• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wish Me Luck!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My storage cover has vents. Did they get rid of them or did yours still have the styrofoam circles in them?
The 230 and the 240 shipping covers, just like the mooring covers have vents.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Skysurfer2010 , @k9medic , and there are more...but I can't think at the moment. We have a bunch of aviators, but they may not fly for a living.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The vents are not for ventilation, they are to suction the cover onto the boat during travel. The cover itself has to breath and the shipping covers are vinyl coated on fleece...they do not breath @Rigger .

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I like that...Mountain Don'ts! lol

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Rigger , I am not saying it won't get any air, just not enough. It is pretty obvious that a 2 year old boat with chalking but not sun faded turf, and rusting clamps but everything else looking good. It has much to do with the shipping cover storage, humidity in NE Okla, and possibly a battery in the boat just like @Murf'n'surf pointed out. Many guys have said not to use that shipping cover for storage over the years, including me, but this is the first damage I think I can directly contribute to it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And not too many folks would be putting in damp rid and fans while suffering through a summer. That is when the real humidity challenge comes, not in the winter. But hey, sounds like you set up and plan for air circulation, most won't. Just like is being commented on..."doesn't it have vents"? The 4 square inches of those vents total is not enough ventilation for a cover that won't breath one drop of air. Even the mooring and trailering cover will produce a wet environment under it on a hot and humid day if there is enough humidity under the cover or in the air outside it (raining). This is a new boat that was not put into service, those are not supposed to be wet inside to produce that kind of reaction. Many would argue it is a boat...but that just isn't the way I care for mine and I am not saying anyone is wrong...just advising what I have discovered.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I did kinda get off an an aviation related tangent, Mel's sig pic reminded me of some sunset pics I had... another day at the beach... er... work sometimes I can't tell the difference.

EOH_8899.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You would have to say the view from our offices is pretty incredible, wouldn't you?

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wis is the summer/winter retirement house. Living full time in AK for now. Yeah, I've got the VeVe guides and the Smith lights. Are there VeVe lights and do they allow the PVC posts to turn?

The wire guide I have is on a reel and will bend around some corners. Its about 1/8 wide and flat with a hook at the end. I don't know if it will work around tight corners on the trailer. Rereading your post, it looks like you have something similar to what I have.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know about the VeVe's and if they have lights. I wanted lights and the first guides I ever bought were the smiths with lights. So when I bought more, I knew what I wanted...but admittedly, the VeVe's are a stronger steel support than the Smiths. I rationalize that stronger isn't better, because if something has to give, I want it to be the post and not the boat! But I admit this is a rationalization...but I would live with flimsy whoop aerials if they had lights. It is the lights that make the setup perfect!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And not too many folks would be putting in damp rid and fans while suffering through a summer. That is when the real humidity challenge comes, not in the winter. But hey, sounds like you set up and plan for air circulation, most won't. Just like is being commented on..."doesn't it have vents"? The 4 square inches of those vents total is not enough ventilation for a cover that won't breath one drop of air. Even the mooring and trailering cover will produce a wet environment under it on a hot and humid day if there is enough humidity under the cover or in the air outside it (raining). This is a new boat that was not put into service, those are not supposed to be wet inside to produce that kind of reaction. Many would argue it is a boat...but that just isn't the way I care for mine and I am not saying anyone is wrong...just advising what I have discovered.
I don't use any fan/heater or Damp Rid during the season either. In fact honestly the mooring cover I have seems to breaths less than the shipping cover. I would say any cover given your situation would probably produce what has unfortunately happened in your case. I was refuting your blanket statement about not to use the shipping cover for storage. Good advise, sure, but certainly not the be all to end all as my reading your post implied...this is just what I have discovered.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yep, it is a blanket statement, that cover won't breath. But, your right, even the mooring cover has its limitations. Guess when you buy a new boat, you better make sure it is so new that it hasn't been stored yet if you expect perfection. All is well, I can get it back to perfect. If your using the shipping cover during winter, and the M/T during the season, I can see why you might think the M/T doesn't breath any better. Heat and humidity around the Potomac is heavy duty in the summer, and if it is outside and covered, it is humid under any cover. Can't say enough for storing inside.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want a barn. It would make life so much easier. Envious for sure of yours.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have the book to help you build one, and happy to share...when your ready! Thank you. Your right, it makes life easier. If I had that to do over again...I would build it bigger! lol

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know about the VeVe's and if they have lights. I wanted lights and the first guides I ever bought were the smiths with lights. So when I bought more, I knew what I wanted...but admittedly, the VeVe's are a stronger steel support than the Smiths. I rationalize that stronger isn't better, because if something has to give, I want it to be the post and not the boat! But I admit this is a rationalization...but I would live with flimsy whoop aerials if they had lights. It is the lights that make the setup perfect!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/oh-shit-in-west-marine-with-time-to-kill.1922/page-2#post-30298

VeVe's guides with ce smith lights on top in this thread. VeVe's saved me arse this past weekend.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@0627Devildog Yes. I saw that thread and had been reading, but missed your install so thanks for the link! Looks good andI couldn't agree more! Did you install the guides so they wouldn't turn?

@Murf'n'surf , the boats are widest midship. So extending beyond the edge of the trailer frame generally won't pass the 8.5' limit. Probably not going to see anyone measure it to see if you are a few inches wide or not, but you are indeed right that 8.5' on a boat trailer without oversized permits will be too wide. I set mine right at 8.5' between the posts, so I too am wide by the thickness of the posts I suspect.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r the C.E. Smith kit comes with a cross bolt to install so they don't turn.

Last edited: