• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the Safest Way to Sleep on a Moving Vehicle ? ( for say overnight driving)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was a kid I was fascinated by sleeping trains and I am thinking of a way make that a reality on my vehicle. We often travel 13 hour trips and it will be great for the kids to actually get a good night sleep while I am driving.

The best solution I now off is Kia Carnival with a reclining captain chair, but the recline is not flat enough. Does anyone have any other ideas ?

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I would not recommend sleeping in a horizontal position while a vehicle is underway. The safest way to sleep is in a seated upright position with the proper safety restrains. I would not want to endanger my self or any passenger's life in the event of an accident.
That being said you are not me. So if I were to do something like this, this is how I would.

1) There are inflatable mattresses that fit perfectly in the back seat that include support near the floor.

2) There are also inflatable mattresses that fit in the back of a minivan that still allow for some luggage space.

3) New F-150 and possibly other models have a fully recline able seat that turns into a makeshift bed. (High-End Models I Believe)

If you feel risky the whole family can sleep! Get a Tesla..... Don't do that, please for the love of all things holy xD

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@deubank1776 thank you for the response. I am trying to find a way to incorporate a restrain system. I have slept plenty of time in a rest area with a thick mattress topper, but it is not something I would want my kids to do while the vehicle is moving at 75mph.

If I had to guess I would have that it will have to be a net harness similar to what there is navy bunks, but I am not entirely sure.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Do you know those avalanche devices that deploy when you have a hard fall? Strap those to them and that way its like a personal airbag. Probably the best safety device for sleeping while un restrained. I know in Ohio back seat passengers don't need a seatbelt. I'm unaware with TX but if they have the same law you could trust the state in their safety standards.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you know those avalanche devices that deploy when you have a hard fall? Strap those to them and that way its like a personal airbag. Probably the best safety device for sleeping while un restrained. I know in Ohio back seat passengers don't need a seatbelt. I'm unaware with TX but if they have the same law you could trust the state in their safety standards.
the avalanche bag is manually deployed though and design to be on the back

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I've seen some that go around the waist and neck for when you fall.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a moving automobile.......There is no safe way to sleep laying flat. Too many options for which way you go if you crash to be well restrained. In a train or airplane there is little additional risk in laying flat. In an airplane; nothing to hit but the ground. In a train, the chances of a derailment or collision are so slim it's practically zero, because access to other vehicles is so low.

Kia Karnival is probably the best "middle row sleeper" you're going to find. Maybe an Audi A8L with the reclining rear seats and foot rests. Kids, in general, will sleep anywhere. Invest in some good pillows and comfy blankets for them. Maybe some sound deadening headphones as well. But, please, keep them strapped in.

With that said; I've put an air mattress in the back of a Suburban and slept while someone else drove. We had a couple quilts and some pillows back there. It was comfy and I slept just fine. However, it was super sketchy from a safety perspective and NOT something I would do with my kids. The risk isn't worth the reward here.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking up the side cushions the other day and saw the kid’s noggin holder😁
343639CA-1D26-47C2-A8C3-720A678BC1C5.png14CE92F7-F302-4995-965A-1FE1C3FD8D80.png

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I agree. Both me and my wife have slept while driving, but we willingly take the risk. For the kids it is different story though, so I am 100% on the same page as you.
I will keep searching though cause you never know what might be out there.

We do have the blankets and the nice pillow. I even installed heated seats on the CRv, so they are comfy there, but I want I really wish I could get the angle a bit lower.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Wayloncle we have the headrests already. They do make a big difference in long drives. My wife uses them :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wayloncle we have the headrests already. They do make a big difference in long drives. My wife uses them :)
I agree with @Wayloncle.
@Betik - you should always wear a helmet while driving a car.
:cool:

Seriously though, many suvs can fold 2nd and 3rd row to give you a bed.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with @Wayloncle.
@Betik - you should always wear a helmet while driving a car.
:cool:

Seriously though, many suvs can fold 2nd and 3rd row to give you a bed.

--
it is for the kids and need them to be restrained ( literally and figuratively ) . I can actually put the seats down the prius and put a single mattress there. It works fine it is just me and Claire.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik We solved this problem in the 80's :D :D

Here's the solution in a slightly more modern form :D :D

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, you can roll with that too Bimini. Of course, if you fell off and deployed it, you would be face down. I rented a pack before, while cat skiing. The people that use those all the time are in shape. No way, I would want a long hike up with a pack. I am too out of shape; I'll ride the cat up and ski down thank you very much.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@adrianp89 do you know who manufaturs those seats ? The article calls them Hoverseats but google returns nothing useful.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I grew up in the 80s so I am very familiar with those van. Familiar through movies that is. I have always loved them. And loved even more after George Constanca's parents gave me some new ideas :)

BTW, do you have happen to know who makes those seats ?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here’s the answer your looking for.
36480FAF-9D4F-4CBB-BB0B-59D6846EC862.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I grew up in the 80s so I am very familiar with those van. Familiar through movies that is. I have always loved them. And loved even more after George Constanca's parents gave me some new ideas :)

BTW, do you have happen to know who makes those seats ?
NO idea who makes the seats. I just googled "awesome 80's conversion van" and led myself down the bunny trail that ensued :D :D