• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 27'?

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right here-------> ME PLEASE!!!

Now, speaking well within my zone of ignorance, I would really like a 28 foot with all of the
242 L S E features.
please let me know when you are ready to sale your brand new boat....

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
http://www.searay.com/page.aspx/pageid/160944/pmid/366038/SDX-270.aspx
Sea ray 27' boat.
8'6" beam, 5659 dry weight
300-380hp
I would think if sea ray could do that, Yamaha could do it cheaper and lighter with jets.
Probably still about 5000 lbs.
It would certainly be worth some of the small upgrades like intake, filter and anything else to make it stronger and more fuel efficient.
This sea ray listed at 100,000 depending on options of course.
The Yamaha would need to be 80k to really be competitive.
Top speed of the sea ray with 300 hp was 44 mph according to boattest.com
The Yamaha with twin 180 hp would probably be just about there but maybe faster if they can keep the weight down.
If they do something like this sea ray, I would need a few more years to see what my kids like more, cruising or surfing.
If it looks like we are going the cruising route, I would probably purchase slightly used pretty quick.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sea ray 27' boat.
300-380hp
I would think if sea ray could do that, Yamaha could do it cheaper and lighter with jets.
It would certainly be worth some of the small upgrades like intake, filter and anything else to make it stronger and more fuel efficient.
The Yamaha with twin 180 hp would probably be just about there but maybe faster if they can keep the weight down.
If they do something like this sea ray, I would need a few more years to see what my kids like more, cruising or surfing.
If it looks like we are going the cruising route, I would probably purchase slightly used pretty quick.
This is my favorite boat out right now in the outboard model. Problem is sure Yamaha could come out with something to try and compete with this but honestly based on Yamaha's current pricing they would likely be priced close to 90-100K for this boat which would put them fairly close to the price point of the Sea Ray but the quality of that Sea Ray is so far above and beyond what the Yamaha boats are that even if they were 10 grand less then the Sea Ray I don't think they could compete with it. The real problem when you start getting into that 100K price range shoppers who are looking in that price range are not as concerned about saving a few grand on a cheaper boat versus making sure the quality level is exceptional and that the boat has all the unique features they want. With Yamaha's current quality specs on the the hull and finishes also with their more cookie cutter approach of no special orders or features I just don't think they would be competitive in this market.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Sea Ray is more fuel efficient though despite being much heavier. The quality of the Sea Ray's are very nice. I crawled over them at the boat shows and felt like I was sitting on lazy boys. Very comfy! Yamaha would price themselves out trying to compete. They already are for wake boats.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sea ray 27' boat.
300-380hp
26/38” draft. :eek: No thanks.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
26/38” draft. :eek: No thanks.
I guess that would be one upside to the jet.
Along with maintenance.
Thinking about it that out drive has to at least be 200/300 lbs heavier than the jets and the motors probably only slightly lighter than the v8.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not necessarily an upside for jets. Depends on the use if you want/need big draft or not. For an ocean going vessel or big waters you want something below the water surface. To help slice through water, help to hold your heading or give you stability when you turn. In a lightweight jet you can get tossed around, spun around, beat up by waves in rough waters. If that boat had outboards rather than an outdrive the draft wouldn't be near as much and you can always get the outboard high if in skinnier waters. Harder to do with a stern drive.

When/if I go to the dark side of wake boats the draft is something I will have to get used to and one of the things I fear the most. But the trade off for water fun will make it worth it I think.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not necessarily an upside for jets. Depends on the use if you want/need big draft or not. For an ocean going vessel or big waters you want something below the water surface. To help slice through water, help to hold your heading or give you stability when you turn. In a lightweight jet you can get tossed around, spun around, beat up by waves in rough waters. If that boat had outboards rather than an outdrive the draft wouldn't be near as much and you can always get the outboard high if in skinnier waters. Harder to do with a stern drive.

When/if I go to the dark side of wake boats the draft is something I will have to get used to and one of the things I fear the most. But the trade off for water fun will make it worth it I think.
Plenty of good riding, dry boats with a deep V in that length and a draft of 18” or less. (Contender, yellow fin, whitewater etc.) They are all outboards though.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are all sport fishing boats so much lighter than a cabin cruiser. Those boats also have nice deadrise angles to make them slice through the water, plus having trim with outboards helps as well. IMO Yamaha would need to make the hull much more V shaped to contend with smooth offshore riding boats.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those are all sport fishing boats so much lighter than a cabin cruiser. Those boats also have nice deadrise angles to make them slice through the water, plus having trim with outboards helps as well. IMO Yamaha would need to make the hull much more V shaped to contend with smooth offshore riding boats.
I was comparing them to the sea ray 27 deck boat.

The yellowfin 29 offshore weighs 7400 and has an 18” draft loaded. The YF 26 is 5000/16”. Both compare favorable to the sea ray. But with the YF and outboards you give up the swim deck for the better draft.

As usual If draft and a big swim deck are important to you Jet boats still have the advantage.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Who said a 27' is a cabin cruiser?
Someone posted a picture of a 31' overseas version with an outboard. I agree that that is way too much boat for these motors and pumps.
27' open bow. Or perhaps closed but more like a baja/speedboat than a cruiser. At least that is what i would envision them doing.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Better have a massive fuel tank if you're gonna run twin SVHO's :D

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Better have a massive fuel tank if you're gonna run twin SVHO's :D
I don't get it. Scarab offers twin 250 hp supercharged motors and no one batts an eye. Talk about Yamaha doing it it's like the sky is falling

Zach Ahmed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The guys without superchargers cry about fuel. Thats all the got! Im laughing my ass past you! ;P
I dont know what they all talking about. She is sipping on fuel. All day on the water cost me like 30 bucks. I am serious. Running around everywhere.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The guys without superchargers cry about fuel. Thats all the got! Im laughing my ass past you! ;P
I dont know what they all talking about. She is sipping on fuel. All day on the water cost me like 30 bucks. I am serious. Running around everywhere.
Um I have a supercharger :cigar:. Nobody is crying. Just saying the boat will need something more than 50 gallons of you want any (off shore / big water) range. But hey what do I know??? :rolleyes:

Add a couple thousand lbs more and the motors are going to work even harder = less fuel efficient. I'd love to see a twin SVHO. BUT if Yamaha is going to do it expect BIG $$$$ which brings me back to pricing themselves into better bigger boats. Let's not forget Yamaha does not budge much from MSRP unlike most other boat manufacturers and dealers. Would I like to see a big Yamaha? Sure I guess but not really my desires. I'd rather see a true surfing jet boat from the factory.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't get it. Scarab offers twin 250 hp supercharged motors and no one batts an eye. Talk about Yamaha doing it it's like the sky is falling
Geez overreact much? All I said was it better have a bigger fuel tank (than what comes in a 242). What's wrong with that? Hell I'd love to have a 45 or 50 gallon tank in my 192! I don't need it 95% of the time but there are times I'd like to have greater range on the larger lakes or the Gulf without monitoring the fuel gauge throughout the day. Did not imply I wasn't a fan of twin SVHO. In fact if you ever search my older posts I'm sure you'll see me say I'd love to see a twin SVHO .....mainly for shits n giggles to compete with Scarab but also to bring out a true "SuperSport" model. A 27' though I just see no point because it will be more expensive than I think most people would pay for it against stiffer competition but YMMV.

Edit - here's proof I have love for twin SVHO lol Will Yamaha ever build another SS?

Last edited: