• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to hold my cargo mat in place?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2014 q5
I keep our ammo and gear in the back most of the time plus when my daughter's gun case is back there it's another 30lbs

The cargo mat always slides backwards to the point the hatch won't close

I tried 8 -9 1inch self adhesive velcro strips, it held good for a week but the summer heat melts them from sticking to the mat

Any other ideas??

I have a child seat holder hook that i thought about long peice of metal across the back edge with nuts/bolts through the mat to spread the pressure and tie it with string to the hook

20200919_143450.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had one of those liners for my RX300 and I hated it for the same issues you're having. I got a Husky mat for it, not those liners, an actual mat, thick rubber, spiky nubs on the bottom, and I never had a problem again. The GX470 I have now had one standard, but the WeatherTech one is the exact same type.

Those custom liners suck if there's not a hold-down for them. I had them for my F150, and I had to remove it because it slid around, to the point of being dangerous, sliding up under the gas pedal once.

Look for a Husky mat, or see if WeatherTech has the non-custom mat for your vehicle. They're going to be very similar to the Husky mats

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kinda stupid simple, but have you considered riveting the Velcro to the bottom of the mat?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kinda stupid simple, but have you considered riveting the Velcro to the bottom of the mat?
No, I've never "riveted" anything before,

After drews response i thought about maybe liquid nails a "holder" square of some sort to the bottom of the mat

I was really trying for a non damaging solution first,

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, I've never "riveted" anything before,

After drews response i thought about maybe liquid nails a "holder" square of some sort to the bottom of the mat

I was really trying for a non damaging solution first,
Yeah, I’m sure gorilla glue, an epoxy, or some other form of permanent adhesive would do well to keep the velcro attached to the mat also. I’ve got weathertek in my vehicles, and it’s got “spikes” on the bottom to help keep it in place, but I also don’t have a large mat like that. Mine are all smaller, thus less prone to shifting.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what I've currently got in my GX470. Like I said, they had the OEM mat in the cargo area, which works perfectly fine. If it hadn't, I'd have gone with a Husky or the generic WeatherTech's. In the front, I DO have the generic WeatherTech's, because of the very issue with these liners (slippery, don't stay in place as well, usually more expensive than the generics that seem to work better).

IMG_20200920_164908234.jpg

IMG_20200920_164941532.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
p.s. no movement of the Husky liner with 4 of my dad's old army ammo cans full of shotgun shells and .300 WinMag rounds, 4 shotguns, 2 rifles, and all of our luggage and whatnot for the weekend - removing the luggage to go sight in our guns gave the same results. This was in my dad's car, which made me look into them for my RX300. He had a Cadillac SRX with their OEM carpeted mat, and he had found the Husky because he hated everything sliding around on that dang carpet.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just went looking to see if Husky had one for your Audi, and I noticed that they've started to do that slippery "bowl" liner too. I don't trust those things, wanted to clarify that what I'm talking about is the WeatherTech type in the pic I posted above. That's one of those thick rubber mats designed to hold a ton of garbage (rain, rocks, small pets, snow etc). I think the weight and non-slip characteristics of that type of rubber mat combine to make it pretty bulletproof and less moveable.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I think the issue is either that mat isn't meant for the car, or it isn't sat in properly. Those things are usually a snug fit with little to no movement available.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was waiting to get some time in before I updated,
I gorilla glued some Velcro strips to the bottom of the mat last week, I've had some shells in there for a few days and no movement yet,

I think the issue is either that mat isn't meant for the car, or it isn't sat in properly. Those things are usually a snug fit with little to no movement available.
The mat was a custom order from weathertech for my car, it fits in very nicely, it's just the smooth bottom slides against the carpet.

I'll have to say I'm disappointed in this purchase, my rear seat mats also are not anything special, they fit "ok" but for being laser measured and then the plastic bending on the top edge, I'm not impressed,

My front seat floor mats fit very well, they snap into the factory snaps and have held their shape, no complaints there,

Looking at the Husky site recommended above, their mats have "teeth" on the bottom to help hold them in place,

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was waiting to get some time in before I updated,
I gorilla glued some Velcro strips to the bottom of the mat last week, I've had some shells in there for a few days and no movement yet,

The mat was a custom order from weathertech for my car, it fits in very nicely, it's just the smooth bottom slides against the carpet.

I'll have to say I'm disappointed in this purchase, my rear seat mats also are not anything special, they fit "ok" but for being laser measured and then the plastic bending on the top edge, I'm not impressed,

My front seat floor mats fit very well, they snap into the factory snaps and have held their shape, no complaints there,

Looking at the Husky site recommended above, their mats have "teeth" on the bottom to help hold them in place,
In the picture posted, it is sitting a few inches back. It should go forward and fit snug against the rear bumper lip, no? I'm also considered how it is warping - it should be flat and straight.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the picture posted, it is sitting a few inches back. It should go forward and fit snug against the rear bumper lip, no? I'm also considered how it is warping - it should be flat and straight.
When it is in properly it lines up correctly,
The picture is what I'm experiencing,

when you have weight on top of the mat, after a day/week of driving, the constant stop/starts causes the mat to "slide" to the rear and start warping/rolling up,

part of the problem may be the rear lip on the car is only about 1/4 - 1/2" high and this doesn't provide enough support/stoppage for the mat and it simply glides over and starts rolling upwards,

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe there's an additional thing to consider, for the front seats, there's generally more "connections" to keep them oriented properly, and you tend to be pushing or moving your feet forward. That is how/why my F150 mats kept moving forward and under the gas pedal.

In the rear seats and cargo area, all movement and weight tend to be rearward, and without anything to keep it in place, such as a hook closer to the front of the cargo area, the weight and movement overwhelm the material.

It's hard to describe those mats. They ARE perfectly fitted, but the material is more "plastic-y" than rubbery, which offers far less friction than the rubberized mats to keep them in place. Without any nubs on the bottom (another rubber mat aid), they are actually quite slippery when you step on them at just the perfect (wrong) angle.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
From the picture, the rear lip looks like much more than 1/4-1/2" - more like 2"... which is kinda of standard (and matches the lip of the mat). Is the thing under the mat down all the way?

Could just put in 4 small screws (1/2"-3/4") through the mat and into the cover under it. With the carpet, the screw holes would be hidden when you remove it.

Could also get something to put in the back of the car with a bit more height to keep it from sliding, maybe something that just sticks up another 1'?

Or anyway you can scuff up the bottom of the mat, or spray something on the bottom, so it has more friction?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Word of warning on the Husky mats, I ordered a set for my new F-150 after having the Weathertech, yes they have the nubs on the back BUT the material/feeling was much "cheaper" feeling than the WT. I pulled them out of the box, and put them back immediately and returned them. Very plasticy, thin, not happy at all. Ordered another Weathertech set and haven't looked back. Admittedly no cargo liner here, but the front mats clip in and the rear have not budged an inch after 6 months of use with kids, dog, etc.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an update and thank you to all that replied,

The lip between the floor and the hatch edge is about only 1/2"
20201022_162814.jpg

I used some gorilla glue on the back of some velcro strips, after a week i tried to pull the mat up and it appears the glue did not bond although it was sticky enough to hold the mat in place against the velcro that it's not sliding anymore, if this fails i think I'd try the velcro rivited to the mat next

This was after 2-3 weeks of heavy use, almost no movement

20201022_162833.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to report no further issues, the Velcro/gorilla glue must be holding enough to keep it in place,
would love the have that front edge hold down better for aesthetics but just so glad it's not sliding/rolling up anymore,