F.

LOL

We paid $14,000 for a 2010 Town and Country minivan. The dealer had a 2010 Suburban with about the same miles for $33,000. Since I already have a pickup truck, I just can't justify paying almost $20,000 more for a suburban. When we take road trips (which is usually 2 or 3 times per year) we will just take 2 vehicles.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
'13 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3 v8

It did great towing the sx230 500+ miles from Ocean City, MD to Columbus, OH. I took the more conservative route via the Pennsylvania turnpike, I suspect I would have been fine using slightly more direct route with the mountains using I68. No issues all with the Tahoe.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66, 5.3L, 205,000 miles and climbing.
Kind of Patriotic looking...Red, White, and Blue [flag]

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SCrew Ecoboost

Team Bristow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When my Cherokee finally does kick the bucket I will replace it with a used Avalanche. I love the whole idea of it.
Well the wheels didn't fall off but it did end up in the shop 5 times in 6 months bleeding me for almost $1500, plus about a half dozen things stopped working including the gas gauge. So that pushed me over the edge and into a new-to-me pick-up. I know that I previously said I wanted an Avalanche but I could not resist a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi. I can not wait to hook it up to the boat 6 months from now when the weather breaks (not sure why we decided to leave Florida).
FullSizeRender.jpg
It wont fit in the garage though.
truckgarage.jpg

Cheers!

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice truck man!

I've never been much of a dodge fan, but I've been fairly impressed with the newer Ram 1500s and 3500s we have at work. Plus they are pretty sharp looking. My wife's '06 Durango has been descent too, but I've not been too thrilled with that fact its rusting already.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just bought a 2014 Toyota Tundra 4X4. It is the 1794 edition. I am looking forward to hooking it up to the boat!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What do you use to tow your Yamaha boat ?

ANSWER: My Seadoo IBR Jet Ski !

Hey ! 'Jes sayin .... and ... Keepin' it real. LOL !
Merry Christmas all - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Merry Christmas Spc - X1l.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Picked up this beauty a few weeks ago...I don't even know the boat is there, and it's 8,500 lbs!! Makes the boat look small :cool: