• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wish Me Luck!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
On another note...this is the first dirty martini I have ever made! Pretty good...too much vermouth, but very drinkable!
image.jpg
On second thought, that is pretty damn good! There might not be a thing wrong with that!
3 oz Ketel One
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz olive brine
3 Spanish olives
Shaken, not stirred, in a cocktail shaker with cocktail ice, and poured off in a chilled and frosted martini glass.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found it in an aerosol cans at Advanced for $10. I coated all the nuts, bolts and clamps in my clean out compartment with it, I hope it does not attack my hoses! Time will tell if that was an oops moment or not.

I use T9 to coat everything in the engine compartment and still suffer corrosion, but, I do sometimes run out and forget to take a new can to the boat and I miss spraying it down every few trips.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, your in salt water too Ed, and I am in fresh. I thought it was amazing on a brand new boat, never been used, just stored as it was shipped, and those clamps are rusting! I wish they made those same clamps in SS, I would spring for it. But the real trauma is in changing them all, not in buying them. So I hope they get replaced. I say hope, I am confident they will, but it is one of those things that you never know. And it is hard to ask the dealer supporting me to stand behind something Yamaha won't, when I didn't buy the boat from them. Phil Dill is a great dealer and they go above and beyond, but that would be asking too much...I just appreciate them going to bat for me.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they had a battery in the boat for a long time, that would do the same.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If they had a battery in the boat for a long time, that would do the same.
agreed! But they don't deliver these boats with batteries, and the Continental they put in has a fresh date, so I guess it isn't that. But maybe they put in another one and left it in there? Who knows...I just know the dang shipping cover won't breath a lick.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf are you saying the battery would corrode or that that battery would cause the corrosion?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
He is saying that batteries that off gas or vent an oxidizer will cause corrosion if not properly ventilated. The primary reason I prefer an AGM battery, secondary reason is spillage. Venting an acidic oxidizer isn't good for anything, especially when covered in a cover that won't breath.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The offgassing of the battery would send corrosive fumes into the boat which wouldn't be able to be evacuated. causing corrosion on metal parts. Same thing happens when you charge your battery, the battery speed corrosive gases.

I agree Mel, that these boats are delivered without batteries. But this dealer Had this boat for so long it just seems maybe they prepped it for delivery and then kept it without selling it. It's just a possibility.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your right @Murf'n'surf , they told me they didn't, said they rolled the cover back exactly once to show it, and never even put it in the water until the week before I was coming to get it. But you really don't know.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r .. What is the history of your boat? I mean before you bought it where was it. Did the dealer you bought it from take delivery from some other dealer. Maybe a dealer or storage facility on the east coast. Like an area that was hurricane ravaged or flooded for a period of time. I know I have seen quite a few used cars that have obviously been in high water.. Salt water.. Just asking as your condition just seams bad.. Sorry for the pain here.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is in excellent condition, looks immaculate. Just those few items. The engine compartment is immaculate with exception of the clamps and then the hydroturf. They are the original dealer delivered to, in Oklahoma. He said he still had it because of his own ego, that he felt he shouldn't have to sell it the second season for less than a '13, so it didn't sell. And he wasn't going to let it go for less than $2K off the original msrp...we just managed to somehow get on the same page. I saw the history, it was delivered to them and never titled or registered with Yamaha until I registered it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They also warrantied the scuff marks from the bow roller (I had already replaced the roller with the stolz), they fixed the bow stop post that was moving by installing shims between the bolts and the frame bottom, the warrantied the void in the gelcoat that I fixed, but PD felt it should be grinded out as they thought there was more to the void, and they replaced a bow filler cushion that was nicked. Other than the clamps, any brand new boat could have these issues if it sat uncovered on the dealers lot. Mine was covered, and that caused another set of issues.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r Hi Mel, I'm relatively new here and have been enjoying the good info on the forum. Congrats on the new boat! I just got my AR240 2013 this May. I've had it out a few times. Its a great boat. Thanks for sharing stuff on your boat and what you have done. I also want to thank everyone here who has contributed such great info for newbies like me. Its not just about saving $$$ on things but finding out how to work on your boat that is so helpful. I've been to the other site and this one is just Fing aweseome compared to that one.

Mel, I read a previous post by you about wiring the LED lights on the guide ons. You had trouble feeding the wire. I bought a wire guide a long time ago that comes on a reel. Its for feeding wire through walls. It can bend somewhat but is firm enough to pull wire. Just some info to add if you have to feed wire in the future. And how do the lights fit on the posts? I have the LED lights but I haven't put them on yet. I couldn't figure out how they fit if the PVC poles are supposed to rotate.

Cheers to you Mel from a brother aviator. I'm on the 11 in Anc working for FX.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, another av8r! We'll be takin' over pretty soon! :cool:

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gentlemen, don't store your boat under the shipping cover, it does not breath. This was a dry boat, imagine a used boat that has moisture in it.
Naw, I don't agree one bit! A boat properly stored and or winterized with a Turbo Heater/Dry Air Heater, throw in a Damp Rid, covered with the shipping cover will winter just fine. I did this with great success for seven Virginia winters with my 230 and this past winter with my 240. Now if you don't have power for a heater and a carport to keep the elements off then I might have a different opinion ;)

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My storage cover has vents. Did they get rid of them or did yours still have the styrofoam circles in them?

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On another note...this is the first dirty martini I have ever made! Pretty good...too much vermouth, but very drinkable!
View attachment 6992
On second thought, that is pretty damn good! There might not be a thing wrong with that!
3 oz Ketel One
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz olive brine
3 Spanish olives
Shaken, not stirred, in a cocktail shaker with cocktail ice, and poured off in a chilled and frosted martini glass.
The pic didn't come up the first time I read that post... Very nice!

The wife makes killer Margaritas... We will occasionally take a few on the boat and put them in Mountain Dew bottles. Had to be careful cause the kid would pull one out of the cooler thinking it was a Dew... So we call 'em Mountain Dont's...

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cwoav8r Threes Company, you me , Mel, right? Who else is here that is in the flying business?

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pic didn't come up the first time I read that post... Very nice!

The wife makes killer Margaritas... We will occasionally take a few on the boat and put them in Mountain Dew bottles. Had to be careful cause the kid would pull one out of the cooler thinking it was a Dew... So we call 'em Mountain Dont's...
Funny

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We had a high percentage on the previous forum too, we are missing a few brethren if you guys want to go collect them. Captnkev is MIA and we need to get him here. He is a 76 CA for Hawaiian, lives in HNL, and boats out on the big blue water. Glad to have you here Noko. You guys fly some long trips from up there! You commute from WI? That has to be a big commute! Thanks for the kind words...were all in this together! On the poles...I am guessing you have VEVE guides and not the C.E.Smith guides. The LED tops are sold by Smith for the Smith guides. If they will fit on the VeVe's, you will have to stop the rotation and just mount them so they don't turn. Yes, I used a fish tape, actually two different fish tapes that I have. The bend in the square tubing squeezes the tubing so small in the bend, even that small flat fish tape was getting caught. I had to pull a masons nylon line through the tubing with a shop vac to put the wiring through. I'm not sure about the VeVe's tubing, but the Smith is really narrow in that bend. Thanks for looking out for me, chances are, we won't know all the tricks and everyday, I learn a new one...at least one, if not more! I have two fish tapes (flat steel that wraps up on a reel) and a set of fiberglass wire pulling/pushing rods. The rods are great but won't pull through a tight 1" square tube bend!
image_16779.jpg