• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha can't fix my new ar240ho. Ugh. HELP*****

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My boat has a faint white noise sound when it was new. For whatever reason I don't really hear it as much these days. Not sure if I just got used to it or it went away but next time out in the boat I'll sit down in the seat (I usually ride with the bolster up) and see if I can still hear it. Here's my old thread on it White noise from steering wheel

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has nothing to do with the new keel. It was removed. Its 100 percent the steering cables. Yamaha cant fix it. They know there is a issue but instead of trying to resolve it they just deem it normal. I guess that's their escape goat. They got my money so they hold all the cards. Their is nothing I can do but try and fix it myself. I wrapped the entire steering cables in noodles. Did nothing. I just spent $150 in sound proofing. I have been slowly picking at it. I have countless hours in this. I haven't taking the boat out since I did my third stage of soundproofing. If it works I will post some pics. The bottom line here is why would you send Yamaha techs out to repair a boat that the Yamaha dealer says isn't right. Change the steering cables and gear box to resolve nothing then just deem it normal. If it was normal you wouldn't be changing parts. I find this all very disturbing.
I had a similar problem with a brand new air conditioning unit. The did everything except replace both inside and outside units and deemed it normal. I appealed with logic similar to yours....if it has the same problem after hours and hours of work, multiple visits, replacing some but not all components, then having the same issue that led you to do all the work then how or why in the world would you call it normal? Because you couldn't fix it? At the end of the day they brought a smarter person out who fixed it after I threatened legal action with certified letter from an attorney.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this affecting all new 24' ARs? Or, just a few?
To answer your question @BigAbe75, not all are affected. I had a white noise issue pop up during one outing when my boat was new. It went away on its own. On my boat, I am certain that the noise came from one of my tachs. When I start the electronics on my boat, the tachs "initialize" by having the needles move from zero to max on the dial. It is the exact same noise that I heard when I briefly had the white noise issue. I expect that there are many sources of resonant noise on boats, so I don't think that my situation is the root cause of all the white noise issues, but I bet that my case is not the only one like it.

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tachs do make a noise at start up but mine is definitely from the steering cables over 5000 rpm. It is very loud and changes pitch by turning the steering wheel.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tachs do make a noise at start up but mine is definitely from the steering cables over 5000 rpm. It is very loud and changes pitch by turning the steering wheel.
The first time that I brought my boat to my local dealer to fix leaks, they informed me that all Yamahas leak, and that if I wanted them to look into it on my boat, I'd have to agree to pay them for their time/parts if they tried and couldn't find the leak. I agreed. The found the leaks and Yamaha covered the repairs.
I wonder if you strike a deal with your dealership to have them replace the steering cables on your dime, but if it corrects the noise issue, they get Yamaha to cover the job.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The first time that I brought my boat to my local dealer to fix leaks, they informed me that all Yamahas leak, and that if I wanted them to look into it on my boat, I'd have to agree to pay them for their time/parts if they tried and couldn't find the leak. I agreed. The found the leaks and Yamaha covered the repairs.
I wonder if you strike a deal with your dealership to have them replace the steering cables on your dime, but if it corrects the noise issue, they get Yamaha to cover the job.
All Yamahas leak? Tell me more.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All Yamahas leak? Tell me more.
There are quite a few threads on this forum about leaky boats. Although my local dealership tried to convince me that it's normal, I just refused to accept that my brand new boat leaked, so perseverance paid off, and one by one, the leaks were identified and corrected under warranty.