• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha can't fix my new ar240ho. Ugh. HELP*****

Milton dog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a brand new 2016 ar240ho. This is my third Yamaha jet boat. My friend and I both bought new Yamaha boats. His is fine and my has a vibration in the dash from the steering cables chattering. Over 5000 rpm the cables make this annoying noise that comes thru the dash. Sounds like you have your tv on no station and it is turned up super loud. Drives me crazy. Took it to the dealer and they told me it wasn't normal. They spent a few weeks trying to fix it but They couldn't. I told them I would bring it back after the season. Since then I have rode in 2 brand new yamaha's that did not make the noise. I just got word today that Yamaha is telling dealer that it is normal. Yamaha did this by a video dealer sent them of my boat. Really. Dealer told me that Yamaha said one dealer has changed the complete steering box and cables and it didn't fix this issue. So other people must be complaining to. I see no other posts what so ever about anybody complaining about this though. Does anybody have this issue or know the cure. I believe this is happening on a small basis and it is getting swept under the rug. I asked yamaha to send a tech out and they won't. Spent over 50k for a new boat and I'm so dissapointed. Should of kept my old one.

Yes, I have had the same problem with my 2016 AR 240 HO.

I have a vibration on the dashboard from the steering cables.

First, I have always had great experiences with all my yamaha products!
NOT A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH MY NEW AR240HO!
THE BOAT HAS 5.5 HOURS ON IT AND A VIBRATION IN THE DASH!

At first yamaha said it was NORMAL TO HAVE A VIBRATION IN THE DASH FROM THE STEERING CABLES on a $60,000.00 boat!

After having to argue with yamaha, they finally replaced the steering cables and steering box.
This did not solve the problem!
Same vibration as before!
YAMAHA DOESN'T HAVE A SOLUTION TO FIX THE VIBRATION!
THIS IS AN ENGINEERING DESIGN FLAW.

You are not alone!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would have thought that by now a couple of determined people with some skills would have gone out on a mission to locate the cause and remedy it. If someone was near me with that issue I would take it as a challenge to locate the culprit and devise a remedy for it.
Once you have that problem it will haunt you I know my hoods were doing the same thing, high pitched vibrations with an eerie sound that increased with speed, it turned out to be harmonic vibration from the pump. I replaced the pump liner and it was reduced but not totally gone so I did a few other minor things to eliminate it that would not apply to boats however the impeller being slightly out of balance could cause this in a boat. The boats are new but that means nothing really. Remember the oil cooler bolts and timing chains proved that. Heck it could be anywhere in the drivetrain especially since it is effected by r p m's and it is then being telegraphed through the steering cables.

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you share the video? I think seeing it and hearing it will give this jet boat forum crew some insight and may lead to some creative ideas / troubleshooting / and maybe a solution.

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the call from Yamaha today. They said they will fix my boat.

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well got another call from Yamaha today They won't fix the problem. What a roller coaster ride. I'm done buying Yamaha products.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well got another call from Yamaha today They won't fix the problem. What a roller coaster ride. I'm done buying Yamaha products.
What was the reason that they changed their decision to fix it?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't imagine spending this kind of money on a new boat only to have material issues that the manufacture refuses to fix. The two members (@Milton dog and @gmonarch) that have the issue don't appear to have posted their location. Perhaps someone with sound proofing, engine, and jet pump experience like @swatski might be willing to give a hand to figure it out and fix it if in the same locale and properly persuaded. I do believe the dealer or manufacture should fix this but they aren't and all other recourse takes time with the risk of being unsuccessful. Sometimes you just have to take matters in your own hands (even though you should not have to) and make the best of it.

