• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR190 Articulating Keel

jims190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi! I just purchased a used 2017 Yamaha AR190. Much to my surprise, I noticed my new (used) boat was missing the articulating keel! I somehow must have missed it when doing my pre-purchase inspection, and being new to jet boats, didn't know what to expect during the lake test. However, it does have Cobra Fins installed. Do you think I will get noticeable better turning if I add the keel back? Reason for asking is the replacement set-up runs about $500 for the keel and miscellaneous parts involved. Thanks in advance for any advice!

leave it the way it is

Agree put 500 into something else

Yeap. If you've got fins on it, I doubt you'll see a huge improvement with the keel. I have the keel and no fins on the same boat. It's still very "slippery" back there, and IMO the Keel doesn't do a whole lot to help. More sizzle than steak IMO.

Maybe I'll remove mine for a trip and see how it does just to test?!?!?!

Thanks, 2kwik4u! I have 30 years on a Sport Nautique, and just switched to the Yamaha about a month ago, so definitely a rookie at jets. First thing I did was add Jeff's Cobra Fins. By the way, thanks Jeff, for walking me through the installation! Probably a hassle to remove the keel, but let me know if you do and the results! For now I'll just stick with the Fins...

I get orders from a few 19 foot boats every year that either struck something or lost the pin that holds the rudder to the keel. They do not replace the rudder and do not need it ,if you have the super ultimate system or the deluxe version with the plaining surface you don't need to return the original rudder You can also add the forward leading mega fangs to that system for even more control at all speeds in forward and reverse. I also get orders from people that smashed their keel and broke it on oyster beds or rocks and just trim it to clean it up and leave it with just the Cobra steering because it is spring loaded adjustable and upgradeable. So unlike the original rudder with the cobra steering if you hit something the fins flip up and then come back down

I removed the articulating keel on my 242. Granted I have fins….but haven’t noticed a difference.

Back