• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Articulating Keel

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
While walking the lot yesterday I noticed that the 255XD didn't have an articulating keel. I may be wrong since I was more focused on the XD, but I don’t feel like any of the 255 models had them.

Which models have the articulating keel now and which don’t? I feel like that was a big + in the past on my 242. Any ideas as to why they went way from it? New Drive X reverse bucket design not work well with it?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I noticed from pictures that any of the jet drives that have the ability to independently steer the jet nozzles for directional control Drive X and I would think the the Helm master on the 255 FSH models wouldn’t have it either. But I could be wrong on the 255 FSH H model.

just went and checked the app and both the 255 XD and the 255 FSH H show the articulating keel. Know what’s worse than no information? Bad information.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I should probably get the app.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I looked at a parts diagram and it was hilarious one nozzle showed the normal nozzle and reverse the other showed a new round nozzle and a duel reverse bucket used on the boats that do not have rudders so I assume that is an error I believe several boats have done away with the Achilleas keel and gone to independent throttle control and a steering wheel so it probably has the x drive. or something similar 2024 Yamaha 255XD (BPT1800GA) Jet Unit 2 | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House the first one is probably wrong and this one is the new style 2024 Yamaha 255XD (BPT1800GA) Jet Unit 1 | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I looked at a parts diagram and it was hilarious one nozzle showed the normal nozzle and reverse the other showed a new round nozzle and a duel reverse bucket used on the boats that do not have rudders so I assume that is an error I believe several boats have done away with the Achilleas keel and gone to independent throttle control and a steering wheel so it probably has the x drive. or something similar 2024 Yamaha 255XD (BPT1800GA) Jet Unit 2 | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House the first one is probably wrong and this one is the new style 2024 Yamaha 255XD (BPT1800GA) Jet Unit 1 | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House
Do you have a CJS setup for the 255XD with X Drive and the dual reverse buckets?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do you have a CJS setup for the 255XD with X Drive and the dual reverse buckets?
I have numerous patents for steering for that type of nozzle and reverse bucket but I am sitting back waiting to see how people like them and how they hold up , so far I have only heard from people who do not like it at all but then people who do like it would probably not be contacting me if they are happy but I am open to input from anyone on either side of the fence, they started using that system a year ago I believe

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have numerous patents for steering for that type of nozzle and reverse bucket but I am sitting back waiting to see how people like them and how they hold up , so far I have only heard from people who do not like it at all but then people who do like it would probably not be contacting me if they are happy but I am open to input from anyone on either side of the fence, they started using that system a year ago I believe
I’ll be in touch in the next month or so. I had your system on my 242X and it was one of the best upgrades I installed.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
While walking the lot yesterday I noticed that the 255XD didn't have an articulating keel. I may be wrong since I was more focused on the XD, but I don’t feel like any of the 255 models had them.

Which models have the articulating keel now and which don’t? I feel like that was a big + in the past on my 242. Any ideas as to why they went way from it? New Drive X reverse bucket design not work well with it?
You are correct. NO Keel on the 2024 255XD. I have discussed this with Cobra as well and will see what comes out of it after a good summer season. Maneuverability is descent at speed and at NO Wake but of course could be better. DriveX does take some getting used to. Just like feathering the throttles you have to be patient and feel out the boat.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Some photos of the Jet Pumps. Notice the underwater light right in the middle of where the Keel would mount......

Please do not mind the dirt line as I have since cleaned/waxed her.

Attachments

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You are correct. NO Keel on the 2024 255XD. I have discussed this with Cobra as well and will see what comes out of it after a good summer season. Maneuverability is descent at speed and at NO Wake but of course could be better. DriveX does take some getting used to. Just like feathering the throttles you have to be patient and feel out the boat.
I’m looking forward to seeing how Drive X is going to handle at my local marina. I had jet skis and waverunners thru most of my younger years so I was pretty familiar with the way a jet boat would handle when I purchased my 242X in 2017. I pissed off many non-jet boat owners in the 4 years that I had it. Twin sticking it to rotate it in place, spinning the stern around and backing into the dock to let people off without having to tie up, and parallel parking/docking it between other boats in the wind. You could literally see other boaters look on in disbelief and then turn green with envy. It was great.