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha made a change to the 2016 boats from what I'm told. This change in some platform is why they say it is vibrating. This is what they think. So they are calling it normal. Makes no sense. So if they have issue's with their boats. They just have to say that's it's normal and they don't have to fix it. The one guy is in Texas. He has 5 hours on his boat. He is trading it in. He is fed up with Yamaha's bullshit. I have 10 hours on mine. I'm going to fight them to the end. I'm in Michigan. This means some of the 2017 will have the same issue. There is a person with a smaller Yamaha that has this issue to. It is very upsetting to spend $60000 and get treated like this. 2 weeks ago they admitted they had a problem and said they would fix my boat or do whatever it takes to make me happy. Yesterday they said it is normal for my boat to do this. I have bought 3 Yamaha boats, 4 Yamaha snowmobiles, 4 Yamaha wave runners, 2 Yamaha four wheelers and 2 Yamaha dirt bikes. Do the math it's crazy money. I'm done with them.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep I pulled hatch. I don't think there was enough room for noodles but I will check again.
I would open the fuel hatch/cover, 4 allen bolts. There should be plenty of room to install insulation around any of the cables. And see what vibrates and makes noise. Pool noodles, maybe neoprene pipe insulation, or Ensolite, could help. But at the least you may be able to identify the culprit.

upload_2016-12-23_1-1-24.png

--

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I lost my battle with Yamaha. They sent a team of techs out to fix my boat. When they couldn't fix it they deemed it normal. I have been trying to fix it now for months. I beleive the other gentlemen that had the same issue sold his Yamaha. If anyone comes up with a fix I'm all ears.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is a tool that works by detecting noise at different frequencies. We use one for finding all types of problems in the power plant. Maybe buy chance some place in your area might have one or there are companies that do it for a fee look for someone who does Predictive Maintenance on large motors ,fan, bearings, and switchgear and ask if they have one or may know someone who does. This would be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I would offer to loan ours but it's too important and need to keep it at the plant in case something pops up. If you lived close we would be able to figure something out.
http://www.uesystems.com/about-us

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gm0narch, I know that it sounds kind of silly, but disconnect your tachs, and see if the noise goes away.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you are idling forward lay your hand on the throttles do you feel any vibrations or puling on them? I'm wondering if your reverse bucket is not set right and in forward gear the jet thrust is hitting one of them just a little and causing this vibration through the steering cable especially at higher rpm.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I lost my battle with Yamaha. They sent a team of techs out to fix my boat. When they couldn't fix it they deemed it normal. I have been trying to fix it now for months. I beleive the other gentlemen that had the same issue sold his Yamaha. If anyone comes up with a fix I'm all ears.
So everyone seems to think it's the cables?
From your picture i don't see why that would be the case.
Maybe some wire seperators like for spark plug wires so they don't touch each other.
Looks like they are tight up against the fuel tank too though which could resonate from engine rpm easy enough. See if there is rubber shims around the tank. My 2008 does. If not perhaps it needs something to dampen that?
Just shooting out ideas

j smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's definitely the steering cables. My 2017 AR240 has this noise too.
It's worse when going straight, and then the noise goes away when turning, most likely because there's a "load" or "resistance" on the cables. I have a feeling it can be minimized or eliminated with adjustments to the alignment of the buckets, but haven't messed with it yet. The noise is bothersome, but not enough to make me tackle it just yet.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sounds like you guys just need to trade me boats! I have a tower but no steering issues except needing oil from time to time. Even trade?

massmtnbikn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe try disconnecting the linkage to the articulating keel?
If its worse going straight and at higher rpms, it could be some engine vibration resonating through the hull, articulating keel, and up through the linkages

gmonarch

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has nothing to do with the new keel. It was removed. Its 100 percent the steering cables. Yamaha cant fix it. They know there is a issue but instead of trying to resolve it they just deem it normal. I guess that's their escape goat. They got my money so they hold all the cards. Their is nothing I can do but try and fix it myself. I wrapped the entire steering cables in noodles. Did nothing. I just spent $150 in sound proofing. I have been slowly picking at it. I have countless hours in this. I haven't taking the boat out since I did my third stage of soundproofing. If it works I will post some pics. The bottom line here is why would you send Yamaha techs out to repair a boat that the Yamaha dealer says isn't right. Change the steering cables and gear box to resolve nothing then just deem it normal. If it was normal you wouldn't be changing parts. I find this all very disturbing.

massmtnbikn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
my suggestion was more about what is causing it, not where the noise is coming from.
I'm sure you've spent enough time with it to know the noise is coming from the cables.
Its likely a tolerance stackup or difference in coatings that allow the noise to occur within the cable. Have you tried a gentle kink to the cable housing?