• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will a 2019 Yamaha handle better than the old models in low speeds

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had the original cobra jet fins and it feels similar at slow speeds but the lateral thrusters help when I can remember what way to turn the wheel and witch throttle to use to get the back to swing in . I find most of the control is from using the shifter from neutral to forward and an occasional reverse
Remember the throttle lever points the way the stern is going to travel. The left throttle handle points right. Turn wheel right, use the handle that points right, stern will go right. Opposite applies for left.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
People do use them on the 2019 models all the time never had a single issue to date keep in mind the reverse thrust is NOT going out the side at a 90 degree angle it is more like a45 degree angle aimed down as well as out so the fins or fangs do not cause an issue they seem to interact in a positive way
Fyi, I do not like the reverse with the fins on my 2019 SX190. So I have raised them to the 1 and 2 position. It marginally reduced low speed steering but it has put the reverse back to how I like it. I wish there was an optional fin shape. I would definitely buy it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Fyi, I do not like the reverse with the fins on my 2019 SX190. So I have raised them to the 1 and 2 position. It marginally reduced low speed steering but it has put the reverse back to how I like it. I wish there was an optional fin shape. I would definitely buy it.
Interesting, my steering systems except for the viper series have adjustments so that you can set them to the level that suits your boating needs. So that's a good thing, you set the fins to the setting you prefer because you can, everyone is different.
That being said the super fins have a larger surface that is out of the water on plane and all the way in when off plane .
So setting the fins back further would do nothing to slow speed influence as the fins are all the way in the water the only effect it would have is the amount of fin making contact with the water at planning speed.

@Cambo As for learning the throttle lever points on any twin engine jet boat with independent levers, if you learn that technique you don't need any additional steering to rotate the boat to either side , use the controls and you can creep forward or stand still or go try it on a stock twin engine jet boat people have been doing that for many years.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So setting the fins back further would do nothing to slow speed influence as the fins are all the way in the water the only effect it would have is the amount of fin making contact with the water at planning speed.
Settings fins back/raising them reduces the surface area below the boat bottom / ride plane which marginally (small) impacts flow across fins. I believe that is what I am experiencing. Also, I would like full effect at speed. I am happy that fins are adjustable and the current situation is significantly better than stock.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am going to chime in here. I have a 2019 AR195. I believe that slow speed forward is much better,controlled, with the Cobra Jet Fangs on. I do agree with mwalker4, I think reverse, lateral thrust speaking, is actual better without the Cobra Jet Fangs. I feel it would be perfect if the fins were cut out for the new lateral thrust bucket of 2019. I may do as mwalker4 and play with some settings. I just don't really want to take anything away from the low speed forward control. Just my 2 cents. :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So here is what you do lift the fins up and see how the reverse steers compared to how it steers with the fins down at the recommended setting for your boat, remember your nozzles do not have any lateral thrust they have a 45 degree thrust not 90 and they shoot the water down at an angle not horizontally so the water exiting the nozzles is not really being effected negatively by having the fins set at the setting I tell you to use when you install the system. Position 4 and 5 for the actuator so that is 1 setting above fully deployed.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So here is what you do lift the fins up and see how the reverse steers compared to how it steers with the fins down at the recommended setting for your boat, remember your nozzles do not have any lateral thrust they have a 45 degree thrust not 90 and they shoot the water down at an angle not horizontally so the water exiting the nozzles is not really being effected negatively by having the fins set at the setting I tell you to use when you install the system. Position 4 and 5 for the actuator so that is 1 setting above fully deployed.
Yes I guess I'm just crazy and I am imagining it all.