• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wish Me Luck!

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So very happy for you...both wife and dog look pleased to be on the water again. I know you are too!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So how would you compare the 1.8L engines to your previous MR1's?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@octavio3311 , they are smoother, quieter, hold rpm better, and te sound
Pitch is nice. I haven't done much WOT yet except to verify it would and backed off. Still breaking in.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
This thread has had to have set some kind of record for responses to a non pinned thread, or for the most active for a 10 day period or something!!!! It is AWESOME!! The number of people who have congratulated @txav8r on his new boat, I know I have followed along since the first post and have felt like I was going through the whole process with him, just one more reason I love this forum...:D Congrats!! Again Mel.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@JC6275 , I can not tell you what my Yamaha forum friends have meant to me over the years. This place and the one before...it has always been the members, friends, and screen names that we all talk to, that brings us back. It has NEVER been the management of a forum or the rules or control. It has been OUR forum. I appreciate the relationships I have and will continue to have because I saw a Yamaha boat one day, and googled it. Sure, it took me to YJB, and I gave a bunch of my time and money to that site (many of us have), thinking I was helping you. I learned eventually what I should have known all along. It is the membership that makes our jetboat club what it is. It isn't me, Bruce, or Julian, Murf, or OperationROL...it is YOU!

It IS fun! I get the same thrill when any one of you has a new mod or even a baby! I have lived the last 5 or 6 years knowing so many of you guys and gals...thank you for letting me walk along the journey with all of you! I am a lucky guy to get to enjoy these boats with you, along with the support network we have! I say me and yes, I mean it is my network...just like it is YOUR network! Thank God the membership didn't die when control became more important than the member back at the other place. And I want to say...Thank you all for having the courage to move out of your comfort zone, and come to jetboaters.net! Because what we are doing here is insuring the future and support of our boats. And along the way, we enjoy all of these friendships...what a bonus!

I can tell you, that you guys that are new to either YJB or Jetboaters.net, you are in an exclusive club. I have never known the online friendships and had the help that I have seen guys give, that they give freely here. And I have also seen some pretty deep wounds heal as a result of Jetboaters.net. I am hoping that when you have a special event or purchase coming up, that I read about it and have a chance to walk along with you as your excitement builds. I have noticed over the years, I get into a project and so enjoy sharing it with all of you guys. I can tell you, you guys have saved me money, and aggravation so many times. It is these threads, where there is plenty of discussion and participation, that gets us all involved. That is where we discover what we should do instead of what we first thought! For me, it is this forum group, whether where it was before, or here and now, that showed me, that I had given up my love of boating and my love of Yamaha boats in general. I know these boats, I love these boats, and I can say once again, I HAVE one of these boats! Thanks for helping to make this journey possible for me!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a way to close the thread.....LOL it ain't gonna' close!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well said Mel.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Maybe I need to add some of the stuff I am doing then, instead of starting new threads on them. I have a thread started on the stereo upgrade...that I didn't intend to do right now! IT IS ALL YA'LLS FAULT! LOL. I am doing the upgrade. And...get this! I never did modify my bow roller on my 230, because it never, not even once, marked up my hull. Now I have this new Shorelander, which I think is a fabulous trailer, but the "poly bow roller" is flat out leaving poly all over the bow hull! So I immediately bought a new Stoltz Bow Roller and changed it. Check this out!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Damn!!! That was not just a guy typing something for a response NO! NO! ,That was a peek inside a mans mind, a small view of what he thinks, and feels, dare I say a small window into another's soul.... Thank you Mel, and everyone else who made this site possible, I hope to forge the kind of friendships you speak of...I seems some are beginning to take shape.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I also have to have more organization so I am after that head compartment MUY RAPIDO! First order of bidness...shoe organizers!
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also ordered 3 new pieces of Hydro-turf to go in the boat. I ordered the same color as is stock in the 2012 SX 240...mocha brown. Will Owen at jetboatpilot.com has the stuff and can custom cut what you want or has pieces that you may want already in stock. I wanted the bow step piece, the cockpit seat/step piece, and the walk thru piece that covers the slick gelcoat where you or a loved one may step and slip. They have already shipped! I will probably get them, before I get the hydro-turf, which is chalking badly, replaced! New boat, should be new hydro-turf...so I will get it warrantied. Toby Blackney is going to bat for me over at Phil Dill Boats in Lewisville, Texas! The selling dealer, Dick Lane's, in Ketchum, Oklahoma, was more than willing to handle that for me, but a matter of 280 miles each way...well, thank you Jeff and Jenny for allowing me to get my local dealer to step in and take care of it!

I have a Slide Box Anchor that should show up at the house this week. I have fenders and dockline coming. As I have heard some of you guys say before...Christmas in May! Other than the stereo upgrade...these things are a necessity in my book!...and in my boat! I gotta tell you, that 240 is NICE! Any of you guys with 230's want to go out, gimme a call! Speaking of...I have a 20 hour layover in LA by the airport later this month! Hint hint @itsdgm @Brmorganjr and any of you other guys in Calif. @DawgDaze and @Suchawittygal , you guys don't have to drive 1.5 hours over there (but would love to see you guys...hopefully, I will get an SNA layover in the next few months. I don't get in until around 4:30pm and leave around 1:30pm the next day. So probably not a lake day/evening, but maybe let me buy you a beer and sit and chat?

Attachments

Miller_Time

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe I need to add some of the stuff I am doing then, instead of starting new threads on them. I have a thread started on the stereo upgrade...that I didn't intend to do right now! IT IS ALL YA'LLS FAULT! LOL. I am doing the upgrade. And...get this! I never did modify my bow roller on my 230, because it never, not even once, marked up my hull. Now I have this new Shorelander, which I think is a fabulous trailer, but the "poly bow roller" is flat out leaving poly all over the bow hull! So I immediately bought a new Stoltz Bow Roller and changed it. Check this out!
View attachment 5340
View attachment 5341
View attachment 5342
The stock roller is a complete piece of junk! I can't believe they cheapen up a nice trailer with such a cheap roller. I had marks on the hull first time out. Swapping out the roller was my first "mod".

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r .LAX is like driving around the block for us. Just text me with the exact date and we will try to make it for sure!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I will Danny.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to see you fell off the wagon @txav8r. I know you've been struggling with modaholism. Hopefully after a few more mod binges you can get back on straight WATER with your boat. How's the wife enjoying the new boat?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We have only been on the water once @Gym . She commented on how much smoother it was in rough water. And liked the extra bow room. We sat for half an hour on the swim deck and discussed its merits too. Overall, we love the boat!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice. Glad to hear that Mel.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r :

Mel;

I have to ask this question very, very carefully. As the owner of a 2009 230, how do they compare? Do I NEED to upgrade?

;););)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@leeatmg . You know Lee, I never really saw a need to add additional debt or expense. After selling the boat, and discovering what a mistake that was for me, my perspective changed of course. As I looked at the classic MR-1HO boats of '08 and '09, to try and find a replacement, I was looking at all the available options, issues, improvements, and trade-offs that I would get if I did not compare to the newer 1.8L version. For me, there was a few "must have" items in a boat, and especially in a newer version of the same. Either way, I knew it was going to be another Yamaha if I didn't go toward a cruiser of some sort.

As I compared the MR-1 classic 230 to the 1.8L 240...at first, it was only a difference of 6 inches. And, I didn't like the pickle fork bow, the higher step up on the swim deck, or the deeper two level head compartment. It is funny how impressions are. I saw all of those as negatives, until I spent some time with each of those features. That bow area also seemed like a waist of storage space to me. It does give me more room up there for lounging, but storage is about the same because they did away with the bow ice chest. The added room isn't available for storage much because the design gives you several different setup capabilities with the rumble seat config or the standard full seating in the bow. The only negative I now see is having to remove the center cushion of 3 to remove the large aft one. But the wider opening with both removed makes bulky items easy to accommodate. The third cushion covering the foot well of the rumble seat gives you a nice place to store shoes out of the way. Also, the step in the bow is a nice touch and makes egress easier. The ladder up front has got to go IMO.

