• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 27'?

Cobrakidd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not to start the rumor train. But Yamaha has been working on a 27' for a couple of years. Wonder if it will be announced in August at this years dealer meet. I don't know any specs or anything. Id assume you may see the supercharged motors in it, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Funny you mentioned that! Just at the ramp Wednesday a guy mentioned he could go look at the new 26 or 27', but he decided to go with a Chaparral, or something else. I was gonna argue the 242 series was the biggest, but for some reason I didn't, probably cause of the encroaching weather. He was sure it was 26 or bigger...

Cobrakidd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
As of right now I thought the scarab 255 was the biggest but something new is on the horizon. I know yamaha has always been tight lipped about anything coming out. I guess we will find out in August. I live right next to Sea-doo R&D facility, so sometimes I see new stuff at the ramp and some prototype stuff that will never be on the market.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So yamaha had the biggest at 24'.
Scarab went 25'.
So to up the game yamaha goes 26 or 27'.
It would be the next logical step. The question is will it remain profitable?
I would imgine it would need twin supercharged or triple naturally aspirated.
Or outboards.
The more i grow old the outboards would be my second choice to jets due to the flexibility, quietness and efficiency.

In any case, my funds got tapped for 2 years so looking forward to seeing and buying used if they do it!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So yamaha had the biggest at 24'.
Scarab went 25'.
So to up the game yamaha goes 26 or 27'.
It would be the next logical step. The question is will it remain profitable?
I would imgine it would need twin supercharged or triple naturally aspirated.
Or outboards.
The more i grow old the outboards would be my second choice to jets due to the flexibility, quietness and efficiency.

In any case, my funds got tapped for 2 years so looking forward to seeing and buying used if they do it!
I can't see them going with supercharged motors in a larger boat...it would eat gas! I think they'd move up to larger engines and larger pumps.

I agree that outboards would be cool....especially with the covered outboard approach they use in Japan. If they went with a forward facing prop they could also improve their wake capabilities....

That said, there has been talk for years about a larger boat. They have increased their manufacturing footprint in Venore....so who knows?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I can't see them going with supercharged motors in a larger boat...it would eat gas! I think they'd move up to larger engines and larger pumps.

I agree that outboards would be cool....especially with the covered outboard approach they use in Japan. If they went with a forward facing prop they could also improve their wake capabilities....

That said, there has been talk for years about a larger boat. They have increased their manufacturing footprint in Venore....so who knows?
I am sure a bigger model woyld take years from drawing to inception to actual selling.
I don't think they should do outboards at thier level, losing the whole benefit of swim deck design that jets allow.
I have always thought a non stepped cat hull would be perfect for maximum usable space and efficiency but i bet they don't go that route.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamaha isn't going to jump from 24' straight to 27', at least not in a jet boat IMHO. Where is the market asking for such a thing? I just don't see it. They've got plenty they could do to make their current products better designed with more attention to quality assurance before thinking of creating a new boat.

I don't think they should do outboards at thier level, losing the whole benefit of swim deck design that jets allow.
In Japan Yamaha hides/encloses their outboards so you still get a big swim deck.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Zach Ahmed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
wow what boat is that ^^ how big yamaha

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems pretty tall. I wonder how stable it is. Do people go to the beach and boat in Japan for pleasure??? I know there is a certain cultural dislike for getting tan... But i know little about Japanese taste for pleasure boating and the beach.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where is the market asking for such a thing?

Right here-------> ME PLEASE!!!

Now, speaking well within my zone of ignorance, I would really like a 28 foot with all of the
242 L S E features.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About a year ago now a friend of mine had a conversation with a couple Yamaha engineers and they told him they were working on a model to compete with the 25ft Scarab so I do expect a larger boat to be possibly announced this year but it will be in that 25-26 ft range. The last two revamps of the 240 series all got longer then prior generations the 2010’s gained 6 inches the 2015’s gained 6 inches I expect the next to gain 6-12 inches and be called a 250 either way even if it’s a 24’6”

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Right here-------> ME PLEASE!!!

Now, speaking well within my zone of ignorance, I would really like a 28 foot with all of the
242 L S E features.
I agree, I would be in the market for something even bigger if Yamaha built it in the states, but as has been covered many times the current engines/pumps/fuel consumption really limit how big these boats can get with the current power plants.

That being said, I think if Yamaha went bigger it would have to be in the 26-27' range if they could pull it off. No sense in adding another foot to the 242 series unless that becomes the new hull for the 242 and the call it a 252. 26.5' to 27.5' seem like it would be the appropriate range give the other models they already have.

On another note based on my observations here and around the marinas in and around DC, I think Yamaha boats are selling faster than ever. I see multiple 2016-2018 boats on the water and in local marinas where that was never the case before, add that to people here on the forum having a hard time even buying 2018's, it would make sense for Yamaha to test the market with another (larger) model even if they don't sell as many as the current sizes - which is probably similar to what they are seeing with the FSH lineup.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
24 is about as big as I want to trailer. Maybe, maaaaybe, another foot or two. Beyond that I'm wanting something that's in the water all the time, and with my options here, it'd be salt water for a boat that size. Also, I'd expect a triple engine 27' jet to be in the six figure range, and that opens up to a lot more competition. Just my two cents.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yamaha isn't going to jump from 24' straight to 27', at least not in a jet boat IMHO. Where is the market asking for such a thing? I just don't see it. They've got plenty they could do to make their current products better designed with more attention to quality assurance before thinking of creating a new boat.

In Japan Yamaha hides/encloses their outboards so you still get a big swim deck.

View attachment 74266 View attachment 74267
And why does 27' mean it needs to be a big cabin cruiser with 10' beam?
I bet it would just be a bigger 242.
I would love a closed bow personally but i see many other companies dropping it for large day boat open bow.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I predict a 25 to 26 footer that they call a 270.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I predict a 25 to 26 footer that they call a 270.
270 and 280 have always been nice calibers.:cigar:

I agree, I would be in the market for something even bigger if Yamaha built it in the states, but as has been covered many times the current engines/pumps/fuel consumption really limit how big these boats can get with the current power plants.
I wonder how much displacement the current engine could fit, boring a 1.8 to 2 or even 2.5 should not be out of question.

Are the current pumps at max ability or would their performance increase with increase HP?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also keep in mind that many small to moderate lakes have length regulations so that means the market would be for larger bodies of water such as big rivers, reservoirs, bay and offshore use. Considering how expensive these boats have become over the years they would likely cost as much a other more specific boats that may be better suited for a 26+ boat. Outboards are getting nice fuel range as well so just don't see a large jet boat being cost effective when the pricing will put them up there with much stiffer competition than Scarab. Just IMO of course. Don't get me wrong I love jet boats but there is a limit. I think there's just more they could do to improve their entire boat line than adding yet another layer to the cake.

And why does 27' mean it needs to be a big cabin cruiser with 10' beam?
I bet it would just be a bigger 242.
I would love a closed bow personally but i see many other companies dropping it for large day boat open bow.
I wasn't saying they had to do a cabin cruiser. I was just pointing out there are ways to have outboards and a swim deck.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
270 and 280 have always been nice calibers.:cigar:

I wonder how much displacement the current engine could fit, boring a 1.8 to 2 or even 2.5 should not be out of question.

Are the current pumps at max ability or would their performance increase with increase HP?
They have the bigger svho pumps available. The skis usually get tech before us