The engines, at least on this boat, are smooth and quiet compared to the MR-1. The top out in the 7000+ rpm range, I am not yet certain what the max rpm is exactly. It isn't specified in either the service or owners manual. I have read it on the forum but can't seem to find comments on that. But that lower rpm, combined with a noticeable difference in sound pitch, makes for a much quieter boat at low speed operation. At cruise, it is not quite as loud but still a boat. I haven't seen WOT enough yet to determine an impression. I am still in break-in. It has seen 53mph on the gps speed, and hooks up fast. But the engine control is more responsive and less lag than the MR-1. It also seems to have much more stable throttle positioning without the slipping. I can set 2000, 3000, 4000, etc., and it stays where I put it for the most part. The 3 speed no wake mode, at 1600, 2000, 2400 rpm's is NICE. As is the TDE, thrust directional enhancement?. It is more than a change in reverse gate position apparently, it seems to add instant control compared to other positions. So the slow speed handling is apparent and MUCH better. The cruise assist, an 8 position up and 8 position down rpm hold, that allows you to match throttles above 2000rpm I think and below 7000 rpm. And then have the 8 settings up and 8 down from that position, at 150 rpm intervals with the touch of a button. That is a nice feature too, and I used it right off the bat, just fine tuning a speed that didn't beat us up crossing big wave sets on a rough lake. Speaking of ride...it is a much better ride on rough water for sure. I used to have to cross large cresting wave sets at an angle to keep from pounding down into the trough on the 230. The extra hull must do something, because what used to be harder and slower, seems to be much smoother on big water. Lets be realistic and realize I have an hour in this boat! But it definitely has a bigger boat ride than the 230.

The larger separation between the two levels of the swim deck bothered me until I spent some time in the boat. I thought it wasn't as easy to jump in and out when in the barn and working on it, and that it would be the same on the water. I discovered it IS easier to board both from the water as well as the ground, because it is lower! And that step difference doesn't even seem to matter in 10 minutes. Being closer to the water will make a huge difference getting in/out vs the higher platform on the 230. Getting into the clean out tray is easier for the same reason. Bottom line, the swim deck is better.

The head compartment change will have to play out. I have not seen the change as better yet. It is lower and provides better visibility across the bow. But it is deeper to step into, and while that may give more headroom, and it does, it isn't going to be a changing room or potty room for us. I will store a lugable loo in there that we will move outside to use. But the door is more in the middle of that room instead of off to the left side, and that doesn't leave room for my table storage mod in the same place I had it on the 230. But there is also more room in that compartment than the 230 by a few square inches it seems. The stepped floor creates issues for me so far, but I haven't learned to use it yet. I will be adding storage mods in here and get more use out of it. I have already added the shoe organizers to both the left (aft) and right (fore) walls. The biggest negative of this compartment is a door that only opens 90 degrees vs swinging all the way open and laying flat against the bow seat area.

The helm compartment door is wider, and I may actually be able to get into it...maybe. It has a curtain that covers the back of the helm gauges and electronics, which is nice. The different bow configuration makes this space bigger and connected to the bow, so many irregular shaped items may fit there. I am intending to store my cushions in there and seems to work. The bow now has two larger cushions instead of just one for filler, and several ways to use them instead of just filler. You can use one as a seat bottom and the other as a backrest in the bow and make 3 across seating with back rests, along with the rumble seat config, that would give room for 3 adults and 2 kids all facing forward on the go. Conventionally configured, it can easily accommodate 4 adults. The boat is certified for 11 passengers...are they nuts?

The vinyl appears nicer and the interior trim and carpet color (mocha) is more appealing to me. All the hydroturf on mine is mocha as well vs the old gray/black. The cockpit has answered a few questions that many have either created mods for or complained about. It has a glove box! And more cupholders, as well as a storage bin on the port and starboard sides. And the top of the head compartment, as well as the ledge on the helm, has hydroturf installed.

The trailer, Shorelandr. Although I already had to change the cheap poly bow roller that was scuffing the bow, it is a better trailer than the MFI it seems. It has skid pad on the LED lights, so it is a great place combined with the lower swim deck, to step up without the need of a ladder! The bow winch has a cover and needs some turf to use it as a step as well, but it is sturdy enough. This trailer is much more rigid and beefier than the MFI. The wiring and brake line don't need an immediate mod to fold the tongue. But...the bow stop post moves, just like the MFI. And the real issue, is that you don't want to weld this one to stop it, because if you need to change a roller or jack, you need to move it. Adjustments are easy. But it has some slop that allows the whole thing to pivot, and I need to find a fix for that. The rest of the movement, I will have to live with.

Overall Lee, if you want a new boat, there are reasons to upgrade. But if you still love your 230, the reasons are many as to what makes that a great boat too! Sorry to be dangling the bait here, it is indeed a nice boat however!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"But...the bow stop post moves, just like the MFI. And the real issue, is that you don't want to weld this one to stop it, because if you need to change a roller or jack, you need to move it. Adjustments are easy. But it has some slop that allows the whole thing to pivot, and I need to find a fix for that. The rest of the movement, I will have to live with."

@txav8r, I wonder if through bolting this might be the answer? That way you can remove the bolts if you need to.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Good luck, Mel! I'd be jealous of the new model and I love that Yacht Blue.